Where Did You Fly Today?

Jim Robinson

Just curious. Don't care if your flight was 23 NM in a J3 Cub with a 40 kt headwind the whole way, just want to hear about it.

For me it was San Jose, California to Prescott, Arizona in the Carenado 560XL/P3D v4.5 and I had about 80 kts on the tail the whole way. I paid zero attention to the winds aloft planning the flight, purely lucked out. :)

Just curious. Don't care if your flight was 23 NM in a J3 Cub with a 40 kt headwind the whole way, just want to hear about it.

For me it was San Jose, California to Prescott, Arizona in the Carenado 560XL/P3D v4.5 and I had about 80 kts on the tail the whole way. I paid zero attention to the winds aloft planning the flight, purely lucked out. :)

Short Flight from LFBL, Bellegarde.

Started in Foggy weather, finished over the coast in pouring rain! Abandoned trying to reach Isle of Wight for now. Weather is socked-in all the way Oop North of England with low cloud everywhere on the East Coast.

Will try to pick it up tomorrow, as have a Win 10 update pending downloading.

P3D v5.1 with Real Weather from ASP...

So where did you land then, LFRK? Also which airport on Isle of Wight? (Had to google it, lol.)

What's the "danger" airspace all about, what's the danger? (all those airspaces look like a royal nightmare BTW :) )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]224201[/ATTACH]

Bembridge, EGHJ ended up as the destination (GPS worked well!)

Too risky to fly any further inland.

And yes, the airspace is a nghtmare (in real life, too). You can get infringements for just protruding into airways!

I nearly always fly to the coast, then around and up.

Well Jim, you didn't specify what sim version, but given the "... don't care ... Cub ..." comment, here goes - my "permanent newbie" and "legacy sim" status yesterday was: FS2002 standard Cessna 172, flight 1: my local YLIS circuit, flight 2: first time to do a hop, VFR, YLIS to YBAL. Was teaching myself for the first time really, properly, the built-in ATC calls. Quite realistic! (uncontrolled airports, so all were "Traffic ...". Took notes. Flight 3: YBBN Brisbane International, C172, circuit (was trying to see the ATC Artificial Intelligence (AI) aircraft to appear so I could make a better comment to help in forum "FS2002" post by Rdjacksim "How do you make ai ships and ai aircrafts appear in fs2002". Murphy's Law struck, and all my time there none appeared, whereas when I've been there before and not interested in AI aircraft, there are numerous aircraft! Oh well, that's how it goes. However, I did enjoy and learn much yesterday.

Well Jim, you didn't specify what sim version...

Nope, no sim restrictions and in fact I have a soft spot for FS2002 anyway since that was my first sim! Spent almost 20 yrs chasing "better" and yeah I've had a few wow! moments but I'm not sure I've ever been awestruck like I was just initially experiencing what FS was all about. I was a RW pilot before I ever flew a sim so I was pretty stunned when I tuned Coeur d' Alene VOR 108.8 into the Nav1 from memory and the VOR needle came to life!

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading about your flights. I do have to ask about YBAL though. I have FS9, FSX, and P3D v4.5 installed and I can't find YBAL in either one of them. I googled it and found Balladonia but it's like 1500nm away from Lismore and closer to Perth. Did you mean YBNA Ballina?

Hi Jim, yes sorry, YBNA Ballina, about 30 km by road east of YLIS. I forgot to ask you "where did you fly yesterday"? Why are you interested in obscure folk like me, given there's thousands of sim flights worldwide daily? Seeing you've been a FlightSim member since 2005, you must have oodles of experience and skills. Bob Seaman has given me some great tips and help, including the Space Shuttle SRTM mission's worldwide data link. Have downloaded the zip file but haven't installled it yet. And yes, the more I read deeper into the history of Microsoft Flight Simulator and all the versions, am very impressed by the effort the development team/s went to over the years re realism. Was reading the other day in the Help, I think it was the ATC Handbook, where they said they visited a number of ATC offices and tried to get the sim as close as possible to real world activity. Anyhow, any version of FS has such depth that one doesn't get bored easily, always something new to learn.

