Issue with flying straight (AP, A320)

Dear Simmers,

I've reinstalled the whole game today since this problem makes MF2020 really unplayable for me.

Flying with Thrustmaster Hotas X, using flightplan, IFS and AP on the A320 always starts to get into a yaw banking to the left or right with the (auto) rudder active to the right or left respectively to counter it. It looks like having side winds of 40knots :cool: but to test I set the weather to fine and still the same.

When departing or taxiing I can control the Thrustmaster's rudder nicely and all looks pretty good calibrated, but during flights the yaw gets heavier and heavier...

Any clues? I don't have drivers for this joystick installed since I can use M$-Windows joystick calibration tool just fine. I'm wondering this has anything todo with the AP maybe?

I have what sounds like the same issue. With a simple heading hold AP flight configuration, I can't get the aircraft anywhere near the desired heading, wings are banked left 15-20° (a/c is not turning, though), and, on the external view, you can see the rudder kicked hard left.

My joystick (a tried and true Sidewinder) doesn't have anything to do with the scenario.

As of two updates ago I now see this problem regularly on what used to be my go-to "reliable" aircraft (Caravan, Baron, Kingair). The autopilot (awful to begin with) seems to have taken a huge step backwards.

Winds, aircraft loading and balance are not factors, either.

BARON_AP3.jpg

Edited by jfitler

i7-7700K 4.20GHz

MSI Z-270A Pro Series MB

32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8Gb

WDC WDS240G1G01 240Gb SSD

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1Tb HDD

Seagate OneTouch 1Tb SSD

Seagate BUP 5Tb HDD

2 LG 4k 32" displays

Microsoft X05-63895 Sidewinder joystick

Logitech M325 mouse

Costco 14993BLK4E XL series folding chair

ACCO Model 40 stapler

Rubbermaid MFG295600 plastic rubbish bin

Are these stock Asobo planes or mods?..IE with liveries or 3rd party add ons?

Mine are all stock aircraft

i7-7700K 4.20GHz

MSI Z-270A Pro Series MB

32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 RAM

Seagate OneTouch 1Tb SSD

Seagate BUP 5Tb HDD

2 LG 4k 32" displays

Logitech M325 mouse

ACCO Model 40 stapler

As of two updates ago I now see this problem regularly

Same here. And today I tried without Joystick connected flying by keyboard and still same issue.

No mods either (completely deleted and new installation)....

Sigh.

Do you have another keyboard to try? it might be a keyboard issue?

BTW, you are not in roll mode are you?? Check the panel.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

wings are banked left 15-20° (a/c is not turning, though), and, on the external view, you can see the rudder kicked hard left.

That's REALLY weird, but what is the aileron deflection? A left bank usually implies left aileron (or maybe near neutral), and left rudder with it should be turning the aircraft to the left. There would be nothing left to stop the turn.

In the picture I see no aileron deflection, so that's rather weird. Does it fly normally with the AP disengaged? Might be a program bug?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

fly235 and jfitler - do you have any of the Assistance settings switched on, or AI control from the in-flight drop-down menu?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

To reply to the previous input...

-do you have any of the Assistance settings switched on - no, all are off

-or AI control from the in-flight drop-down menu? - no AI control

-Does it fly normally with the AP disengaged? - Yes - hand flies just fine with no AP

-That's REALLY weird, but what is the aileron deflection? - visually there is no aileron or elevator deflection. Aircraft is not turning or climbing but flying in a straight line. In real life this attitude would be difficult to hold without considerable rudder and aileron interaction, which does not appear to be happening.

-Do you have another keyboard to try? it might be a keyboard issue? - Keyboard functions normally. Again, the problem appears ONLY when the autopilot is activated.

-BTW, you are not in roll mode are you?? Check the panel. - If you mean, is the aircraft in the process of executing a roll, no. Note the degree of bank in the screenshot. Other than that, the plane is in straight and level flight and, once the autopilot is activated (using only the heading and altitude hold features), then everything goes to hell.

Edited by jfitler

i7-7700K 4.20GHz

MSI Z-270A Pro Series MB

32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 RAM

Seagate OneTouch 1Tb SSD

Seagate BUP 5Tb HDD

2 LG 4k 32" displays

Logitech M325 mouse

ACCO Model 40 stapler

The more I see this, the more it appears that the autopilot has a bug that interferes with it's being able to perform a coordinated turn (using ailerons, elevator and rudder together). Almost like there is no elevator control, while the rudder and ailerons end up fighting one another.

i7-7700K 4.20GHz

MSI Z-270A Pro Series MB

32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 RAM

Seagate OneTouch 1Tb SSD

Seagate BUP 5Tb HDD

2 LG 4k 32" displays

Logitech M325 mouse

ACCO Model 40 stapler

The more I see this, the more it appears that the autopilot has a bug that interferes with it's being able to perform a coordinated turn (using ailerons, elevator and rudder together). Almost like there is no elevator control, while the rudder and ailerons end up fighting one another.

