fs2020 VR recommendations....

Especially for those who get the 'woozies' using VR, a much lower cost alternative to full VR goggles would be one of the IR Head Tracker systems. No motion sickness potential since it simply eliminates the need to use a hat switch or keys to look around in the sim. Less immersive perhaps, but IMHO a great option. One of the best $75 PC gizmos I've used of late. Edited by chicagorandy

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few weeks in and I'm loving Oculus Quest 2 I managed to up the resolution and and refresh rate, thanks to a lovely Chinese girl on Youtube.... In everything except flight sim the graphics are awesome... Steam sent an update last night so will check fs2020 again today........ I'm so over the moon I bought this and not a dual screen in one!! It's allowed me to visit so many places in the world and not just in FS2020... Yesterday I did the prescription lenses, god knows when they arrive...... all in all I'm very very impressed...... one day I will be saying the same regards the HP Reverb.....

https://vroptician.com/prescription-...oculus-quest2/

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

A few weeks in and I'm loving Oculus Quest 2 I managed to up the resolution and and refresh rate, thanks to a lovely Chinese girl on Youtube.... In everything except flight sim the graphics are awesome... Steam sent an update last night so will check fs2020 again today........ I'm so over the moon I bought this and not a dual screen in one!! It's allowed me to visit so many places in the world and not just in FS2020... Yesterday I did the prescription lenses, god knows when they arrive...... all in all I'm very very impressed...... one day I will be saying the same regards the HP Reverb.....

https://vroptician.com/prescription-...oculus-quest2/

Hi, I’m so glad you’re enjoying it :) I have spent so much of my time flying vr over the last few days. Take a look at Lukla airport in vr if you haven't already.

I personally find the smaller, single seat aircraft (or two seats with one behind the other) are the best for VR. I especially recommend the Model 61 Long-EZ from IndiaFoxTecho & also the Aermacchi MB-339 (both are now available in the Marketplace) both are excellent but the Long-EZ is a bit like a motorised glider. Not quick and very good for sightseeing.

very short (silent) clip taken from the Long-Ez at Lukla...

http://www.steveharding.com/long_ez1.mp4

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Agreed Steve, I think the VR in the TBM is spot on it just feels perfect..... Also I never realized how compact the cockpit is on this plane..... .all in all no complaints..... A few CTD's when I first set up the VR, but that was my end not any fault of the sim which seems very stable now........ what a journey, from upgrades to overcoming CTD's to finally enjoying what the sim is all about Flying!! I think that's me done in this thread.......

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

One last point, if you install Virtual Desktop on your VR headset you can do away with the cable from headset to the computer and connect with wifi..... there are good videos on youtube explaining every step..... It's a bit of a fiddle to set up, but once running boy is it ever worth it, YES....

Especially for those who get the 'woozies' using VR, a much lower cost alternative to full VR goggles would be one of the IR Head Tracker systems. No motion sickness potential since it simply eliminates the need to use a hat switch or keys to look around in the sim.

I'll use TrackIR 5 to start. I might try VR later, but I've been assembling a physical control system--yoke, throttle quadrant, radio panel, etc., some components of which probably wouldn't be of much use to me in VR, so I might just stick with TrackIR. My start date was just pushed up with news from HP that my assembled-to-order computer has shipped. Based on HP's original projected shipping date of Jan. 29, I didn't expect to receive it before Feb. 4. Now, I should get it by Monday at the latest, if not sooner. Once I have it, it'll take a couple of days to "move in," and buy and download MSFS '20.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Here's a guide to make Quest 2 wireless This has to be the best compleat video instruction YES NO CABLE when using VR..... I followed his instructions and IT WORKS......

Happy new PC Aptosflier Try VR and you will be totally hooked..... With TrackIR you are still looking in from the outside, with VR you're looking out from the inside it's as real as it gets with today's tech........

Edited by daspinall
added more info

• 3 weeks later...
Today I ordered the HP Reverb G2... and will order the prescription lenses later tonight..... I thoroughly enjoy the quest 2, lots of cool games and things to do, even watching big screen movies in bed..... But Quest 2 and flight sim are not quite there resolution of the dials is very poor and thus spoils the illusion of really being there..... The Reverb G2 I will use exclusively for msfs, will hang on to the guest headset for playing games and watching movies......... Was it worth getting Quest and not just buying the Reverb, in short YES!!!! it's been a very good introduction into the world of VR....

