AP with Nav doesn't work properly.

Let me explain the situation:

I've put up a flight plan for my Cessna C172 Skyhaw and than I take off.

I have choosen High Altitude under the aircraft selection. I can manoeuvre my Cessna.

When I'm at the given altitude, I turn on AP first with hdg for the first part of my plotted flight route, so fly on the compass. So far everything is going well.

The foregoing part is intended as a test for the control capacity of the control. So normally I would immediately opt for AP Nav

Now I switch over to AP Nav. My Cessna starts turning directly north while my flight plan route is south.

If I let it take its course, it'll go exactly to 360 degrees. The first part of my route, until the next waypont, is active (red).

While testing, I'm going back to AP hdg, where my Cessna is nicely following the plotted compass route,

until I'm past the first waypoint. After that, the first part of the route remains red and also remains red (active) after each waypoint passage.

I don't see any changes in nav radio frequency after passing a waypoint. This might make sense since I am flying AP hdg.

But when flying with AP nav, I can't test that because I just don't pass a waypoint. Also, my NavLog table is dead. I mean there is no change whatsoever.

When I click the FPL soft button in the Garmin G1000 display, I also see the flight plan so it must be loaded.. right?

Again, I don’t see any change towards the next waypoint. Changing planes, flying plans doesn't help either. I've been looking for a solution for this problem since I bought this FS2020 months ago.

Do I do something wrong or forget something.

Who can help me?

Appperature: DELL Computer

Name: Desktop-I7QPR8E

Processor: Intel® Core ™i7 10700F CPU@ 2.90GHz

RAM: 16GB

System type: 64-bit operating system, 64 bit-procssor

Control hardware:

Combination Saitek ProFight Yoke system and Throttle

Chosen app: MSFS 2020

It sounds like you are using the Nav radios and the GPS together. If you have a flight plan showing red on the GPS, stay with GPS. If you switch to a Nav setting and are still in GPS it will search for a Nav heading that you are not tracking. I hope this makes sense to you.
Windows 11, Intel i9-9900K, 32GB DDR4/3000 MHz, GeForce RTX 2070, 1TB M.2 Drive dedicated to Flight Sim

Are your waypoints GPS or VOR? You need to have the CDI set to the correct input (GPS, NAV1 or NAV2) depending on the waypoint. If your cross-track error is very large or the angle between your current heading (when in AP/HDG) and the correct heading to a GPS waypoint is large - the AP will fly a almost a right angle to the GPS heading in order to intersect in in a minimum time. It will then slowly turn onto the proper GPS heading, once it crosses that heading. Your question does not offer enough detail to answer it completely. I fly the C 172/G1000 many hours a day and have no problem with any of the enroute AP settings. But, you need to read the G1000 user manual to really understand how it works. I have been using very sophisticated GPS/Autopilots on big boats for decades and find the G1000 does not work as I expect but does work as described in the manual.
i7-9700K / 32GB DDR4 memory / RTX 3060 Ti with 8GB /Flight Sim on SSD and Win10 on separate SSD / 375 MegaBit / Second internet connection / HP Reverb G2

I think it is a programming glitch. The sim thinks that you must start at the beginning waypoint of the leg you are on of your flight plan regardless from where you are at relative to the next waypoint. I have had success in canceling and then reapplying the flight plan without having to return to the leg's starting waypoint, but that is a PITA. If you time it just right flying over a waypoint and the activating the AP it seems to do fine. Not the way it is suppose to work..but it is a work around...hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

U bedoelt hier toch niet de handleiding van de fysieke uitvoering van de G1000? Kunt u mij een link sturen waar ik die kan vinden? Dan ga ik die handleiding eerst maar een bestudeer.

Ik ben met uw gegevens een beetje aan het experimenteren geweest. Daar bij ontdekte ik dat als ik in het menu een Directe route naar een vliegveld kies dat dan die route wel gevolgd wordt door de AP met Nav als keuze. Maar als ik kies voor een vluchtplan met dezelfde instelling: AP Nav dan wordt dat niet gezien door de AP maar gaat mijn vliegtuig rechtstreeks naar de Noordpool.

Ik heb in het verleden met FSX gevlogen daar was het vliegen op een vluchtplan super eenvoudig. Maakte een vliegplan kies voor GS en Nav en hup daar ging het keurig op het routelijntje

I've been experimenting with your data a little bit. In addition, I discovered that if I choose a Direct route to an airport in the menu, that route will be seen by the AP with Nav as a choice. But if I choose a flight plan with the setting: AP Nav (in the rose of the compass is GPS) then that is not recognized or seen by the AP but my plane goes directly to the North Pole.

The first part of the quickplan route is magenta and it remains that. The Nav arrow frequencies don't change my flight plan can be seen in PMD either, but I don't see any change there either. The 'hook' stays at the first 2 waypoint. Surely the AP should receive route info from the waypoints that will point the needle of the rose in the right direction? The needle stands and continues to point north.

• 2 weeks later...