boom!

thank you.....this has been going on for maybe six months, not since the initial install....had been adding planes here and there...i do have many, which is the charm of fsx and why it will never die ...the only scenery i have active is orbx pnw, vanouver + a few small orbx airports and dream team cyvr airport......and i don't check show all planes.....something's gobbling up memory.....task manager shows 30-35% mem......but i don't know if that's a true indication......

I do have a havana cigar airliner (Cubana de Aviación?) and had OOM's. It is the QW 787, and the problem was some painters make liveries in 32bit or they call them 4K. As soon as I identified them, was a simple matter to reduce the texture sizes down and the OOM's went away.

Maybe your having OOM's with only certain liveries?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

OOM = Out of Memory error.

Thanks, I knew about that one, but with a title of boom I thought there was a typo leaving off the 'b', perhaps, and "my FSX "Out of Memory error"'s made no sense. And since it happens "sitting on the runway" and I'm aware of bounces when sitting on the runway as one problem, the usage was confusing to one who is not schooled in online shorthand (I know bits and pieces), almost like a new language.

Glad someone understood it.

To the OP: Does this happen when you first start the sim, or is it after you've been running it for a while? Does it happen with all aircraft or is it perhaps only with certain aircraft, perhaps some that are more demanding on system resources? Does it happen shortly after you've rebooted the computer or does it take a while? And what processes/applications do you have running in the background (check task manager)?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

You need to understand what an OOM here is. For that we need a bit of background.

FSX is a 32-bit application, which means that no matter how much RAM is on your system, it runs in its own "VAS" - Virtual Address Space - which can be a maximum size of 4 GB. This is a "Hard Limit" - there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. When you load a lot into FSX, be it because of high settings or a lot of photoscenery or other add-ons, you will eventually hit that 4 GB limit and you have an OOM.

What can you do? Lower your settings and/or get add-ons out of the picture. Simple as that.

Jorgen

checked task manager....nothing showing in background....ooms after five to ten minutes of flying any aircraft......hmmm....

It could also be a corrupted or broken add-on. Try completely uninstalling them one by one to see if the OOM errors go away.

• 3 weeks later...
hmmmm...reinstalled everything, and same problem.....is there a way to monitor vas memory while flying?....on task manager i noticed, i'm using around 2,600 mb's while flying, but i don't know if that's related to vas??

FSUIPC has a built in VAS monitor that gives out chimes when VAS is getting low and also has a log file.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

hmmmm...reinstalled everything, and same problem.....is there a way to monitor vas memory while flying?....on task manager i noticed, i'm using around 2,600 mb's while flying, but i don't know if that's related to vas??

Do not `reinstall everything`

Instead, reinstall one file at a time until you find the culprit. When you do, don't reinstall that one.

Come back and tell us as we may have experience in dealng with that one!

Using a 32-bit application like FSX you WILL run out of Virtual Address Space. Guaranteed: RAM is unimportant.

I used Advanced System Care to monitor/reduce VAS, but that was/is Payware.

ha...i get the chimes, then it shuts down............how to access log file with fsuipc?....me dumb.....

i can't fly every plane one at a time to find out....it would take me weeks ;)....actually i just changed planes on the runway, and it crashed even with the hang glider on the runway............sometime it crashed flying a simple ww1 prop..............which is why i didn't thing it was the planes......please correct me if i'm mistaken.............so i unclicked dream team vancouver airport and vancouver + v3 in the cfg editor, and just used the orbx one, and well see what happens...

most of the planes i was able to save, after my reinstall, but i lost my wilga....couldn't find my serial number....may have to repurchase.....yuk................. big deal eh? :D thanks.........

ha...i get the chimes, then it shuts down............how to access log file with fsuipc?....me dumb.....

i can't fly every plane one at a time to find out....it would take me weeks ;)....actually i just changed planes on the runway, and it crashed even with the hang glider on the runway............sometime it crashed flying a simple ww1 prop..............which is why i didn't thing it was the planes......please correct me if i'm mistaken.............so i unclicked dream team vancouver airport and vancouver + v3 in the cfg editor, and just used the orbx one, and well see what happens...

most of the planes i was able to save, after my reinstall, but i lost my wilga....couldn't find my serial number....may have to repurchase.....yuk................. big deal eh? :D thanks.........

Some hefty addons listed there. Do you fly out of Vancouver on every flight? Then don't install Vancouver. Or anything that `demands` you modify the FSX .cfg. That is not neceesary with a lesser computer. Jorgen has already told you what you need to do.

Or buy a faster computer - but you still face the VAS problem with any 32-bit application. One thing I will add: You can hardly tell any difference between 2048 and 4096 textures, so turn that down first.

ok,,,,, if my unclicking van, plus the dt airport doesn't work...i'll try the 2048 ..... gotta keep my rex though...that's on dinosaur i must keep in my zoo............

Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G 6GB

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 ..............thanks..........

Edited by yancovitchvictor

• 2 weeks later...
ok....i need to understand something.....i accessed fsuipc...vas usage which shows on upper left corner of the fsx screen.....while flying, ...i tried installing different aircraft one after the other.......and each time, the very large number, which i assumed was the remaining memory, went down.....and went down considerably ......am i to assume this is normal?....and will it go down till it ooms? and how is this a drain on the memory just by changing aircraft?....thanks

ok....i need to understand something.....i accessed fsuipc...vas usage which shows on upper left corner of the fsx screen.....while flying, ...i tried installing different aircraft one after the other.......and each time, the very large number, which i assumed was the remaining memory, went down.....and went down considerably ......am i to assume this is normal?....and will it go down till it ooms? and how is this a drain on the memory just by changing aircraft?....thanks

Yes, accessing aircraft reduces VAS. They are added to VAS memory, assuming you may need to access them later.

...i tried installing different aircraft one after the other.......and each time, the very large number, which i assumed was the remaining memory, went down...

I think you meant LOADING, not installing. Yes, I've noticed same. Sometimes the aircraft won't fully load when VAS gets low and will start having missing textures.

thanks for that confirmation and the correct terminology i never knew it.......is there a number in vas that will predict an oom?...or will it vary?

In your restrictive system, ONLY load the first aircraft selected.

Never meander through the selection menu - obviously you can alter the selection menu to find the aircraft you want for that session.

And did you reduce the menu option from 4096x to 2048?