Happy new PC Aptosflier Try VR and you will be totally hooked..... With TrackIR you are still looking in from the outside, with VR you're looking out from the inside it's as real as it gets with today's tech........

It's the totally hooked part that worries me.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

It's the totally hooked part that worries me.

wired with with quest I take it.......there's an app called Sidequest and virtual desktop that will free Quest two from the cable for MSFS...... But I would say the Reverb G2 is far better for MSFS as it's has better resolution and is wifi native for MSFS no extra apps needed....

Edited by daspinall

Anyone know where to purchase the HP reverb G2??

I bought mine from System Active (UK)

https://systemactive.co.uk/online/hp-reverb-g2/

I had to wait several months though. I don’t know what the situation is now but I’m guessing you’ll have to wait a week or two

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, great to hear - I think you answer what I am looking to do too. sounds like the G2 is the best option - looks like this was a recent post too. I am using Plane and helicopters so wondering if you are MS202 only our tried G2 with Xplane too ? cheers, Dan

Hi, I currently have a three screen setup. It works quite well, despite MSFS not really supporting multiple screens yet.

However... since the big update last week I have flown in VR only. I’ve used an Oculus Rift CV1 previously (although not with MSFS) and I also own a Quest. My main headset though is my new Reverb G2 - I seriously recommend it.

I too wear glasses (all the time). For the Rift I had to buy a separate pair of glasses, smaller than my usual ones, but for the G2 my regular glasses fit just fine.

As for the headset.. it’s comfortable (more so than the two Oculus ones) & the display is much clearer than I’ve had previously.

Flying MSFS with the G2... wow! When I first tried it, there were stutters and the frame rates dropped dramatically... but this cleared after a minute or two. I realised that it was a good idea to sit on the tarmac for a couple of minutes before starting up.

I have since discovered that if I launch VR mode while still in the menu screen or even while the flight is loading.. then it’s smooth from the start.

The G2 was around £500 up until July 31st. I thought it was expensive so resisted buying.. until August 2nd.. it then cost me about £639! I regret not buying two days earlier LOL

Still, I’m glad I got it and I’m sure you won’t regret it if you do. The feeling of actually being sat in an aircraft is incredible. You just don’t get that with 2d screens.

I know some say that you can’t read the gauges clearly in VR.. well they can’t use this argument anymore, because you can! Certainly in the G2 anyway.

Yesterday, I even sat in the back of TBM while the copilot flew the plane. So realistic! (except that I couldn’t actually see him flying it)

One major issue though is that MSFS is even more addictive! I was up until 1.20am last night flying around Courchevel. Prior to that it was the mountains of North Wales. Absolutely stunning!

Regards

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Mission impossible it good to have contacts ha...... To days the day I enter HP G2 heaven xxxxx

hp-vr.jpg

Saw this meme, laughed out loud and thought I'd share it -

jzxDADG.jpg

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Mission impossible it good to have contacts ha...... To days the day I enter HP G2 heaven xxxxx

[ATTACH=CONFIG]225607[/ATTACH]

Please tell us how heaven is when you get there--and don't leave out any hiccups along the way.

Please tell us how heaven is when you get there--and don't leave out any hiccups along the way.

Well although I have Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR runtime installed when I select VR in fs2020 or hit Ctrl+Tab it says failed it can't detect OpenXR, but for everything else it's ok. It certainly is a big step up for visuals over the Quest 2.... Although I read yesterday Quest 2 is getting a refresh rate upgrade around the 140 mark........ In short I'm stuck at the moment with the OpenXR problem....

UPDATE I updated MS Store from within the head set, there were to my surprise quite a lot... AND A 1.3GIB FOR msfs2020.... Fired it all back up and it connected to the sim then CTD ha..... I'm off for tea will have another try later........

Edited by daspinall

• 3 weeks later...

Well a few weeks in and as far as MSFS is concerned G2 blows Gquest 2 out of the water. First thing to do with both these headsets is change the stock strap for a better one, this makes one hell of a difference... It provides more comfort and you're able to keep that sweet spot in place instead or always having to adjust the headset as the sweet spot slips away with movement... .... The Quest 2 is a good headset it really is for the price, but it's not going to make easy reading the dials clearly on the panel, you're going to have to lean in to read them. This I found lets the headset down when in MSFS... In games like Half-Life: Alyx VR you will love the Quest 2 overall the graphics are good enough to feel the full immersion into the game... I played it quite a lot on Quest 2 it's advantage is playing the game over wifi and no cable to trip over with of strangle yourself..... But G2 on the game and you get to see the very fine details in the graphics but you're fighting a cable for most part....... However in MSFS the G2 shines! you can sit back in your seat and scan the panel and read the dials effortless. I would would say the G2 is a big leap forward for MSFS over the Quest 2 you have finer graphics and this may not sound like a big deal at first but the G" is a lot lighter which makes it feel more comfortable giving you longer game play.... I may be correct on this, the G2 don't stream over wifi you have to use the cable... I have my cable coming out of the computer up and over the wardrobe and down to my headset and that works rather well when seated... and that's fine as your seated when flying, well most of ur are lol

If you only want VR for MSFS definitely get the G2, If you want the headset to play other VR content that involves moving around and fighting then Quest 2 wins over the G2 because of the ability to use wifi eliminating the cable..

I bought the Quest 2 because I could not get my hands on the G2.... I'm very pleased with the quest2 and use it for gaming and watching movies and tend to use the G" xclusively for flying... you know If i work out how much I've spent on MSFS over the months I could have paid for flying lessons in the real world ha.......

Aptosflier the only hiccup I found with the G2 is NO WIFI!

for thoses that ware glasses getting the VR Lenses £60 with postage and about a three week turn around from order to using them... The lens inserts make huge improvement over using glasses!!! Its a serious upgrade in its own right!!!!

Edited by daspinall

I'm still considering a G2 purchase in the future some time, but will say that the Quest 2 seems considerably improved. Maybe their last update accomplished this. I'm kind of in an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mode for now, since I love flying in VR with the Quest. The incentive to drop US$600 on a G2 just isn't that high.

The dials are still not perfect, that's true, but I know most of the dials without reading their letters. A single mouse click zooms them in.

I don't keep up on the VR industry, but my other fear is dropping $600 on a G2 and then suddenly, the following week, another company will come out with a brand new frontrunner that blows both the G2 and the Quest 2 away. Either way, hope that day actually does come soon!

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Well a few weeks in and as far as MSFS is concerned G2 blows Gquest 2 out of the water.

Great, but is it virtually making you a better pilot?

And sure enough, here's a piece outlining a few new VR headsets that are in the pipeline:

https://www.cnet.com/news/qualcomms-new-5g-vrar-headset-tech-looks-like-a-superpowered-oculus-quest/

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Most people don’t even have a 5G phone, so I don’t think we’ll be buying headsets with it for sometime soon. Of course most of our current headsets don’t even use 4G or 3G.

I can’t say I was too impressed with the article.. when the first line doesn’t even make sense (the first “that” shouldn’t be there) Don’t they have a spell/grammar checker?

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

And sure enough, here's a piece outlining a few new VR headsets that are in the pipeline:

https://www.cnet.com/news/qualcomms-new-5g-vrar-headset-tech-looks-like-a-superpowered-oculus-quest/

TrackIR is as real as I need for now. I'll wait...

Most people don’t even have a 5G phone, so I don’t think we’ll be buying headsets with it for sometime soon. Of course most of our current headsets don’t even use 4G or 3G.

I can’t say I was too impressed with the article.. when the first line doesn’t even make sense (the first “that” shouldn’t be there) Don’t they have a spell/grammar checker?

Regards

Steve

More than CNET, i’m interested in Qualcomm which evidently makes the damn chip that’s in ALL headsets. Feb. 2020 article:

“Qualcomm's reference design lays out specs and expectations for where other manufacturers could go by the end of this year or in 2021.”

That’s exciting! Covid happened around that article so maybe some delays.