I forgot to ask you "where did you fly yesterday"?

We got some snow and I'm incarcerated in the house now until March so I've been flying the sim a lot lately. I flew several flights over the weekend and don't really even remember everything I did but I guess the most notable was KPVU (Provo, UT) -> KAPA (Denver, CO) in the Carenado F406.

I just bought the RealityXP GTN 750 and installed it in the F406. I had the Flight 1 version prior and I still have it in FSX but it doesn't work in P3D v4.5 being 64 bit. This flight was sort of a shakedown for the new GTN, first real flight I'd done with it. It worked well but I need to study up in the manual a bit.

I tried to do this flight VFR at 17000' but the weather wasn't working out so I figured as long as I'm on oxygen I may as well go IFR and climb up well above it to take advantage of better tailwinds. The F406 made it to 25,000' with ease and I saw 310 kts GS at one point near Aspen!

The F406 is similar to the Conquest but it's not pressurized and it uses Pratt & Whitney PT-6s rather than the Garretts the Conquest uses. Normally they don't fly this high in the real world but IIRC the service ceiling is 30,000'. They're a rare aircraft in fact, they were manufactured under license by Reims in France. As near as I can tell from flightaware there are only three of them in the states and only one of those flies regularly enough to have a flight history on flightaware. I think the others see some use sourcing aerial imagery and there probably isn't much of that going on this time of year. Here's a screenshot:

kpvu_kapa_01.jpg

Why are you interested in obscure folk like me, given there's thousands of sim flights worldwide daily?

I don't think you're any more obscure than I am, lol. I just like hearing about other people's flights. I like the screenshot forum too, especially when the posters provide a little backstory with their shots.

Jim

Hmm, all very interesting Jim, and thanks for the nice long, newsy post, plus pic. As I've said in a few posts now, the deeper I go into this FS world, the deeper it gets! A very, very rich environment, especially when one can chew the fat with a few buddies around the world, irrespective whether they're a "Junior Member" like me, or an old pro "VIP Member"" like you. I think that's what's meant by the word "fraternity"! Will look up your route and your plane when I get a chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Sim: FS9.

Aircraft: Bill Lyons Grumman JRF-2 Goose.

Mods: FSAviator's G21 Goose enhanced realism .air file; and RealEngine v1.1

Mission: Ferry 3 volcanologists (and assorted equipment) from St Marteen (TNCM) to E.T. Joshua (TVSV) St Vincent & the Grenadines to study La Soufriere during its recent "effusive eruption stage".

Scenery: FlyTampa St. Marteen Complete; and Chris Wilkes Islands of the West Indies (I know, I know, TVSV has been de-commissioned :), but it's still operational in my iteration of the Caribbean).

Summary: performed a missed approach on final - #2 engine acting up since Martinique (fluctuating rpms); executed a water landing in Kingston Harbor.

Edited by caphavoc

I jumped in a TBM and flew from Corfu up and over the Alps and down again into Innsbruck, incident free..... a thoroughly enjoyable flight....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Been playing with this flight plan into a USFS airport in the mountains south of Glacier Park. The flight plan descends you through the canyons and eventually dumps you out on final for 3U7, Benchmark. I've flown it in the Pilatus PC-12 (easy), Beech C90 GTX, and even the Lear 45. :)

S27_3U7_01.jpg

Departure airport is S27 Kalispell City just south of Glacier Park Intl, cruise altitude is 15,000', total distance is 79 NM. Waypoints show up in the GPS as A7800, A7200, etc. which are the crossing altitudes for each waypoint, if anyone wants to try it you can download the flight plan here:

https://flightplandatabase.com/plan/3778305

Guest Rockcliffe2
Circuits in the fantastic MB-339 from MCAS Kanehoe Bay in Hawaii. I had to get away from the snow for awhile. And the Aermacchi is just so much fun to fly.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...