Hi,

I have an old pc with Windows 7 Home Premium, Nvidia GTForce GT 630, Intel Core i3-3240 3.40 GHz, Memory 8 Gb.

For me this computer is ok (I too are an old man) and often do some flight with FSX.

Yesterday, as a Christmas present, my son gave to me Flight Simulator 2020.

The characteristics of my computer are below the minumum requested for using FS2020.

My problem is as follows:

Can I install FS 2020 and use it with lower characteristics or is impossible to install?

Waiting a reponse, many thanks and ,please, excuse my poor English

giorda35

It won't install with the Win-7 and if you had win-10 it wouldn't run with that graphics card.

There are a lot of used lower end gaming machines for sale on Craigslist that would get you going if you wanted to go that route.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Hi,

I have an old pc with Windows 7 Home Premium, Nvidia GTForce GT 630, Intel Core i3-3240 3.40 GHz, Memory 8 Gb.

For me this computer is ok (I too are an old man) and often do some flight with FSX.

The characteristics of my computer are below the minumum requested for using FS2020.

Can I install FS 2020 and use it with lower characteristics or is impossible to install?

giorda35

Win 10 is the MINIMUM requirement for FS2020 so no, won't work.

Hi,

giorda35

I'm old as well and my pc is 10years old! As someone else has pointed out, you will need Win 10. My Nvidia is older than yours (GTX 580) but my motherboard is an i7. I only manage to fly with any decent performance with most graphic settings at minimum and very few at medium, only with the smallest Cessna 152 (even the172 hardly manages because of the electronic display) mostly small sparse airfields and so on. And yet it's awesome! Now I'm waiting for finances to get better (covid!) and super pc awaits.

My thoughts on this, I'm now classed an older man too and retired 2 years but only 63... my pc build was only 3 years old but still not good enough for flightsim 2020.... So it made me think, being older and retired I will probably be spending more time on the computer, So is it worth spending money to bring the PC speck up to date, and hopefully see me through retirement all the way to the grave ha, I answered yes it worth it........... If you love flying and want to jump back into the sim community then I'd say it worth the upgrade cost...... A cheaper route would be Xbox but that don't interest me at all, now being an old timer....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I, too, am of a more advanced seniority and fully retired. I used to hold a PPL and loved flying but changed circumstances meant I couldn't afford it any more. I discovered MSFS2020 when I came across a demo copy of FSX and it rekindled my love of flying. Of course my computer, although just about capable of running the sim, was really not up to doing the game justice so I invested in a higher spec gaming machine which I further upgraded with more memory and faster storage. It's not top of the range but for a reasonable outlay it is more than adequate.

If I had to justify it (which fortunately I don't) as I'm in an "at-risk" category re Covid-19 it now gives me something to occupy my time whilst "locked-down" at home. It has also made me determined to, firstly, hone my flying skills then to increase them so that I can comfortably step into the faster jets etc. and go explore the world as realistically as possible, all of which this superb MS product is allowing me to do.

Obviously personal circumstances play a big part but if you have any interest in flying at all then make every effort to beg, borrow, steal or even buy as good kit as you can. There are various threads on this and other forums that can give good advice. Just remember, though, that apart from a decent computer and monitor you'll also need a couple of extras such as joystick/control yoke, maybe pedals or even VR (but I'm holding fire on that for now!) I find an Xbox360 controller quite a useful addon too for controlling the drone when I'm sight-seeing.

Age is all in the mind - I say just go for it!

Thanks to all the people . I am a very old man (last 4 december , due to the covid only with mi wife, I celebrated my 85 years) So, to use FS2020 I have to change the computer) The problem for me is:

To change the computer is necessary to set the new one and I am not sure the old programs I am using, as Microsoft Word or Nero shall be prompt for the new pc, and

is correct at my age to buy a pc I shall use for a brief time?

Many thanks and please, excuse my English

giorda35

is correct at my age to buy a pc I shall use for a brief time?

In part, this depends on your finances, but even at 85 you might have quite a few years remaining, so age shouldn't be much of a factor. It might be possible to keep the old one around for programs that won't work on Windows 10, but there are later versions of MS Word, and OpenOffice/LibreOffice are available, mostly compatible with Word, and are free for the download. Depending on your use of Nero, VLC (VideoLan) may be a good substitute, and it, too, is free for the download. And both of those will also work on your current Windows (7, 8, XP).

So while only you can properly evaluate whether to upgrade, age itself shouldn't be much of a factor, while health, finances and other needs should be able to help you decide.

What's your age gotta do with the age of your PC?

If you're old, treat yourself with a young one!

Not everyone is in a position to "treat yourself with a young one" though I'll agree that age, in and of itself, shouldn'g be much of a factor. But many other factors (as I show above), including the priorities of the individual, can dictate whether to go ahead, and age sometimes plays a part in evaluating those other factors. You must be young...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hi Inuss.

Many thanks for your words.

In this moment my age seems to be not a problem, the strange thing is my interest in airplanes at 85!

Well, I think I will buy a new computer, so the present of my son will find an utilisation and, more important for me, I will see a part of the worls I do not know!

giorda34

the strange thing is my interest in airplanes at 85!

There's nothing strange about that -- many folks love aviation all their lives, and not all of them get the chance to fly in real aircraft, so the sim is a good second choice. Even many folks who fly for real lose their medical or for other reasons can no longer fly, and a lot of them use a sim as a substitute.

Good luck.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!