Can you mix and match RAM from different kits?

This video answers a question I've been wondering about myself. If I have 4 memory slots and two are populated with 8 GB memory stick for a total of 16. Can I drop in two more sticks from different kits/sets to make up 32 GB or do I have to get rid of my installed sticks and start over? Turns out it's complicated. Who would have thought computers would be complicated?

Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot:

This video answers a question I've been wondering about myself. If I have 4 memory slots and two are populated with 8 GB memory stick for a total of 16. Can I drop in two more sticks from different kits/sets to make up 32 GB or do I have to get rid of my installed sticks and start over? Turns out it's complicated. Who would have thought computers would be complicated?

I woud NEVER mx RAM from different makers, or even different sizes.

2006 called - they want their DRAM back.

Mixed sizes and kits "should" work. The difference is that the matched pairs are warrantied to do so, others are not. Specs are specs; if the RAM doesn't work within its published spec it should be RMAd.

Cheers

Luke

2006 called - they want their DRAM back.

Mixed sizes and kits "should" work. The difference is that the matched pairs are warrantied to do so, others are not. Specs are specs; if the RAM doesn't work within its published spec it should be RMAd.

Cheers

Luke

Yep, provided you aren't buying cheap, no-name brand sticks from a shady website, RAM from different manufacturers will work together fine. Maybe it will affect overclocking, but for most people this isn't a concern.

I know. Your mileage will very. There are others who argue differently. I doubt that there is an actual scientific test so these are all anecdotal.
Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot:

I have done this in the past, but remember that the memory will only operate at the clock speed of the weakest bank.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)