Hi

I am not sure if this is the right place to add this and if its not I apologies in advance. I don't know much about computers unfortunately but I just bought MFS2020 and want to upgrade my computer so I can enjoy it more. I am looking for a Desktop and was recommended Asus ROG Strix GA15 Gaming Desktop (512GB) [RTX 2060S] but not sure if that will give me a great experience (I want between the recommended and ideal specs). I am not sure if this is the one for me or what I should do?

Also any suggestions on the best place to purchase a desktop from ? (I am in Australia)

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

If you were in the USA, I would have several options to recommend, but your choice of vendors in Australia may be limited?

A few things, you don't mention the CPU (the actual processor) and that is must know information. The Asus Strix will actually be the motherboard and maybe the assembler, but the CPU, GPU, and storage drives as well as memory all come from other sources. The RTX 2060super is the GPU or video card. This is a good choice for a budget conscious system if you plan to run 1080P or 1440k resolutions at high or medium settings. If you plan to run ultra settings, particularly in 1440K you will probably want more GPU power. If you plan to run 4K, you will need a RTX 2080 or better to really enjoy the program.

CPU you could run the simulator fine on an I5 10600K processor at 1080p or 1440k resolutions. If you plan to run 4K, you will need an I9 to really run the program well.

You don't mention memory speed, but you will need at least 16GB of 2800 or faster and i suggest 32GB.

You really need an SSD or M,2 to run this program. 512GB is, in my opinion, too small. Go with a 1TB device either SSD or M.2.

Your power supply selection is also important for the longevity of your system. Make sure the system has a minimum of 650 watts and 750 is really needed or more if you go with a more powerful GPU. Many vendors will try to get by with a cheap 600 watt PSU that is likely to fail prematurely.

You need a case that has good cooling, as this program really taxes the components which creates lots of heat, and it is unabated by drop in demand, the heat generation is pretty constant. Poor cooling will shorten the life of the components and may lower the performance of key systems.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Hi

I am not sure if this is the right place to add this and if its not I apologies in advance. I don't know much about computers unfortunately but I just bought MFS2020 and want to upgrade my computer so I can enjoy it more. I am looking for a Desktop and was recommended Asus ROG Strix GA15 Gaming Desktop (512GB) [RTX 2060S] but not sure if that will give me a great experience (I want between the recommended and ideal specs). I am not sure if this is the one for me or what I should do?

Also any suggestions on the best place to purchase a desktop from ? (I am in Australia)

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Hi, I found this very helpful

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?21291-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Performance-Benchmark-Analysis

Thank you. Yes I find it hard to find the best place to buy here in Australia.

With what you mentioned above, what would you recommend as a prebuild unit that would work great but not break the bank?

Thanks for your detailed response.

Most prebuilt systems will fall short in some areas. I don't know anything about this company, but it appears they could build a system that is between recommended and ideal specs for ~$2,800-$3400.

You don't say what monitor you will be using? That makes a big difference in recommendations for great performance.

https://dreampc.com.au/

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

My experience ... Bought Micro Center Power Spec 434 ($1600 plus extended warranty): Intel I7-9700K, Zotac NVidia RTX 2070 Super Mini, G Skill Ripjaw 32GB DDR4-3600 RAM; 1TB NVMe SSD (added a second 1 TB SSD), CPU cooler/lights, 27 inch curved AOC C27G1 monitor (have 2011 Alienware M17X-R3 laptop with FSX and lots of 3rd party scenery installed).

My monitor is an AOC c27g1 27" full hd 144hz vga hdmi dp freesync curved led gaming monitor. Just started readiing about 1440p and 4K monitors.

Variably getting 35-45 fps, but low-mid 20's over complex scenery, eg the DRZEWIECKI Design - Washington Landmarks for MSFS, all graphics settings max'd. Joystick is Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS 1 ($80).

Your motherboard is for an AMD processor. So lets begin there. Which one do you have? I would guess it's fairly new since the 2060i is about a year old. A 2060i and an appropriate CPU should give you a reasonable experience on at least a moderate setting on 1080 Pi. And you are fortunate in a way because you aren't likely to be able to buy a latest version video card until at least next spring unless you are willing to buy a pre-built machine with one in it. Those are available. If you want or need to upgrade your cpu an AMD 3600XT costs $359 and a 3800XT is $380 at Newegg.com. MSFS is about single core clock speed and doesn't benefit proportionately by more cores and threads. They both have good clock speed with 6 and 8 cores. They have boost speeds of 4.4 and 4.5 can be overclocked. Review convinces is that more than 6 cores is probably not very helpful. Tests have shown that MSFS rarely peaks above full usage of 16 mg ram. If you have at least a 2700 or 2700XT my advise is to download it, set it on medium graphics turn a lot of the options down or off and give it a whirl. If it works you can experiment with the settings. Oh and you do need at least 20 mbps Internet connection.

Keep us posted on how it goes. There are people using MSFS with less. You will be fine. Oh and there are those who claim that there is no hardware available yet that will allow us to take full advantage of every feature and still maintain at least 60 fps. :)

Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot: