fs2020 VR recommendations....

Ok seen a few videos of pilots using VR headsets, I'm impressed with the visual quality.... I remember years back in the 2004 sim the VR sets where slated by the sim community...... So a little advice is what I'm looking for, what model/make are you using and what are we looking at cost wise...... I have dual screens running at 3840 x 1080, I was planning to buy a dual curved screen in one.... Now I'm interested in a VR kit and scrap the idea of a dual curved all in one screen, and most likely save some money...............

edit... forgot to mention I wear glasses too

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I currently have a three screen setup. It works quite well, despite MSFS not really supporting multiple screens yet.

However... since the big update last week I have flown in VR only. I’ve used an Oculus Rift CV1 previously (although not with MSFS) and I also own a Quest. My main headset though is my new Reverb G2 - I seriously recommend it.

I too wear glasses (all the time). For the Rift I had to buy a separate pair of glasses, smaller than my usual ones, but for the G2 my regular glasses fit just fine.

As for the headset.. it’s comfortable (more so than the two Oculus ones) & the display is much clearer than I’ve had previously.

Flying MSFS with the G2... wow! When I first tried it, there were stutters and the frame rates dropped dramatically... but this cleared after a minute or two. I realised that it was a good idea to sit on the tarmac for a couple of minutes before starting up.

I have since discovered that if I launch VR mode while still in the menu screen or even while the flight is loading.. then it’s smooth from the start.

The G2 was around £500 up until July 31st. I thought it was expensive so resisted buying.. until August 2nd.. it then cost me about £639! I regret not buying two days earlier LOL

Still, I’m glad I got it and I’m sure you won’t regret it if you do. The feeling of actually being sat in an aircraft is incredible. You just don’t get that with 2d screens.

I know some say that you can’t read the gauges clearly in VR.. well they can’t use this argument anymore, because you can! Certainly in the G2 anyway.

Yesterday, I even sat in the back of TBM while the copilot flew the plane. So realistic! (except that I couldn’t actually see him flying it)

One major issue though is that MSFS is even more addictive! I was up until 1.20am last night flying around Courchevel. Prior to that it was the mountains of North Wales. Absolutely stunning!

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

yes that copilot needs a good dressing down ha.... Thankyou, review helps enormously, I think the Reverb G2 maybe just the ticket I'm looking for.... topman cheers........

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

No worries. I’m certainly impressed with it.

I made this little clip last week. Not brilliant but I’ll give you the idea. Apologies for the “left lens only” view,as I haven’t quite got the hang of recording it

http://www.steveharding.com/EGCC_in_VR.mp4

and this one using Xplane

http://www.steveharding.com/inside737.mov

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Your first vid is like, what the fudge ha... but the Xplane vid sells it, to me it's looks very impressive like being there.... does it come with some kind of hand attachment so you can interact with the switches.....

I will see on Scan Uk if they have any in stock......Thank you so much Steve.........

Forgive my total ignorance on the subject. The first video shows great clarity but is what you see with the headset on what I would call 'black scuba mask' effect. Namely no peripheral perspective, just a central view thru a lens? Secondly, does using a VR headset mean you don't see or use your desktop PC monitor at all inflight?

Like I said, to a small extent I know what I don't know about VR, so I'm asking. I reckon I really should seek a YouTube "VR for dummies" tutorial - lol

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

“I will see on Scan Uk if they have any in stock”.

I hope they’ve got them but you may have to wait a little while if not. As most things flight sim related, there’s a shortage at the moment, and of course it’s a new product.

I ordered mine in August and it arrived early December. Mind you.. HP have promised me (& others) a £50 cashback due to the delays. That’s not bad :)

The “scuba mask” view is always there to some extent, but nothing like in my (first) video. It was how I captured/recorded the footage. You don’t use your monitor/screen once you’re in VR mode. With my old Rift, you could actually see a little through a gap by your nose, but the G2 has a flappy piece of rubber which goes (very comfortably) over your nose, blocking pretty much all light from getting. Much better!

I’ll have to do a better clip of MSFS & post it.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Forgive my total ignorance on the subject. The first video shows great clarity but is what you see with the headset on what I would call 'black scuba mask' effect. Namely no peripheral perspective, just a central view thru a lens? Secondly, does using a VR headset mean you don't see or use your desktop PC monitor at all inflight?

Like I said, to a small extent I know what I don't know about VR, so I'm asking. I reckon I really should seek a YouTube "VR for dummies" tutorial - lol

we're in the same boat on this topic.......

My son got the Oculus Rift S for Christmas, then made the mistake of going to his grandmas for the night. I gave it a go with X Plane, and WOW!! No, there is for sure not a scuba mask effect. It was the first time as a flight simmer I truly felt like I was in the plane, and the visual tomfoolery played on me had me feeling the motion. Just being able to look around, and lean in on the instruments was wild. Videos don't do it justice. It really gives you a feel of being there.

I have 3 screens as well but struggle with the lighting - lights all get stretched and look bigger than they should. Is there any way to correct this?

No, not at the moment. My left & right screens look stretched too. Not a lot when can do to correct it until multiple monitor support is added to the sim.

