After downloading, how many GB are actually installed to run MSFS?

I received MSFS Standard download as a gift. I have not installed it, yet.

I knew to install FSX in c:FSX.

1. Am wondering about whether there are similar suggestions for MSFS2020?

2. Also, once downloaded, how many GB are actually installed? Can you split the installation over two drives?

3. Is it possible to upgrade to Deluxe when I redeem the gift certificate?

Many thanks, okbob

I used to install FSX on a different drive to my Windows installation drive (usually D:\FSX) and i always thought this was the best way.

I don’t have FSX installed nowadays, but I have MSFS installed in the same way. Both my drives are now M2 SSD’s too.

When you first install MSFS, it will install a small bit on your C drive, but then will ask where you want the main part installing... the second drive in my case.

Upgrading to Deluxe or Premium Deluxe doesn’t cost the same as it would if you bought it separately, but it nearly does. If you did decide to upgrade, then go for the premium because you’ll end up paying the same again if you ever decide to get the premium at a later date.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

IF it's even possible, and BEFORE you begin any downloads from the MS Store, see if you can get a 'credit' from them for your Standard gift applied as partial payment for one of the other packages.

It is not economically sound to later upgrade and no, I don't know why they have priced the Upgrades so ridiculously high. I'd have thought they would give a little appreciation to those who already bought the sim and now want more aircraft and airports. But I guess not?

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Just a quick follow-up. I've talked to folks at the Microsoft Store (not sure just where that is), and the short version is that I can't upgrade the gift certificate. Rats.

And I've cleared a new SSD drive to hold the bulk, after the kernel is installed on c:

Xrossing my fingers and getting started next.

2d update. It took 3.5 hours to install. A small portion went onto the c: drive, and then it let me point it to my SSD to install the 128.15GB. This installed just like described in this forum, so thank you all for the tips.

OMG, the scenery is amazing. I managed to fly the C152 from PWA to OKC, and the scenery pretty much matched what I see from a real airplane. Wow.

So now I've got to get my controls set, joystick calibrated, etc.

Cool beans y'all; and remember, 2020 is nearly hindsight. OkBob

That’s great. Glad it went well.

Happy flying :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles