Crash to desktop

Well, I guess I am going to the side of disheartened. Last three updates have resulted in 6 different incomplete flights in a row resulting in crash to desktop, with the latest one only 13 minutes in a tbm930 vfr flight from tampa to atlanta during climb. I am running with no mods and nothing in the community folder. I always reboot the computer after an update. It is to bad because the sim is really nice, when you can land somewhere. Hopefully they will get their act together soon.

Oh, just for reference, I have completed over 50 similar flights before the updates...so it isn't my computer...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is by any chance the Developer Mode on? It seems FS2020 becomes very unstable if you leave it on when it is not needed. Now that I put DM off once I used it to either switch planes or location, or check frame rates, I have no CTD

Just a thought

J-Louis

J-Louis Belard, 6 miles SW of KGAI

Dell XPS,8930, I-7 9700, 32GB DD4,

512 SSD, 2TB HD, 6GB GeForce GTX 1660

No, I have never gone in the developer mode. I just basically fly the TBM930 around Florida and Georgia. Tried the scenic flight, but it CTD over New Jersey....Usually just fly vfr and with gpa autopilot, landings varied between RNAV and ILS....Last ILS into St Augustine had me perfectly lined up on the taxi way...maybe a Harrison Ford simulator...lol

Can you describe all the controllers you use. I think some controllers may have been mapped in the updates that were not before. If you now have several devices that you had mapped, they may now be in conflict?? Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Can you describe all the controllers you use. I think some controllers may have been mapped in the updates that were not before. If you now have several devices that you had mapped, they may now be in conflict??

ok...here is an update...first, I would like to thank the Plainsman for his knowledge. I looked in controller area and MSFS picked up a bluetooth Logitech 710 wireless game controller that I use for other games. Couldn't find a way to delete it, so I unplugged the bluetooth dongle for it. Set up a flight from Tampa to Anchorage with unlimited fuel at 31000 feet VFR on Autopilot GPS. Figured it would CTD within an hour.... Set throttle so ETA would be about 12 hours. Landed this morning on runway 25L at PANC with a total time of 12hrs 15min. Seems Plainsman was correct again...thank you.

I have a game controller plugged in all the time (I have it programmed to control all the camera views and a few other things) and it causes no problems.

I had a lot of system crashes when I was using an overclocked i7-2600K system, but since I've gone to the new (i7-10700) system I've not had a single crash.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Generally with CTDs, I initially look at what addons I may have recently installed. Not specifically related to your issue, but worth a mentiin for others having issues

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

It isn't the controller itself, it is two devices giving conflicting commands. Actually there are a number of causes for CTDs. Addons, Controller conflicts, Slow memory, and Overclocking seem to be the major ones.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting really frustrated with my CTD - I was running a lower spec system (4770k, 780Ti and 32gb ram) with lower video settings and all seemed fine. Desided to upgrade for flightsim and went to 10700k, 2080 Super, 32Gb 3600Mhz ram and 2 x NVMe drives on an Asus z490-F mainboard.

I have not installed any mods, no overclocking (not even the memory profile) but get random CTD - usually after a while. Driving me nuts.

Done all the usual, even running in Admin but not helped (it is very random so hard to tell if anything has made it better)

It does seem to be linked to audio in some way - I tend to notice a small pause in video with some audio, typically the radio static sounds causes a pause and this usually means there is a good chance I will get a CTD soon. Just tried flying the Airbus from Birmingham to Heathrow, maybe 20 mins or so, as I was decending to land I was watching the altimeter smoothly scrolling down but noticed everytime I heard the "radio static" the altimeter would noticably pause (I suspect everything was pausing but easy to see on the altimeter) and resume after the static sound.

As I touched down (hard) got the CTD.

Driving me mad.

Would really welcome any suggestions.

Go into your bios and drop your ram speed down to 3400mhz. It sorted ALL my CTDs out and I know other simmers have done the same. Certainly worth a try.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I havent increased from the stock (auto) so running at 2100 mhz. - I did try 3600mhz initally which seemed fine for everything else but on a forum they suggested running anything above 2100 wasnt officially supported by the CPU and suggested going back to auto for best reliability - which I have done.

Is it worth increasing to 3400 or is that likely to make it worse?

