Adobe?

Lt51506

Adobe is the name of a company, not a product. The one Adobe product that I hear is going away is Flash (good riddance), and it has nothing to do with FSX or FS9. If it's not Flash, then you'll need to specify which Adobe program, but I'm not aware of ANYthing from Adobe that is needed for FS, though the Adobe Reader (for PDF files) is handy to have, FS or not.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

So it's called Flash which what is mentioned. To get nerdy, Flash was owned by Macromedia and then Adobe bought them years ago. Flash is in large part a plug-in for a browser to enable you to render Flashed-based media on the Internet like videos or small online games. It has been plagued by one security vulnerability after another. I remember during about circa 2014 Adobe had to release a patch on an almost bi-weekly basis to patch yet another vulnerability. If you want to get down to it, there are more than 1,400 CVEs (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures) alone and in this year there still are vulnerabilities https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=flash This is compared to the over 500 for Office and some 39 for Libre Office. CVEs are found every day though for damn near everything you can think of. This is what hackers look up to take advantage of. It could be software or router firmware. Could be anything.

Today, HTML5 has replaced Flash. Some websites may still use Flash though. When you go to YouTube for example, it is HTML5 that renders the video and this is done withen the browser's core code and not a plug-in. You can see this if you go to YouTube and play a video and then pull up Task Manager. Go to Processes and you'll see the CPU activity for your browser's executable (.exe)

My own website uses some HTML5 rendering. In my post's signature you'll see an audio clip that can be played from the Rick & Morty adult orientated cartoon. That audio is rendered via HTML5.

If you still find yourself needing Flash for websites that are HTML5 hold outs, then I would go into your browser settings and set the plug-in to ask you to activate rather than letting it stay on all the time. If you do not need Flash at all, then just uninstall it. Use this tool here: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html#main_Download_the_Adobe_Flash_Player_uninstaller

Now Shockwave is something else though. And I've seen here in the library something called "Shockwave lights", but I never used them because I knew it could tax the CPU. If someone uses Shockwave lights then of course you'll still need Shockwave installed. But I don't recommend it. And it appears Shockwave is EOL (End Of Life) as well. https://helpx.adobe.com/shockwave/shockwave-end-of-life-faq.html

Good to see you again! Check your PMs.

I remember that having Adobe AIR installed on my computer cause my .air files to look a little strange. No effect on how the Sim ran.

That's due to the file extension .air being taken over by Adobe AIR. It just took your .air files in the Sim and changed the icon as if to say Adobe Air can open them. It wouldn't have any effect on the Sim at all since the Sim sees the .air files as they are and haven't been altered by Adobe AIR unless you do so with Adobe AIR or AirEd.

It has been plagued by one security vulnerability after another. I remember during about circa 2014 Adobe had to release a patch on an almost bi-weekly basis to patch yet another vulnerability.

At the time Adobe had no idea what the word "security" meant and allowed themselves to be hacked, resulting in personal account information and passwords of over 38 million accounts to be sold on the net in 2013. Just search for "Adobe hack" if you want to know more.

Very pleased to see Flash departing. Serious web developers have long since abandoned it, what is happening now is a questionable exercise of a persuasive automated process of de-installing it from end-users computers and breaking many un-loved, un-updated web sites.

I would strongly advise against retention and re-installation just to be able to use outdated web sites. Move on and live without them!

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

At the time Adobe had no idea what the word "security" meant and allowed themselves to be hacked, resulting in personal account information and passwords of over 38 million accounts to be sold on the net in 2013. Just search for "Adobe hack" if you want to know more.

Very pleased to see Flash departing. Serious web developers have long since abandoned it, what is happening now is a questionable exercise of a persuasive automated process of de-installing it from end-users computers and breaking many un-loved, un-updated web sites.

I would strongly advise against retention and re-installation just to be able to use outdated web sites. Move on and live without them!

John

`Adobe` and `Flash` have nothing to do with sim-dom, as outmoded and obsolescent software, even more than any of the modern sims!

Yes, even FSX!

Adobe Photoshop has always been and still is widely used by livery painters. Many payware aircraft paint kits are supplied in Photoshop Document (.PSD) layered format. Photoshop was originally created to make some of the special effects for the first Star Wars movie by the way. Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64