Lockheed L188 Electra

BillD22

Here are some shots of the Lockheed L188 Electra. This is the Team FS KBT model converted over to FS2020 from FSX.

An Eastern Airlines Electra on approach to Orlando International Airport (KMCO). This airplane has the famous "Hockey Stick" livery and the U.S. Bi-Centennial logo indicating a 1976 timeframe - shortly before Eastern retired all of its Electras.

eal1.jpg

eal2.jpg

eal3.jpg

eal4.jpg

An L188 prototype/test/demo aircraft in the Lockheed house livery.

LM0.jpg

LM01.jpg

lm1.jpg

LM2.jpg

A Varig Brazilian Airlines Electra on the ramp in Rio de Janeiro. Varig picked up many of Eastern's L188's when they were retired and used them on the Rio to Sao Paulo shuttle in much the same way Eastern had used them on the hourly DC to New York shuttle.

Varig.jpg

A shot of the sleek turboprop engine nacelles on the L188. If you ever heard the distinctive whine of the Electra's Allison D501 engines (or the T-56 military version on the P-3 and C-130) it was a sound you would never forget and instantly recognize!

D501.jpg

Edited by BillD22

Great work with the Eastern and Varig Electra pics. Bill. The Electras got a lot of bad publicity, but for my money, and for all the miles they flew, were a fine aircraft. It was a difficult transition from propliners to jets and the Electra did it's bit to fill the gap. :cool: :cool: :)

Larry

Brings back memories of many, many business flights in the 60's from Rochester, NY, to Chicago - forgot which airline, but I think it was American. The entire plane was Business Class, the rear end of the cabin had semi-circular sofa seat, and free cocktails were served by stewardesses (they were in those days), who were all young and pretty wearing miniskirt uniforms. Those were the good old days!

Ah the scream of transonic propeller tips in the morning.

The Navy sub chaser P-3 Orion is based on the Electra and I'll bet they have a billion total fleet I bmiles and if I'm correct some are still flying.

I believe I'm correct that they were the first "jet" to serve my home town Asheville, NC.

Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot:

Brings back memories of many, many business flights in the 60's from Rochester, NY, to Chicago - forgot which airline, but I think it was American. The entire plane was Business Class, the rear end of the cabin had semi-circular sofa seat, and free cocktails were served by stewardesses (they were in those days), who were all young and pretty wearing miniskirt uniforms. Those were the good old days!

Thanks Ray, John, & Larry.

Yes - those were indeed "the good old days." Big seats with lots of leg room, actual meals inflight, and friendly perky flight attendants.

What a concept!!! :D:D

Next up for pics - the Electra's more long lived and very close cousin - the Navy P-3. Which reminds me - GO NAVY BEAT ARMY!!!

P3.jpg

Edited by BillD22

GREAT SHOTS I like the last screenshot showing well worn and very dirty engine covers. Who painted that livery in the last screenshot please??

Allow me to quote words of famous Buffalo Joe on the Electra plane. He said that you got to be careful handling the engines because they are so powerful that they can rip themselves off the wings

Nice to see you recreate Eastern flights!!! I few on Eastern Electra between klga and cyul.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

GREAT SHOTS I like the last screenshot showing well worn and very dirty engine covers. Who painted that livery in the last screenshot please??

Allow me to quote words of famous Buffalo Joe on the Electra plane. He said that you got to be careful handling the engines because they are so powerful that they can rip themselves off the wings

The Varig is by Fabio Cabral. Fabio has done a bunch of FSX Electra liveries. Not sure if they're in the library here - can get them at Avsim.

Pilots love the Electra engines because of both the power and - more important - the instant response. Jets take a few seconds to spool up to full power when the power is advanced - turboprops are instant. So if you need power in a hurry to get out of a jam they're the ticket.

Edited by BillD22

Beautifully done. Thanks for the post

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks especially good in those Eastern colors! And don't even get me started on the P-3. I'll be waiting on that one! :D

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Pilots love the Electra engines because of both the power and - more important - the instant response. Jets take a few seconds to spool up to full power when the power is advanced - turboprops are instant. So if you need power in a hurry to get out of a jam they're the ticket.

That is DARN NEW INTERESTING aviation fact for me!! Thanks for answer on engine covers

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png