Regards

Steve

Aspect ratio is good on two screens, giving a realistic field of view of the cockpit... but still you're on the outside looking in...... Edited by daspinall

My son got the Oculus Rift S for Christmas, then made the mistake of going to his grandmas for the night. I gave it a go with X Plane, and WOW!! No, there is for sure not a scuba mask effect. It was the first time as a flight simmer I truly felt like I was in the plane, and the visual tomfoolery played on me had me feeling the motion. Just being able to look around, and lean in on the instruments was wild. Videos don't do it justice. It really gives you a feel of being there.

I couldn’t agree more. Only this afternoon I found myself putting my right arm up to lean against the seat next to me... but of course the seat didn’t actually exist LOL

I find myself doing things like this all the time. You’re brain is fooled into thinking it/you are actually there :)

I’ve just been trying to capture a bit more from MSFS. It must be down to my audio outputs but it doesn’t capture the sound correctly, so please accept my apologies (& the video is a bit shaky, sorry)

http://www.steveharding.com/msfs_vr.mp4

Videos don’t really do VR justice. The fighter jet in the clip is the MB-339

The gauges are crystal clear with the G2, as you can see.

Regards

Steve

With your recommendations and this video I just found I'm now completely sold on the HP Reverb, you both seem blown away with the graphics, and that is my main concern... this guy don't like the controllers

I’ve watched this one before (& just watched it again) yes, he sold me it too LOL

I personally don’t have an issue with the controllers. They’re larger than the Rift or Quest controllers but they certainly look nice... they light up quite brightly & like a little spaceships LOL (you’ll see what I mean when you get them)

Regarding the battery life.. they probably don’t last as long as others, but for a user of MSFS they should last a while, because you don’t/can’t use the controllers with MSFS. You can with Xplane though.

Regards

Steve

If you don't mind spending some extra money, you can get the "Triple Head To Go" by Matrox. That is what I have used for triple monitor cockpit views for years. And it works perfectly in MSFS 2020. It stretches the cockpit view across a 3 monitor system without any distortions. The only down side is it costs around $250. Fortunately, I purchased it about 12 or so years ago for $150, which was outrageous back then. It works great with MSFS 2020 or any other flight simulation. No distortions or anything. It is available at Amazon. I would get the digital version if you are looking for one.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I’ve actually got one. I haven’t used it for years and it never occurred to me that it might work with MSFS.

I might have to try it, although I fly in VR now

Regards

Steve

As the involvement of VR Headsets has been infused in this conversation, my birthday present was an Oculus Rift S which I had to pay $800 for it in April. It works great in all the flight sims I have purchased. There is some screen door effects with the Rift S but overall I like how it looks. When the HP Reverb 2 price comes down to a reasonable price, I will buy it.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I haven’t tried the Rift S. I did have the older, Rift CV1 but I sold it a few months ago to help pay (partly) for the G2, which is fantastic:)

Regards

Steve

I’ve actually got one. I haven’t used it for years and it never occurred to me that it might work with MSFS.

I might have to try it, although I fly in VR now

Regards

Steve

I like to fly in VR all the time also because I, too am amazed at how the cockpit looks as if you are inside it. It is amazing technology in today's environment. I, too, have reached for things that were not there. That is how amazing VR works in flight simulators.

I will have to save some money to get the HP reverb 2. Then I will give my Oculus Rift S to my son-in-law.

As the involvement of VR Headsets has been infused in this conversation, my birthday present was an Oculus Rift S which I had to pay $800 for it in April. It works great in all the flight sims I have purchased. There is some screen door effects with the Rift S but overall I like how it looks. When the HP Reverb 2 price comes down to a reasonable price, I will buy it.

That's brilliant, I was calling it blurry but screen door effect is much more accurate. Glad it wasn't just me. Doesn't take away from the fun factor, but wish it was a bit clearer.

How much CPU and GPU power does it take to drive the VR systems to just wonderful viewing?

Other VR threads on other forums seemed to be saying that a RTX 2080 was barely sufficient to give a good VR show. But, it looks like most of you are quite happy with the 2080.

And, is it true that the GPU really needs more than 10GB VRAM?

Edited by tacomasailor
i7-9700K / 32GB DDR4 memory / RTX 3060 Ti with 8GB /Flight Sim on SSD and Win10 on separate SSD / 375 MegaBit / Second internet connection / HP Reverb G2

How much CPU and GPU power does it take to drive the VR systems to just wonderful viewing?

Other VR threads on other forums seemed to be saying that a RTX 2080 was barely sufficient to give a good VR show. But, it looks like most of you are quite happy with the 2080.

And, is it true that the GPU really needs more than 10GB VRAM?

Apparently, I have not read those reviews. I have personal and practical experience with the RTX 2080 and it works beautifully with my setup. The new MSFS 2020 also looks fantastic with my headset. I have NO Problems with my computer running MSFS 2020. Perhaps, you are being misled? My GeForce GTX 2080 Video Card Has 8Gb of memory, so no, you don't need 10Gb.

Sometimes I can't help myself ha..... I received a very sweet deal from ScanUk with Quest 2, that I could not walk away from! for being a valued customer, plus knowing the family helps ha... the G2 is now on ice until a price drop... don't worry your good advice has not gone to waste I will end up buying the G2 thanks all for the valuable feedback........... purchasing the optical cable over the C3 cable will give it that extra edge, although costly..... £80/£90

VRSIM.jpg

Edited by daspinall