There's definitely a corrupted file somewhere, have you tried repairing MSFS via the Apps & features list in Windows 10 Settings?

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Just so I understand, are you in selected or managed? You don't mention either and it is important to know which you are in, as hdg works differently in each.

This would only apply to the A320, it would not explain the other aircraft.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Just so I understand, are you in selected or managed? You don't mention either and it is important to know which you are in, as hdg works differently in each.

This would only apply to the A320, it would not explain the other aircraft.

Where exactly is "selected" vs "managed" determined?

If by managed you mean AI assistance, no I am not using it.

i7-7700K 4.20GHz

MSI Z-270A Pro Series MB

32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 RAM

Seagate OneTouch 1Tb SSD

Seagate BUP 5Tb HDD

2 LG 4k 32" displays

Logitech M325 mouse

ACCO Model 40 stapler

There's definitely a corrupted file somewhere, have you tried repairing MSFS via the Apps & features list in Windows 10 Settings?

Not yet, but it looks like I will soon be heading that way! :)

i7-7700K 4.20GHz

MSI Z-270A Pro Series MB

32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 RAM

Seagate OneTouch 1Tb SSD

Seagate BUP 5Tb HDD

2 LG 4k 32" displays

Logitech M325 mouse

ACCO Model 40 stapler

No, the A320 has two settings for each AP feature, selected or manual, and managed which is determined by the computer. In selected, the hdg mode will (or should) follow your heading as per the heading bug. In managed, the computer will determine the heading to follow the flight plan, not the heading you set. The two are set using the vertical arrows over each control, as a toggle

No, the A320 has two settings for each AP feature, selected or manual, and managed which is determined by the computer. In selected, the hdg mode will (or should) follow your heading as per the heading bug. In managed, the computer will determine the heading to follow the flight plan, not the heading you set. The two are set using the vertical arrows over each control, as a toggle

Thanks, plainsman. I (for now) fly the A320 very little. I currently spend most of my time in the Caravan, Baron and Kingair, so I don't encounter that scenario.

i7-7700K 4.20GHz

MSI Z-270A Pro Series MB

32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 RAM

Seagate OneTouch 1Tb SSD

Seagate BUP 5Tb HDD

2 LG 4k 32" displays

Logitech M325 mouse

ACCO Model 40 stapler

To piggy back on plainsman if you take your mouse and move it over the heading knob depending on top half or bottom half of the knob the mouse will show either managed or selected, managed follows the route you chose in the flight set up, selected means you manually select or dial in the heading. I believe it is set managed by default.It's the same with altitude. I use managed speed and route and selected for altitude. To engage selected press the knob in with the mouse. Also make sure your throttle is retarded into the "CL" slot. Why this matters I no not why but apparently it does or did at one point.

Not yet, but it looks like I will soon be heading that way! :)

Just another thought - this can happen if you're using Legacy flight mode when flying the default aircraft. This could have been set or reset after the last update, if so try changing to Modern flight mode.

Just another thought - this can happen if you're using Legacy flight mode when flying the default aircraft. This could have been set or reset after the last update, if so try changing to Modern flight mode.

You're my HERO tiger! Switching away from legacy to modern did solve a myriad of issues including the strange banked experience with no weather influence. I landed ILS succesfully since many weeks :)

You're welcome fly235, glad it's fixed!

I realize that the OP says they moved on. Just a suggestion for the A320, try the FBW (FlyByWire) mod for the default A320 @ https://github.com/Externoak/A32NX-installer/releases/latest/download/A32NX_Downloader.zip, and use the "Development" version. This mod can be seen in action at the official MFS20 Discord channel. This is not meant as an advertisement. I am truly trying to help you, in regards to the A320.

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

"One woman's chop is another man's turbulence"

Some of these mods are causing crashes. I would be patient, as I think this group is working with Asobo to include much of the mod in a future update, without the risk.

The FBW Developer mode works just fine. What happened to me was the last MSFS2020 update reversed my aileron axis in my CH Products flight yoke. Once I figured that one out the mod works perfectly. Try going final with the axis reversed. It was quite a ride.