Thanks for the help

I ended up down tuning my rig, hell it worked a treat......... remember not all rigs are the same.....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

when I upgraded my pc & bought the 3600mhz ram, my motherboard automatically set it to 3600. If you’ve got XMP enabled it’ll usually do this. I guess yours is a bit different (your speed will actually be 2133mhz)

Anyway, I dropped my speed to a lower one but I still got the CTDs. Disabling XMP (which put mine down to 2133) didn’t help either. The only thing that helped was by dropping it by just one notch.. to 3400. For some reason it stopped all my crashes.

I’d give it a go if I were you. You’ve nothing to lose & can always put it back.

By the way.. which CPU have you got? You didn’t say which model exactly

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Sorry - I have the i7 10700k. I currenly have XMP off - I have XMPI and XMPII tried both (XMPII sets everything whereas XMPI leaves some settings on Auto - both result in 3600mhz - not sure if thats an ASUS thing or not.

Should I try enabling the XMPII then see if I can change DRAM down to 3400 - or should I be leaving it on auto and just change DRAM to 3400?

Thanks again for all your help with this....

I think leaving it on auto is probably best, but then see if you can drop the ram speed to 3400.

You can’t do any damage, and hopefully it’ll sort your problem out.

Regards

Steve

Spook, as someone else pointed out, each rig is different. I know this from experience. I too am dealing with CTD's but mine come after extended flights of an hour or longer.

I feel I have identified the culprit as being my CPU. It failed the stress test, and last night, had no other programs running, was flying along, wanted to use my drone camera (something I do a lot), the instant I hit the "Insert" key, it crashed.

I've changed my RAM out in the pass, made all 32 gigs the same brand, clock speed etc., could not get it run at 3000, only 2133, or XMP. I still had the CTD going both ways.

I took out my wireless controller, replaced it with wired ones, helped once or twice, then back to it.

Stress tested my GPU, it was fine. However, my MB, CPU are 4-5 years old, doubtful I can replace just the CPU.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

However, my MB, CPU are 4-5 years old, doubtful I can replace just the CPU.

Check your MB manual, online if you don't have the printed copy, you may be surprised - my MB is the same age and I could upgrade to an i7-7700K @4.20GHz. You don't seem convinced about the PSU, but as they say in NASCAR "there's no substitute for cubes" and in PC's that means your PSU - get the biggest one that fits in your case - there's no such thing as Overkill when it comes to PSU's!

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Well, I have checked the online manual and it does look like I can get a slight upgrade to the Core i7-7700K (4.2GHz)

Question is: is it worth it?

Edit-will cost me around $450 from Amazon

Also, my technical skills are challenged, lol, putting together my taco's at dinner is about it :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Well, I have checked the online manual and it does look like I can get a slight upgrade to the Core i7-7700K (4.2GHz)

Question is: is it worth it?

Edit-will cost me around $450 from Amazon

Also, my technical skills are challenged, lol, putting together my taco's at dinner is about it :)

When I upgraded my pc a few months ago I had the same dilemma. I could have upgraded my CPU only but didn’t think it was worth it.

I have changed a couple of motherboards & CPUs before but quite a while ago and I was worried about doing it wrong & damaging it.

In the end I bought a “bare bones” pc.. a motherboard, psu, & cpu already assembled in a new case. All I had to do was add my M2 drives, GPU & Ram, which is much easier. Then of course install Windows etc.

If youre going to upgrade, it’s always good to get the best spec you can/afford.

I also sold my previous rig on eBay (after putting a previous GPU & hard drive back in)

Regards

Steve

When I upgraded my pc a few months ago I had the same dilemma. I could have upgraded my CPU only but didn’t think it was worth it.

I have changed a couple of motherboards & CPUs before but quite a while ago and I was worried about doing it wrong & damaging it.

In the end I bought a “bare bones” pc.. a motherboard, psu, & cpu already assembled in a new case. All I had to do was add my M2 drives, GPU & Ram, which is much easier. Then of course install Windows etc.

If youre going to upgrade, it’s always good to get the best spec you can/afford.

I also sold my previous rig on eBay (after putting a previous GPU & hard drive back in)

Regards

Steve

Hmm, that might just work. I can install drives etc. (not sure about the liquid cooling.

Where would I go to though?

I didn’t realise it when I bought my second setup, but I’d bought exactly the same case as my first one LOL

Forgot to mention, there was also a cooling system too & that was already installed for me.

I went to CCL Computers website.. chose a gaming pc with a good CPU and then went through all the components, removing the items I didn’t need.

I’ve used CCL a few times over the years (http://www.cclonline.com) but most computer firms will let you buy them like this. As long as you get a case, motherboard, cpu and cooling (& a psu) then the rest is simple.

Regards

Steve