Hello from Olympia WA

Raven Flight

I'm new to siming but not to foruming so I'll say hello. I've been watching and learning since the launch with lots of dithering about wants vs budget and got lucky on Cyber Monday. There is an inherent risk in ordering a computer. From the reviews it appears that statistically about 10% are defective or damaged upon receipt so I hope luck holds out. Purchased through Newegg with credit card just in case. I'll report on how that adventure goes as it develops.

I flew Cessna 152 and 172's VFR when I was in college which was too many years ago think about. Then life happened and flying is an expensive hobby. What else can I say. By the time I had the money I also had a medical condition and couldn't pass a flight physical so I took up sailing which is quite similar and expensive but I cured that by living on boat for 30 years and sailing the NW Inside Passage.

In many ways this seems more complicated than flying a real light plane in VFR conditions except that if you screw up you don't die. There are a hundred variables just deciding on what rig to buy or build. I intended to build but found this one which is close enough for government work already built with a NVIDIA 3070 card you can't buy anywhere. I basically bought the box to get the card and at the same price as the separately purchased parts.

By the way I lived in Seattle before moving to Olympia so all those beautiful pictures in the MS videos are my old back yard. I'll sign off for now and check back in with lots of questions as things develop.

Liquid Cooled, i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, 16K G.Skill Ram, 1 Tb NVME M.2

Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot:

I'm new to siming but not to foruming so I'll say hello. I've been watching and learning since the launch with lots of dithering about wants vs budget and got lucky on Cyber Monday. There is an inherent risk in ordering a computer. From the reviews it appears that statistically about 10% are defective or damaged upon receipt so I hope luck holds out. Purchased through Newegg with credit card just in case. I'll report on how that adventure goes as it develops.

I flew Cessna 152 and 172's VFR when I was in college which was too many years ago think about. Then life happened and flying is an expensive hobby. What else can I say. By the time I had the money I also had a medical condition and couldn't pass a flight physical so I took up sailing which is quite similar and expensive but I cured that by living on boat for 30 years and sailing the NW Inside Passage.

In many ways this seems more complicated than flying a real light plane in VFR conditions except that if you screw up you don't die. There are a hundred variables just deciding on what rig to buy or build. I intended to build but found this one which is close enough for government work already built with a NVIDIA 3070 card you can't buy anywhere. I basically bought the box to get the card and at the same price as the separately purchased parts.

By the way I lived in Seattle before moving to Olympia so all those beautiful pictures in the MS videos are my old back yard. I'll sign off for now and check back in with lots of questions as things develop.

Liquid Cooled, i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, 16K G.Skill Ram, 1 Tb NVME M.2

So, what are your plans?

Have you decided what you are buying to go along with your bright, shiney new PC?

It's going to be an inch by inch row by row deal. The whole thing for me is as my body slows down I stay busy doing challenging things to keep the brain cells operating well. I had intended to do a computer build as a winter. The build suddenly got short circuited. I have never gamed so the first step is to find out if the computer runs and transfer files from my old non game computer and the next will be to replace the 27 inch TV I use for monitor with a real one. I would prefer a yoke and foot pedals since I have experience flying that way. Failing that there are some joysticks out there that I could used to get started. Eventually it will all come together and I'll be satisfied to fly the 152/172 out of the Olympia airport for awhile. Two summers ago I made a final victory lap tour of many of the ports I've visited here in the NW by sail over the years. It will be interesting to revisit them by air. It appears to me that the sim has a lifetime worth of things to try and frankly I suspect as far time goes I think it would take less time to relearn to fly the real plane but it's something I'll have to save for another lifetime. Thanks for the response. Suggestions always appreciated.
Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot:

Hi Raven Flight, I'm an "old old old newbie" in Australia. Am old re being 65, seems many of the fs'ers are of this era. Am also old re fs and a newbie as I never seem to get out of just-starting mode. Am using old gear - WinXP pc and FS2002, is enough for me for now, "legacy fs". Having been a pilot you've got that covered. The FS world is easy to pick up, and yes, an endless world of fun and via this website also good companionship. Have a browse through the forums, they're very informative. Take your time and enjoy the journey!

I hate to bust your bubble but that 3070, and who made it, has 'problem' and has had bad reviews. The manufacturer(s) know the 'problem' but sell anyway and will not honor returns or do replacement. If you ask for a different card (or will cancel the order) you won't get one I bet. They just don't tell you everything ...it's SELL, SELL, SELL.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

MAD1 thanks for your encouragement. Doesn't it take awhile to get used to flying upside down South of the equator? :)

Napamule2 thanks for the post. Of course I would be interested in seeing the information you have. The card comes in a built computer and Newegg currently has an extended return period until Jan 31. As I more or less said. I started out with the idea of doing my own build but there is absolutely no telling when any of the new generation cards will be available. If this fails I'll go back to plan B. The sound is going out on my present computer that I've never used for anything but Internet and e-mail. So at worst I plan to build a gaming box around a i9-10850, just use it to replace my old box using the integrated video and until I can track down an appropriate video card. At least I'll be able to listen to music without the current hiss.

MAD1 thanks for your encouragement. Doesn't it take awhile to get used to flying upside down South of the equator? :)

Napamule2 thanks for the post. Of course I would be interested in seeing the information you have. The card comes in a built computer and Newegg currently has an extended return period until Jan 31. As I more or less said. I started out with the idea of doing my own build but there is absolutely no telling when any of the new generation cards will be available. If this fails I'll go back to plan B. The sound is going out on my present computer that I've never used for anything but Internet and e-mail. So at worst I plan to build a gaming box around a i9-10850, just use it to replace my old box using the integrated video and until I can track down an appropriate video card. At least I'll be able to listen to music without the current hiss.

Just choose with care, or else rule yourself out of MSFS 2020.

Integrated video will NOT work with some sims.

Huh? Somebody might be upside down, I know I definitely am not! And that Mercator map bloke, his maps are very definitely always upside down. My copy is hanging on my wall the correct way up, just so happens the USA is at the bottom! :p

Oh my god I've been upside down for 72 years. Thanks for the heads up. I just flipped over and things are much better now. Who would have thought?

I was wrong. I went to look at review and it was for a 3090. The 3070 is a very good card. Sorry.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Welcome Raven Flight! Enjoy the ride. Olympia WA caught my eye! Just working on my next video - Forks (S18), over the Olympic National Park and landing at the former site of Lake Mills. Flying the DHC-2 Beaver plus a little background to the Elwha River Restoration project (Elwha and Glines dam removal).

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks. Shipping was very slow but the computer finally came and at this point all I can say is that it works. I have aquired Airbus Joy-stick and am waiting on the throttle quadrant and rudder pedals. I also ordered a second 1 TB NVME HD (It came with one 1 TB) but I want the sim to have it's own drive so I'm waiting on that to come before I start the arduous download process since I don't have professional level broadband. One piece at a time and truthfully I'm in no hurry and wouldn't mind if they worked out a few more bugs before I give it a go. Right now the computer is the one of the worlds most overpowered and under used web browsers which I find sort of funny. If anyone hasn't looked lately flight controls are almost as hard to find at least at an acceptable price as graphic's cards. Newegg prices are outrageous btw and Amazon a close second. I bought the Joystick new from e-bay around Christmas and since then the prices have gone up by at least 50%. Surprisingly I found the best deals on Dell Computer although the shipping is way out there. I suspect they are being shipped directly from China but that doesn't matter it's where they all start out anyway.