Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boom!

Default boom!

fsx ooms while sitting on the runway......how to find the cause?

fsx ooms
    Perhaps you can clarify what that means -- it's not obvious to me.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    Perhaps you can clarify what that means -- it's not obvious to me.
    OOM = Out of Memory error. yancovitchvictor, has it been like that ever since you installed FSX or did you change settings, add scenery, or third-party aircraft recently?

thank you.....this has been going on for maybe six months, not since the initial install....had been adding planes here and there...i do have many, which is the charm of fsx and why it will never die ...the only scenery i have active is orbx pnw, vanouver + a few small orbx airports and dream team cyvr airport......and i don't check show all planes.....something's gobbling up memory.....task manager shows 30-35% mem......but i don't know if that's a true indication......

other times it crashes a short time into the sim and i don't have any of those havana cigar airliners....i'm into smaller stuff....i done something wrong somewhere...i even verified the integrity of fsx steam....

I do have a havana cigar airliner (Cubana de Aviación?) and had OOM's. It is the QW 787, and the problem was some painters make liveries in 32bit or they call them 4K. As soon as I identified them, was a simple matter to reduce the texture sizes down and the OOM's went away.

Maybe your having OOM's with only certain liveries?
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

OOM = Out of Memory error.
    Thanks, I knew about that one, but with a title of boom I thought there was a typo leaving off the 'b', perhaps, and "my FSX "Out of Memory error"'s made no sense. And since it happens "sitting on the runway" and I'm aware of bounces when sitting on the runway as one problem, the usage was confusing to one who is not schooled in online shorthand (I know bits and pieces), almost like a new language.

Glad someone understood it.

To the OP: Does this happen when you first start the sim, or is it after you've been running it for a while? Does it happen with all aircraft or is it perhaps only with certain aircraft, perhaps some that are more demanding on system resources? Does it happen shortly after you've rebooted the computer or does it take a while? And what processes/applications do you have running in the background (check task manager)?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

checked task manager....nothing showing in background....ooms after five to ten minutes of flying any aircraft......hmmm....

You need to understand what an OOM here is. For that we need a bit of background.

FSX is a 32-bit application, which means that no matter how much RAM is on your system, it runs in its own "VAS" - Virtual Address Space - which can be a maximum size of 4 GB. This is a "Hard Limit" - there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. When you load a lot into FSX, be it because of high settings or a lot of photoscenery or other add-ons, you will eventually hit that 4 GB limit and you have an OOM.

What can you do? Lower your settings and/or get add-ons out of the picture. Simple as that.

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by yancovitchvictor View Post
    checked task manager....nothing showing in background....ooms after five to ten minutes of flying any aircraft......hmmm....
    It could also be a corrupted or broken add-on. Try completely uninstalling them one by one to see if the OOM errors go away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast