Password box mess up

CRJ_simpilot

I read your post and agree that there is a problem, but as there's no response I guess that you & I appear to be the only ones affected by it?

Every time I enter my user name and password I get the Error Message but when I enter the identical information into it - bingo! straight through.

Something's not right somewhere.

I have been around a ton of years, with several different versions of Windows and browsers, and I never had a problem until lately. My browser does not 'remember' (save) my log in info so i have to 'Log In' everytime I visit (which is just about every day). No biggee. I can cope. I imagine this 'new' way is designed to deter scammers and/or hackers. Sign of the times!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I have no issue staying logged in, and the last time I did so there weren't any issues with the password field.

+1 I never log out of the 3 sites that I visit unless there was a server problem that requires it! (very rare). My Chromebook has no problem remembering the login for each site, so it's just one click and in! ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I suspect my problem is with my browser (Comodo Ice Dragon). But it remembers other sites. New servers could possibly not like the 'dinasour' browser that I use. Get a 'new / modern' browser (60 mb compared to 3 mb) to 'fix'? Nah. A 'One Click' to log in is just not a big thing.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I come to this site almost daily and have been unable to have a clean entry for about the last 5-6 x .

Me too 5-6 consecutive attempts now. At my age you wonder if you need a mental status exam. Helps to know others have similar problem. This is the best site around and will be ok now. Thanks for Flightsim.com

• Founder

The flawed logic in this discussion is assuming that the web site changed and never considering the problem might lie with your own computer.

I am aware of the problem, and I've see it myself. The thing is, the web site has not changed in years. So I have to believe it's some recent change in the browser(s) that is causing the problem.

At this time I'm not aware of anything that can be done about it, as we are unable to determine exactly what the problem is. The full login page found at

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/login.php?do=login

still works just fine.

Found the issue. This had nothing to do with remembering a username and password. I never, EVER do that because it's rife for an attack. I know because I know cybersecurity and all the rest. At my website the remember me login is remembered for a predetermined amount of time and then that persistent cookie expires.

So the issue with me was with an add-on acting up all of sudden which never had before. This add-on changes the UA to make it look like I'm using a certain browser. I use this add-on since I use a niche browser called Pale Moon and its default UA looks like crap to some sites and thus they put up a fuss. If it's not the big three browsers, it seems they give you crap. So only allowing the default browser UA for this domain, the password and username box works again.

This same behavior was happening in Firefox as well, and while I have an add-on that does the same thing with the UA, there's something else going on I think.

The commonality between both browsers is probably due to a shared code change between Pale Moon and Firefox and the ability to forge the UA. I've been doing this since Firefox -what ever version- circa 2007 and have had ZERO issues. Leave it to code changes. It could in fact be a shared code to patch a CVE. I probably could narrow down the exact code change, but I'm not in the mood and having to install Visual Studio. It is what it is.

Yes, I see this is a very old version of vBulletin. Question: Do you have a mod, script or what ever vBulletin uses to at least use Bcrypt hashing? I'm thinking this version uses MD5 which is a massive no, no. phpBB now uses Argon2. Bcrypt was old school. LOL

Guest Rao Shaheryar
yes i read out your question but I have no issue staying logged in, and the last time I did so there weren't any issues with the password field.

• 2 months later...
So I have to believe it's some recent change in the browser(s) that is causing the problem.

That's probably what it is. I have been forging my UA for at least 14 years and have had no problems once so ever until this recent update in my niche browser Pale Moon. I could try it in Firefox, but I really don't care right now. As I said, I'd have to look at the core code in the browser to see what is going on. Even then I'd be making a guess as to what it really is. My best course of action would be to ask at the Pale Moon forum.

Edit-

And never mind. My opening post said I used three browsers and got the same results. Forgot I did that. Yeah, it's something browser related and the interaction with this older vBulletin forum. Nothing like this at my forum, and if there ever was I'd fix it right quick or make a pull request or what ever at the phpBB website.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot