FSX on Newer Faster PC

Rhanson

I have copied all FSX files from old PC to new ASUS ROG.

But, I cannot run FSX on the new PC. The error message has to do with DirectX compatibilty.

Both PCs have DirectX 12, and FSX still runs on the old PC.

Any thoughts as to what can be done.

BTW, the ROG has no DVD drive to reload FSX.

also, FS 2020 does not meet my expectations.

Thanks,

Ron

rhanson@centurylink.net

Get the DirectX Redistributables from Microsoft (free download) and install that. Then it ought to work.

But you might (will) have a registration issue, as long as FSX is installed on the "old" PC. It must be uninstalled from the "old PC" and then installed on the ROG. For DVD drive, you could get an external USB-connected drive that might come in useful in other situations.

If all else fails, you could get FSX:SE and have it on as many PCs as you like!

Jorgen

PS: your posting your email address could lead to phishing...

PS PS: I agree with you on MSFS 2020!

I'm assuming Windows 10. Have a read through this: https://windowsreport.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-windows-10/

Make sure FSX is not in the programs folder.

Just because you have DirectX 12 doesn't mean you have the DirectX 9.0c files.

Run the Sim as Admin and in XP SP2 mode.

A DVD/RW drive is no more than 20 bucks. Buy one. Optical media is great for backups and has very god bit integrity compared to magnetic or flash based storage.

My backup strategy is whole 1:1 disk clones in addition to important data backed up to optical media that includes DVD/RW and Blu-ray RE. All kept in a $35 fireproof safe. The safe can be easily broken into, but it's the fire and water protection I'm looking for.

Side notes:

The Feds can raid a safety deposit box. They are NOT fireproof.

Flash media needs electricity every now and then otherwise it'll lose its data. It's in the years, but the bit integrity will fall.

A platter is prone to all kinds of possible mechanical issues.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

I'm assuming Windows 10. Have a read through this: https://windowsreport.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-windows-10/

Make sure FSX is not in the programs folder.

Just because you have DirectX 12 doesn't mean you have the DirectX 9.0c files.

Run the Sim as Admin and in XP SP2 mode.

A DVD/RW drive is no more than 20 bucks. Buy one. Optical media is great for backups and has very god bit integrity compared to magnetic or flash based storage.

My backup strategy is whole 1:1 disk clones in addition to important data backed up to optical media that includes DVD/RW and Blu-ray RE. All kept in a $35 fireproof safe. The safe can be easily broken into, but it's the fire and water protection I'm looking for.

Side notes:

The Feds can raid a safety deposit box. They are NOT fireproof.

Flash media needs electricity every now and then otherwise it'll lose its data. It's in the years, but the bit integrity will fall.

A platter is prone to all kinds of possible mechanical issues.

Never, EVER, copy files from one PC to another, especially not FSX. This must be reinstalled and NOT copied. Now you must UNinstall the original copy from the previous PC.

Ron - I purchased a Laptop several years ago on a Black Friday special. When the computer arrived, DAMN, no external drive! I was faced with the same dilemma as you have! Like Jorgen said, consider purchasing an external drive, they are relatively inexpensive! I don't use mine often, but you will have it when you need it, and, right now it would be nice to have!

Drive.jpg

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

I recommend FSX-Steam - I've had it for 5 years and it's almost hassle-free. (It may be cheaper than a external DVD player).

My PC crashed recently and Win 10 had to be re-installed - plus the registry was toast - very few apps would load anymore without a re-install, including FSX. So I went to my Steam account and it reinstalled FSX relatively quickly. Of, course, I had to copy many files from my FSX backup such as non-default aircraft and scenery (plus CFG files, etc.) which you will also probably have to do in any case.

I have had FSX-SE for some years, never a problem with any addons. Just don't install the Steam program into your program(86) or program folders. . . . and like yourself, my last computer also lacking DVD drive but a quick purchase of relatively cheap usb drive solved problem.

Never, EVER, copy files from one PC to another, especially not FSX. This must be reinstalled and NOT copied. Now you must UNinstall the original copy from the previous PC.

Did you smoke a bowl? I have NO idea WTF you're talking about as it pertains to my post about MY backup methods. Especially, ESPECIALLY copying/pasting files from one PC to the next. That bit of nonsense is idiotic behind a nomenclature or words I'll refrain from posting. Unreal.

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed FSX-SE on Windows 10, and I think it even went into the program 86. The only problem I had was the "computer out of memory error", which seems to be a problem with the program, and not the version. This was during a 14 hour flight.

Everything else including install was a breeze.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Did you smoke a bowl?

:) :) :)

That's all I have to say about that!

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I just installed FSX-SE on Windows 10, and I think it even went into the program 86. The only problem I had was the "computer out of memory error", which seems to be a problem with the program, and not the version. This was during a 14 hour flight.

Everything else including install was a breeze.

Read the link in my signature below. Use SceneryConfigEditor.

As said the best solution is FSX.SE.

Just add that if you have in your old PC plenty of FSX addons, and want to avoid reinstall you can do as follows:

Install FSX-SE (or FSX boxed) in the new PC

Unistall FSX of the old PC, then in the main folder will remain all addons.

Then you can copy all those files to your FSX in the new PC