Should I Get FS2020 Now or Wait?

Hi,

While planning to get the new Flight Sim by Christmas, I decided to see what third party addons especially aircraft might come available for the sim. One post strongly advised me to wait for some time before getting the sim because the it was "very buggy with CTD occurrences and other problems."

I realize nothing is perfect and I hear the new sim has frequent updates to take care of any problems but is this good advice or just one opinion with an otherwise stable sim. Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,

I have been running MSFS for months now (I got it when it first came out), and it has worked fine fer me. I have found two or three significant airports that are missing, a very rare elevation error, things I would call a minor annoyance, but none of the "problems" others have complained about. The program is very different than the FS2000-FSX versions you might be familiar with, and as such, there is a steep learning curve in how most things operate. There is no manual that comes with the program, although one is available for a fee from this site. You may need to watch videos to understand how things like the autopilot work in the new version (it is very different!!).

In general, if you have a reasonably potent computer (I5-8600 or better) and (GTX 1080 or GTX 1660 super or better), you should be able to enjoy the new sim reasonably trouble free if you have an SSD or M.2, a strong internet connection (>24 MB/s), and you don't try to do difficult things like running multiple monitors. I strongly urge you to keep the installation simple at this point.

If you have a marginal computer, or a weak internet connection, this may not be the product you will enjoy! Many of the "issues" are a result of folks doing things that cause the problems, such as trying to run settings too high for their equipment, or using multiple control devices which conflict. It is very important to properly calibrate your controllers!!

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Many people have been enjoying the sim just fine, and others have had troubles. What type of flying do you like to do? Are you looking to use a PMDG, or equivalent, aircraft? The included aircraft are better modelled than the default aircraft in FSX were, but are not at the same level as PMDG either. The more detailed add-on aircraft likely won't be released for at least another year. And as mentioned above, there is no included manual, which is probably one of the biggest mistakes with the sim. There are lots of threads here and elsewhere, as well as plenty of YouTube videos, though.

I can't see why a new user should have any concern about addons. You could spend years mastering the gear that comes with the $69.00 package. It comes with a Pitts special and a 747 and a bunch of planes in between those, it even has the latest model of a Cessna Citation. Yikes, what more does anyone need?
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

I can't see why a new user should have any concern about addons. You could spend years mastering the gear that comes with the $69.00 package. It comes with a Pitts special and a 747 and a bunch of planes in between those, it even has the latest model of a Cessna Citation. Yikes, what more does anyone need?

That depends on the user and what they like to fly. Those looking for the in depth aircraft that PMDG and the like produce won't get that quite yet, and others that want to fly classic airlines also don't yet have the same options, if any, as other sims currently do. And for yet others, it isn't about any specific aircraft as long as there is something available in their favourite category. Everyone uses the sim in different ways, so what works for you may not work for others.

So you're advising some people to hold off on spending $69.00 because nobody has yet created an perfectly detailed Lockheed Electra or something like that?

When that Electra arrives they'll have a pretty steep learning curve IMO.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Hi,

While planning to get the new Flight Sim by Christmas, I decided to see what third party addons especially aircraft might come available for the sim. One post strongly advised me to wait for some time before getting the sim because the it was "very buggy with CTD occurrences and other problems."

I realize nothing is perfect and I hear the new sim has frequent updates to take care of any problems but is this good advice or just one opinion with an otherwise stable sim. Thanks, Tom

I've been gaming for over 40 years and can't think of a game release I've ever wanted to stay away from more than MSFS.

That's a "maybe best to wait" from me! lol

Mark Daniels

“That's a maybe best to wait from me!” - You surprise me Mark LOL :)

I would say.. if you’re unsure.. sign up to the Xbox game pass for £1 (or $1) and try it for yourself.

You will then have a month to play with it for virtually free. After month you can cancel the game pass then either buy it or not.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

“That's a maybe best to wait from me!” - You surprise me Mark LOL :)

I would say.. if you’re unsure.. sign up to the Xbox game pass for £1 (or $1) and try it for yourself.

You will then have a month to play with it for virtually free. After month you can cancel the game pass then either buy it or not.

Regards

Steve

No! I wouldn't even trust attempting to put it on my system! Sorry, I'm very sure.

Mark Daniels

The Japan Update came...then the USA (My country) update came. I was MIND BLOWN and started thinking, I could recommend this game to a friend. UK is the next highly anticipated update, and who's next?

This game could encourage students to learn Geology and Social Studies. Wish it was around when I was in school.

Downsides - CANNOT stand generic airlines at the airports (Bo*er Killer). I will be happy to buy the first AI package that comes along as Asobo is too slow with real world airlines. Oh and where's my helicopter? Also took a flight up the US west coast and noticed broken areas where there was bare roadway and no AI road traffic. That needs to be fixed.

I only installed it once, and never had a crash to desktop. Guess it likes my mostly 7 year old computer.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

This just like me. As a covid lockdown project I remodelled the office, purchased top of the range Monitor, OS and control devices. ( at least as much as I could, everybody was at it it and most of the well reviewed items were sold out all over the place or had ridiculous prices ).

I was pretty confident that I would soon be proficient as I had used the FS X version many years ago.

BIG MISTAKE.

MS2020 is NOTHING like anything you have experienced before. Start again with the FSX version and learn your trade.

The Training is better, but the scenery is not so good. If you are learning how to fly, the only scenery you will be interested in is the hills!

MS20 is breathtaking, especially on my Samsung curved 49" monitor. However it is better to be prepared for some longer distance viewing otherwise your head will swivel off.

The next issue is probably the most serious at the start. Downloading.

Even at my high spec and half decent down load speed, you are looking at 112 Gb and 6 hours to get it on the machine. IN addition, that is not all of it. You have further options to load up a whole load more, but be patient and leave everything else for the time you are confident with the system. The latest updates that you are offered AND more are offered every time you log on, take up a really long time to load which does destroy the need to just get it on and start flying.

A third issue, at least for me, is the mysterious failure of a chosen situation or play to perform correctly. In the absence of a manual, (and this will be a MASSIVE excersise), the best advice I get from the experts on this forum, and it is the only one worth a light, is to reload the software.

WHAT!!!

Another 8 hours. But it works.

My advice is to familiarise your basic skills with FSX, avoid the training and dive into a few simple demonstrations of individual flights. They are beyond compare.

I believe that the management release of this application was rushed through for marketing reasons and the hope that we will all learn on the job. Now where have we all heard that before?

But I am now another junior newbie, so I can only say how my experience has been and I'm in my mid-eighties!

Instinct is the nose of the mind with the assistance of:-

AMD RYZEN 3 3600/16Gb RAM@1330Hz/ASROCK B450 Gaming K4/ATI RADEON RX 508/Samsung C49 RG9x and 953GbADATA Sx8200 SSD

Get a good computer and you will have very little issues, i am pretty satisfied with, it i got the standard edition. I just wish the default airports were better and more airliners available but that will come with time.
Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

I split the difference and got the mid-price version (not interested enough in the airplanes or airports of the highest price offering to warrant the expense.) Like MANY other 'new' PC games, this sim screams out for having a 'good' PC and quickly separates out those who don't meet the specs for running it above bare minimums.

Once I upgraded my graphics card beyond bare minimum and added a 1 TB M.2 SSD as primary drive, I have never had a CTD or any of the other horrors some have experienced. As others have said, MY earlier hardware limitations DID cause issues, but I have a relatively high speed internet connection and have been thoroughly enjoying the immersive sim experience this game DOES offer.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

A few more comments. As loki mentioned, if your main objective is to replicate complex airliners down to every switch, this isn't the best product. A caveat with Mark's comments. He is still running FS9 and he is a study level airliner advocate. The comment above about updates creating problems raises another important point. First, my strong suggestion is to ONLY install the product to the computer you intend to run it on for the foreseeable future. Don't try to build and upgrade the computer after you install, as this will create all sorts of problems. Don't decide to add a SSD and move the program. Only install the program if you have the computer you need to run it. I disagree with the advice to try it for a $1. Get a good computer with enough fast storage, install and leave it there!!!

Second, for most people, it will behoove you to refrain from adding addons at this point. If you are fastidious, and will remove and cleans your folders before each update, then addons will work fine. If you are not, then you are almost certain to have problems after each update.

BTW, as to download time, mine took about 4 hours, but my internet speed is 78 MB/s.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

So you're advising some people to hold off on spending $69.00 because nobody has yet created an perfectly detailed Lockheed Electra or something like that?

When that Electra arrives they'll have a pretty steep learning curve IMO.

You have completely missed the point of my posts. If that is what they want to fly, then maybe they would want to wait a while until the aircraft they really enjoy are available. My answer is intended to inform them of the current state of the sim and add-ons so they can decide for themselves. They could also get it now and fly something else until the aircraft they want come out. At least they will be able to make an informed decision rather than possibly be disappointed.

I've been gaming for over 40 years and can't think of a game release I've ever wanted to stay away from more than MSFS.

That's a "maybe best to wait" from me! lol

This from the Troller-in-Chief, who reminds us all every day how much he despises MSFS (and hangs around the MSFS forums just for that purpose). Pay no attention. This is a great sim that has revolutionized flight simming and, notwithstanding some bugs which are being fixed, is a ton of fun to fly and explore every corner of the world! Go for it!

The current state of the sim is that it is perfectly flyable with a lot of planes of different types. piston, piston twin, turbo, turbo twin, a state of the art biz jet and two airliners. These aircraft are all 99.9% complete and accurate with their control panels, flight directors, autopilots, radar and radios functional.

The aircraft behave as real airplanes do, you can slip to bleed off energy and if you bleed off too much energy you can enjoy the sensation of a stall / spin into the ground, - just as in a real plane.

All the alternatives have aircraft on rails with cardboard scenery and have no chance of ever being anything else, while FS2020 is obviously going to be the standard for PC based flight simulators into the future (unless Google or Apple decide to join the market).

The idea of someone needing one special type of aircraft before they would be interested in a flight simulator sounds like a red herring to me. Maybe there is an ex-airline pilot out there who won't bother with a simulator until it has the exact type of 727 he used to fly, but those kind would be one out of a hundred thousand; the OP for this thread certainly isn't one of those. The op is a guy who was interested but was told to wait by a naysayer who most probably doesn't even know how to fly a plane: real or sim.

This is a FS2020 forum isn't it? Shouldn't diehard FSX players stick to their own forum instead of bad mouthing FS2020 here?

This from the Troller-in-Chief, who reminds us all every day how much he despises MSFS (and hangs around the MSFS forums just for that purpose). Pay no attention. This is a great sim that has revolutionized flight simming and, notwithstanding some bugs which are being fixed, is a ton of fun to fly and explore every corner of the world! Go for it!

This is one of the people FS forums are famous for. When someone asks a question as you did for an opinion with two possible answers, he does not understand there actually is another answer besides the one he has chosen. When you choose the wrong answer of the two possible answers as I have, he gets angry. lol

Mark Daniels

The idea of someone needing one special type of aircraft before they would be interested in a flight simulator sounds like a red herring to me. Maybe there is an ex-airline pilot out there who won't bother with a simulator until it has the exact type of 727 he used to fly, but those kind would be one out of a hundred thousand; the OP for this thread certainly isn't one of those. The op is a guy who was interested but was told to wait by a naysayer who most probably doesn't even know how to fly a plane: real or sim.

The very first sentence in the OP's post mentions looking at what add-ons are available, suggesting it might be important to them. Hence my answer talking about add-ons. Whether or not the included aircraft are enough is up to them, not you or I.

This is one of the people FS forums are famous for. When someone asks a question as you did for an opinion with two possible answers, he does not understand there actually is another answer besides the one he has chosen. When you choose the wrong answer of the two possible answers as I have, he gets angry. lol

Oh, I think you are much more famous than I am. What really makes me angry, is when someone like yourself uses a tragedy such as the Titanic sinking with 1400 drowned, including children who were trapped in steerage, as a source of humor. I guess this is just a case of my not appreciating that there is "another answer". Well, that would certainly be true. I plead guilty.

Uh-Oh... Thread lock incoming :rolleyes:
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro