General guidance/ help

bumble34

Hi, Avid user of FSX-Se over the years, reluctantly decided to forego FS2020 for the foreseeable future. Just noticed Steam have X Plane @ £31 given that I really like the Missions aspect of FSX would you recommend x Plane to see me through for a bit `til I have more confidence in FS2020. thanks in advance

If you are only thinking of going to Xplane short-term, then I would just keep flying FSX until you are confident FS2020 is worth a try.

If you like what you see in FS2020, then Xplane will be a big disappointment. Xplane default scenery and weather looks like something from the 1980's compared to FS2020. Xplane has no default missions, there may be some you can download, I am not aware of them as I don't fly missions.

What Xplane does have is good flight dynamics, some great study-level planes to fly, and less bugs as the latest version has been out for 3 years and is mature.

The trick here is if you have been smitten by the look of MS2020, then Xplane will be a big disappointment visually unless you plan on creating and downloading many terabytes of Orbx scenery.

Just so you know, Xplane is my current flightsim, has been for 3 years, I am not an MSFS fanboy, I am not an Xplane fanboy, and similar to you am keeping my options open for MS2020/Xplane 12 in the future.

IanQ

• 1 month later...

I do not have XPlane. (used fsx for years though.)

I think this may give a good impression.

Vid. Default XPlane.

Already looks very good out of the box like that.

His computer is not the highest spec (listed below vid.) This is Xplane 11.

(Make sure your pc matches requirements for xplane version you are interested in.)

Video is on the youtube. Video starts in English but then switches to Portuguese. Still plenty for impression of default scenery.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DZvEKIvf1oTU&ved=2ahUKEwi1mNeHz4bvAhVLwKQKHTW1C5UQo7QBMAV6BAgJEAE&usg=AOvVaw0Aq_cs-06b9HQNa7wZXjmN

Default airport scenery complexity seems about the same as Fsx I think. Though looks like better quality textures.

Very impressed with scenery between airports.

detailed "mesh" resolution.

detailed crisp "textures".

and mote detailed "landclass" then fsx it looks like. Less of a repeating pattern feel.

I'm especially very impressed with the roads and rivers.

Airports are usually easy to improve in sims. Airport addons are I think available. (freeware too).

All in all I think it looks very good.

---------

ps: words "mesh", "textures", "landclass" in quotes because I'm not sure if Xplane uses that system/structure.

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi, Avid user of FSX-Se over the years, reluctantly decided to forego FS2020 for the foreseeable future. Just noticed Steam have X Plane @ £31 given that I really like the Missions aspect of FSX would you recommend x Plane to see me through for a bit `til I have more confidence in FS2020. thanks in advance

Hi.

The default scenery in XP is not very good, as it pertains to streets buildings... but the Mesh (Altitudes..) is very good and the distant terrain looks right, but that has an easy fix, free app Ortho4XP will give you a much better scenery than you can get in the Assobo20, which does not deserve to have anything flight associated with it, is at best is scenery viewer, inaccurate at that also after they add all the trees, weeds...

The cost is storage, which is not very expensive now and some time invested.

All the Pilots, CFIs.. that I know have either stopped using it and or asked for the money to be returned, I do not think they have the knowledge / people to ever turn that around.

No missions with default but there are free addon missions you can download. If you are serious about flying, and want to practice as close as possible to Real World, XPlane with Ortho, or you can buy some, and or FSX with addon scenery, or create your own with EarthTile? are your best bets.

You also know you have a reliable sim, not depend on the Internet, and some external power that may or may not work.

Post here if you have any questions.

I recently started using X Plane 11 after buying a new PC. I am also waiting a bit on MSFS, for it to improve and I also need to add a SSD to put it on, my PC only has 1 drive and I want MSFS to have its own dedicated drive.

I have been primarily an FS9 guy, but occasionally use FSX:SE.

As far as I know, there arent any missions in XP11, but I have to say it was well worth the purchase and I can see myself still using it even when I get MSFS.

Visually, XP11 is far better than FSX, and with a couple of free downloads you can really ramp up the visuals. The default aircraft are very nice and free community upgrades for them have helped a lot. Also, I think there is no comparison between default FSX and XP11, either in scenery or planes. Free scenery for airports take it up a notch, look for stuff by MisterX, and others.

I have FS9, FSX:SE, and XP11 installed, and use them all. If you have the room and can afford XP11, theres no reason to not enjoy the options available.

• 2 weeks later...