GPU availability (vent thread)

I have pretty much given up on getting a new GPU at this point. I thinks its more than fair to call out Nvidia on this. It was a paper launch.

The next time you are frustrated with the bugs in this sim redirect your ire at Nvidia. They deserve it. Compared to Nvidia ASOBOs launch of this sim was flawless.

It is actually shared blame. When the 3000 series GPUs came out, a number of the assemblers decided to go cheap on the capacitor array, and a huge number of the initial release failed quickly. Nvidia was caught off guard, and everything slowed down to ascertain the problem. Then suddenly the demand went through the roof. The supply is trickling out, but the better 3000 series are very hard to find, and prices are exorbitant, and wait times on builds of new PCs is now often several months. It may resolve after the Christmas rush is over?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Yes we know NVIDA has a backlog for various reasons including COVID.

But what's natman's problem?

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

No problems with getting GPUs & CPUs here in the UK. We've already got 3 RTX 3070s and a 3060 ti from Scan.co.uk. Had to order under different ids to get them though as it's only one per customer. Also got a 5600X CPU from them and a nice M.2 1 tb SSD on its way to top off my system. You have to be very quick when they become available though.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Amazon has 3060s and 3070s available with delivery on Friday.

There is a 3080 listed for $1,500.

I can't imagine why anyone would be so desperate to have a 3080 right now.

I'm chugging along fine with my 1080ti and I'll stay with that until cards equal to or better than the RTX 3080 are selling for $399 or so.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Yes we know NVIDA has a backlog for various reasons including COVID.

But what's natman's problem?

My problem is I can remember a day when launching a product meant that there were pallets of them sitting at retailers waiting to be sold to live human beings the day of launch and if this got screwed up there were consequences.

Amazon has 3060s and 3070s available with delivery on Friday.

There is a 3080 listed for $1,500.

I can't imagine why anyone would be so desperate to have a 3080 right now.

I'm chugging along fine with my 1080ti and I'll stay with that until cards equal to or better than the RTX 3080 are selling for $399 or so.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Why would anyone pay these outrageous prices to scalpers is beyond me. And the same goes for the people paying double for the Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo. I can wait until Feb15 for mine to ship for 250.00. My system is getting me on average 40fps so no way and I spending twice what the system cost just to go from High settings to Ultra. That is just insane.

Ryzen 7 5800X@4.7ghz, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 32 Gig Gskill 3600, AMD 6800XT Black, Corsair 850w, Soundblaster Z, Samsung 970 M.2 1tb for o/s, Samsung 850 Evo 500g for MSFS, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb for Games

I suspect lockdowns are compounding the problem, part of my rational for upgrading the PC was that I was going to spend a big part of the winter stuck inside so splashing out was justified! I was fortunate to get hold a 3070 early on.
System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

My problem is I can remember a day when launching a product meant that there were pallets of them sitting at retailers waiting to be sold to live human beings the day of launch and if this got screwed up there were consequences.

Of course those days weren't during the pandemic when all sorts of people and companies got taken by surprise when they had to slow or stop production and perhaps had to lay off employees AND when they couldn't get the parts they needed to fill a commitment (because their suppliers had the same problem, and they had to meet legal requirements), and adjusting that sort of thing for the changes isn't a 30 minute job. That's just ONE of thousands of things that are different because of the pandemic. You can bet that nVidia and many other companies wish they could meet demand in real time instead of having to place things on backorder, but they didn't order the pandemic...

Do you remember that soap, toilet paper, etc. went through that too?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Why would anyone pay these outrageous prices to scalpers is beyond me. And the same goes for the people paying double for the Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo. I can wait until Feb15 for mine to ship for 250.00. My system is getting me on average 40fps so no way and I spending twice what the system cost just to go from High settings to Ultra. That is just insane.

Completely agree on all points. My 2060 works just fine everywhere on High settings. People just don't realize for this sim high frame rates just don't really matter.

Completely agree on all points. My 2060 works just fine everywhere on High settings. People just don't realize for this sim high frame rates just don't really matter.

They do to me, though anything over 20 is playable. I've just finished upgrading my system with a 5600X, RTX 3070 and an M.2 SSD and now I can max out MSFS with lots of addons. I can't max out traffic though without something else having to give.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I guess I am starting to get old/old fashion. IMO what nvidia should have done was delay launch until stock was more available and been honest with there customers as to the reasons why. This would have prevented a lot bad blood from developing. Even the tech channels on youtube that usually bend over back wards to work with companies like Nvidia are having a hard time justifying what went on with the launch or like I said paper launch.

Large retailers like micro center and best buy getting a grand total of a dozen or so to sell to people on launch day. How do you not know thats going to PO everyone??????

Edited by natman1965

The last few generations of higher end Nvidia GPU launches have been nearly instant sellout on launch day with scarce availability for a few months afterwards.

With so many people isolating, the demand for PC gaming hardware has gone up greatly. Usually the biggest month for PC hardware sales volume is November because of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Many of the larger electronics and PC parts retailers have had PC parts sales volumes every month since March of 2020 that match November 2019's sales volume.

The 3000 series GPU launch crashed the servers of many large online retailers because the volume was so large. Even Amazon's servers were having issues on launch day to give you an idea of how large the demand was. Nvidia claimed they produced more GPUs for the 3000 series launch day than they did for the RTX 2000 series launch day. One tech news source said Nvidia produced three times as much as they did for the RTX 2000 series launch.

The demand for the RTX 3000 series GPUs has been huge. When the larger retailers get in a shipment of a few hundred 3090 cards, they sell out instantly. I don't think anyone predicted the demand for the cards. Never int he past have $1000+ graphics cards sold out that fast for months after launch.

Also, graphics card manufacturers have been having issues with component supply. They have been having issues getting resistors, capacitors, and voltage controllers in addition to other components. The shortage has been going on since last year. That component supply issue is adding to the supply issues of new graphics cards.

The 3000 series wasn't even close to being a paper launch. Its just that sales volumes and demand have been higher than expected. AMD is the graphics card and GPU vendor that had the paper launch this time. Their number of cards available at launch day was 10-15% the volume of the RTX 3080 at launch day for most larger retailers.

The supply is trickling out, but the better 3000 series are very hard to find, and prices are exorbitant, and wait times on builds of new PCs is now often several months. It may resolve after the Christmas rush is over?

I ordered my Omen 25L PC with an Nvidia 3070 GPU from HP on Jan. 1, with a promised shipping date of Jan. 27. Ship date is now showing as Jan. 29, with delivery by Feb. 4. It's probably been more than 10 years since I last ordered a PC online (from Dell), I don't remember such a long wait time for it. I assume the longer wait this time is related to HP's difficulty sourcing these high-demand GPUs.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5