Level-D 767 New VC Textures

HornetAircraft

That doesn't apply to all.

Zinertek obviously were fine with it.

iFLy dont mind some modifications if they are only released as freeware and also being aware a user can lose support after modifications.

Aeroworx also with their wonderful B200 King Air were happy to have users modify and share those modifications.

Don't point to that ludicrous email above as the standard from all developers. Payware or freeware.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't apply to all.

I accept that you can't understand legal English, and it's time that YOU did too.

Unless a developer HAS given permission in writing, ANYTHING ELSE is illegal, including no reply, for ANY reason.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Who says?

Everyone. It's an International Law. Ignorance is no defence etc. Furthermore, in light of recent events, inciting a fellow member of this website to commit illegal acts ought to be enough to get you banned from this website. Just sayin'.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Everyone. It's an International Law. Ignorance is no defence etc. Furthermore, in light of recent events, inciting a fellow member of this website to commit illegal acts ought to be enough to get you banned from this website. Just sayin'.

And illegal like modifying files in all sims (by the way how many contacted MS/LM etc to do that?), using a no CD patch (when did MS give the go ahead for that?), using P3D for entertainment purposes (what 99% do).

One thing to sell it for $$$. Yeah, illegal.

Another to use no longer supported products making modifications to offer to others for free. We've all been modifying products and sharing ideas how to do it since the first sim came out eons ago. You probably have as well and are using files modified by users to enhance it. Payware or freeware.

And I'm not inciting anyone to do anything.

Let's conclude that you have no understanding of this law whatsoever.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Law? What law? You need to be more specific. Nor did you comment or reply to those 3 areas I mentioned.

Here's hoping common sense will prevail, and those couple of dozen Level-D users around the world using it in FS2004 (17 years old) will get to enjoy an improved VC. Although the developers may not want it as thousands of users, if not hundreds of thousands are leaving MSFS (a game not a sim) and P3D (FSX version 2 with its million issues and plastic graphics) to go back to FS9. I'm sure sales of the Level-D 767 in FS2004 right now are hitting an all time high.

And they know they'll be losing big dollars. Somehow. Don't know how as you still need to buy it to use the upgraded textures. But somehow they lose out. Although....knowing better VC textures are available, maybe more people will purchase it knowing its VC textures can be improved? Whoa!

What a silly idea. Dumb.

Red wine is calling. My shout Tim. ;)

This is so silly.

Situation A:

Orbx textures are being used by many FS9 users. They are illegal. They are recommended on this forum and on other forums openly. There are links posted to them on this forum and other forums. The textures cover the entire surface of the FS9 planet.

Situation B:

This thread is about a few textures in a cockpit.

I struggle to determine the logic. If situation A is ok why is situation B not??? lol

Mark Daniels

"Situation A" is not OK. The end.

Better inform the flight sim sites! lol

Another instance is sharing a complete product! At least 2 payware products that I know of have active links in these forums!

Here we are talking about a few textures. We are not offering up the complete Level-D aircraft. Those other links are doing exactly this and were never removed.

Police are fun but you can't select to enforce a law one day and not the next.

Mark Daniels

The pedants on this thread need to stop confusing "against the law" with actionable.

Whose being pedantic now? And have YOU never heard of Copyright Law, specifically sections 107–122 of the United States Copyright Act?

Everyone trolling on this thread needs to read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-user_license_agreement

Having read it, you'll agree with me that it's a legal minefield and that's why my advice to hornetaircraft is to steer clear of the whole issue.

Edited by tiger1962

What's the difference between completely reproducing an aircraft livery without the airline's permission to do so and editing cockpit textures as the OP wants to do?

The copyrights on airline liveries are being debated now on the flightsimulator.com forum, Microsoft/Xbox Studios/Asobo have obtained permission from United Airlines and I think Delta Airlines plus one other to use their liveries as default AI textures in MSFS. Everyone else (including the payware AI program developers) does it without consent and at their own risk - no-one's been taken to court yet probably because it's free advertising - but the longer this pandemic lasts, the more litigious the airlines could become...

The cockpit textures are a more clear-cut case. They're not included in paint kits because you're not allowed to edit them or re-use them in any way.

Edited by tiger1962

The cockpit textures are a more clear-cut case. They're not included in paint kits because you're not allowed to edit them or re-use them in any way.

They are both clear cut, both totally infringe copyright, it's completely clear cut in both instances. Reproducing an aircraft model itself without the aircraft manufacturers permission is also illegal. You can't do it!

Thankfully most game communities use a little common sense when it comes to these things, factoring the age of the game and the damage the resulting infringement may cause.

Mark Daniels

Thankfully most game communities use a little common sense when it comes to these things, factoring the age of the game and the damage the resulting infringement may cause.

Unfortunately common sense isn't considered in Copyright Law - express permission from the Copyright owner is the only consideration.

Unfortunately common sense isn't considered in Copyright Law - express permission from the Copyright owner is the only consideration.

Ok, then all aircraft and liveries need to be removed from this site. We all need to uninstall our freeware and payware add-on aircraft. It's almost certain the only aircraft we are legally using are those that came with default FS9/FSX/MSFS. Everything else must go! lol

Mark Daniels

no-one's been taken to court yet probably because it's free advertising

So you dont use AI then being so righteous and 'law' abiding?

But, no one have been 'taken to court', because that would be just.....dumb.

Well, there goes the file libraries of every flightsim site out there with all the edits and changes made to every part of the sim - textures, landlcass, mesh, trees, clouds, sky, buildings, sun, moon, stars etc etc etc etc. And a host of add-ons out there.

Of course, you're using default like the rest of us?

And I guess NO ONE out there has edited they're panel in payware add-ons to add or remove textures or use a different gauge etc? Maybe I'm the only one in the world whos done that?

Because I have AND shared it on the forum of the add-on, didnt get permission because I never asked, as no one asked, as it was enhancing the no longer officially supported add-on. Nobody told be that it was/is HUGELY illegal.

Also have contacted a payware developer over his product as it had already been merged with another paywarre product, enhanced, improved. I didnt ask for permission, only said this is what we are doing, to share and we've hit an issue. Can you assist as to why this issue is happening? Answer, strange that gauge should do that, it shouldn't, good luck with it.

Point being Tim...again...don't lump PMDG's ludicrous email ($75,000 fine for 15+ year old products no longer supported and only shared with a few dozen would make any lawyer laugh his head off) and apply it to every developer. As I've said, not everyone...regardless of the EULA they have....deals that way.

Some dont care as long as its shared and its not sold.

Still awaiting the reply to the 3 things as to why that's acceptable?

Ok, then all aircraft and liveries need to be removed from this site. We all need to uninstall our freeware and payware add-on aircraft. It's almost certain the only aircraft we are legally using are those that came with default FS9/FSX/MSFS. Everything else must go! lol

Exactly and LOL indeed.

Time to move on from this and get back to flying my freeware 727 with retro United liveries. Can't be seen in a current Boeing or livery as I might get sued!

Don't call me SUE!! :D

There's a big difference between:

Creating a livery from scratch using a paintkit and some photos of an airliner for reference

...and:

Copying and pasting bits and pieces from developer A's custom made VC textures onto developer B's texture sheets and releasing the result as an enhancement for developer A's competitive product.

The distinction between the two really isn't rocket science. Your analogy is flawed, full stop.

Still awaiting the reply to the 3 things as to why that's acceptable?

YOUR opinion on Copyright Law is NEVER going to change Copyright Law, whether YOU like it or not.

YOU seem to think that hornetaircraft SHOULD risk being taken to court for $75,000, and I think you're irresponsible and wrong.

There's a big difference between:

releasing the result as an enhancement for developer A's competitive product.

Nothing 'competitive' about decade old products. Unless MSFS/P3duD and FsuX continue to be junk and everybody continues returning to FS9. Which seems to be happening.

Anyway, evidently the reply was to the fact we are in breach of copyright using airline liveries on our AI planes.

Nothing 'competitive' about decade old products.

Under Copyright Law, the copyright is 'in perpetuity' which means FOREVER.

YOUR opinion on Copyright Law is NEVER going to change Copyright Law, whether YOU like it or not.

YOU seem to think that hornetaircraft SHOULD risk being taken to court for $75,000, and I think you're irresponsible and wrong.

I never said he should do anything. Not sure where you're getting that from. I just know he wouldn't.

And you're idea of 'copyright law' is different than some developers who even attach copyright law to their products.

So can I use the no cd patch or not?

Can I edit textures in FS2004/FSX/P3D or not? If I do, can I share it or not?

Can I edit and replace a gauge in a payware add on or not? Can I share it or not if I do?