Level-D 767 New VC Textures

HornetAircraft

Under Copyright Law, the copyright is 'in perpetuity' which means FOREVER.

And doesn't mean developers enforce it. You're not listening.

I've edited, changed and shared what I've done with payware - still sold - in public and privately. Ive broken copyright law....to you. But not to the developers, who allowed it....but never ever gave permission. Why?

Old, no longer supported products and they dont' care if it was enhanced by users.

So dont apply those 'laws' in every case to everyone.

Can I use P3D for entertainment purposes? You already know the answer to that one. ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said he should do anything. Not sure where you're getting that from. I just know he wouldn't.

And you're idea of 'copyright law' is different than some developers who even attach copyright law to their products.

So can I use the no cd patch or not?

Can I edit textures in FS2004/FSX/P3D or not? If I do, can I share it or not?

Can I edit and replace a gauge in a payware add on or not? Can I share it or not if I do?

"I never said he should do anything" - Too late to backtrack now mate.

"And you're idea of 'copyright law' is different than some developers who even attach copyright law to their products." - All software is released with an EULA containing copyright law, even freeware.

"So can I use the no cd patch or not?" - Under the terms of MS's EULA, No.

"Can I edit textures in FS2004/FSX/P3D or not? If I do, can I share it or not?" - You can't share them without the creator's/developer's permission.

"Can I edit and replace a gauge in a payware add on or not? Can I share it or not if I do?" - No you can't share it without permission from the developer.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

And doesn't mean developers enforce it. You're not listening.

So you DO think hornetaircraft should risk being taken to court for $75,000.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

There's a big difference between:

Creating a livery from scratch using a paintkit and some photos of an airliner for reference

...and:

Copying and pasting bits and pieces from developer A's custom made VC textures onto developer B's texture sheets and releasing the result as an enhancement for developer A's competitive product.

The distinction between the two really isn't rocket science. Your analogy is flawed, full stop.

There is ZERO difference! Both TOTALLY illegal! lol

You can't create a clear depiction of a company that is not your own and replicate it's copyrighted logo because you have a paintkit to do so!

Either be serious and stand behind your ethics or let the OP switch a VC from light brown to dark brown OMG.

Mark Daniels

Either be serious and stand behind your ethics or let the OP switch a VC from light brown to dark brown OMG.

That decision isn't Jim's, hornetaircraft's, yours or mine. As Jim and I have been saying, it's up to the developer. If the developer doesn't reply, I for one wouldn't advise hornetaircraft to risk sharing his textures after his PMDG experience.

Edited by tiger1962

The copyrights on airline liveries

There are no copyrights on airline liveries. There are trademarks, which while they are IP are covered differently. You may consider that pedantic, but it's important.

The cockpit textures are a more clear-cut case. They're not included in paint kits because you're not allowed to edit them or re-use them in any way.

The law provides certain exemptions to this, and more importantly it is up to the copyright owners to assert their rights.

Luke

Thank you for the clarification Luke, this is progress. We now have Copyright Owners, who have Rights.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

UPDATE TIME: I've come to an agreement with Captainsim who will allow me to release the textures with the following conditions.

1. They will be released exclusively on the Captainsim repaint library

2. You will need to own the Captainsim 757 Basepack (10.00 on simmarket) to get the Level-D 767 VC textures. Im lucky they are allowing me to share them. They're a stubborn bunch. Shpuldve asked them when they were going to fix the STARs page in the FMC so I dont have to manually type it all in 🤪😂. But anyway that is the answer. Yes they will be released. But you will need the CS 757 baseball to get them. Unless you can get into the Captainsim Library without the purchase. We'll see.

Thank you for the clarification Luke, this is progress. We now have Copyright Owners, who have Rights.

We've always had IP owners, and they've always had rights. Those rights are nowhere nearly as absolute as you claim them to be, and it's up to the owners to decide whether to enforce them or not.

Luke

UPDATE TIME: I've come to an agreement with Captainsim who will allow me to release the textures with the following conditions.

1. They will be released exclusively on the Captainsim repaint library

2. You will need to own the Captainsim 757 Basepack (10.00 on simmarket) to get the Level-D 767 VC textures. Im lucky they are allowing me to share them. They're a stubborn bunch. Shpuldve asked them when they were going to fix the STARs page in the FMC so I dont have to manually type it all in. But anyway that is the answer. Yes they will be released. But you will need the CS 757 baseball to get them. Unless you can get into the Captainsim Library without the purchase. We'll see.

That's great news, congratulations on creating an official texture update!

Those rights are nowhere nearly as absolute as you claim them to be, and it's up to the owners to decide whether to enforce them or not.

See HornetAircraft's post above. My point was that those rights would be enforced more often than not, if the copyright owner was aware of any potential infringement. Better safe than sorry and ask for permission before sharing those VC textures.

Edited by tiger1962

UPDATE: went to upload the textures to the captainsim file library and you have to be logged in to upload a file. After logged into my account it said I didn't have permission to access the files saying that I dont have an order number. I open my account page and there are 2 order numbers. One for the CS757 base pack and one for the -300 expansion. I contact the guy ive been talking to and he told me to contact Captain Sim and Captain Sim 2. The latter hasn't been active for 2 years and the former won't respond to any pms or posts I make. Captainsim forums are quite literally useless... still trying.

Or, you could make your own....and quit stealing others works. I do not mean to sound harsh. But it is they're work regardless of how you think it may look. There are literally thousands of images on the web for you to draw reference from. Use those. Or, do what the original authors did, and articulate your way into the actual aircraft whereas you can attempt to duplicate in a better fashion then they did.

Food for thought.............

Edited by grau

Trust me, I have tried to use internet photos. it is almost impossible without photoshop to even come close, and even still it would look bad due to discoloration. secondly, there is no way I would be able to even get close to a 767 in the US. the only friends I know that flew them worked for American and the 757/767 fleet there has been retired. I've already gotten all the necessary permissions to upload. just need to get the page working.

Trust me, I have tried to use internet photos. it is almost impossible without photoshop to even come close, and even still it would look bad due to discoloration. secondly, there is no way I would be able to even get close to a 767 in the US. the only friends I know that flew them worked for American and the 757/767 fleet there has been retired. I've already gotten all the necessary permissions to upload. just need to get the page working.

Just ask. I could get you hours of access. That's how I built my 757simulator.com. I'd be more than willing to facilitate your endeavors.