your comments would be appreciated with my fs2020 not launching

excuse my lack of understanding of technical terms but my computer knowledge is basic

the last time I was able to launch the sim I attempted to load a scenario I had saved and the sim crashed to desktop, when I tried to launch the sim following the “checking for update screen” I just got a thin very slow moving blue line across the screen which stopped after about 80%

I read forum comments and Zendesk support suggesting I delete contents in my Community Packages but find nothing in it and understand this folder is for downloaded liveries etc which I don’t have the only additional things I have downloaded are about six aircraft from the content manager which is part of the premier deluxe pack that I purchased

I don’t want to uninstall the sim and reinstall as with my Internet speed a 121gb download takes 22hours!

can I ask if I download the latest patch the USA improvement is it likely to solve my problem, I understand it is a 9gb download which would take me 4 hours to download

I have a new computer built to run the sim and is in excess of the minimum requirements with windows 10 64 bit, with all the latest windows updates, and always run the sim as administrator

if I have to uninstall and reinstall so be it but I don’t have the confidence in the sim that it will crash again and just waste my time

welcome any help in getting me back in the air. thanks

If you can get it to do the update I would do that. It seems your only other choice is to start from square one.

It takes me two days to download the whole thing. My internet connection is 6 gigabyte according to download tests, but the MSFS download speed is just short of 800kb. So don't feel bad about 22 hours.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Have you tried running it not as an administrator?

Also you could try repairing it first, before going down the reinstall route.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

thanks sfojimbo and g7rta for your replies

I was thinking in investing a faster internet connection but as Microsoft store are throttling things at their end have decided against that, I also feel better about my 22hour download it puts it into a bit more perspective

I will try also the repair option before I download the latest updates from Microsoft

much appreciate the help

silhill ron

My Internet connection is 500Mbs. I had to re-install earlier this week, took about an hour and quarter to download everything. MS was not slowing the D/L. At times I was getting 300Mbs. When the install program decompresses files the Mbs slows to as low as 8Kbs. That Mbs speed is an Average over a couple minutes not actual

I'd do a little investigating before such drastic action. For example what additions have you made in your Community folder. I had a similar 'won't load' scenario. Make a copy of your Community folder and it's contents. Then delete everything inside your real Community folder and check if the sim loads.

If it does then add the contents of the copy Community folder back into your live Community folder one at a time until it fails to load again. Then remove the latest file you moved in - you should be good to go without any files that corrupt MSFS2020.

If the sim fails to load even with an empty Community folder then you have my sim-pathey a reload it is!

ben252

thanks for showing an interest in my issue

with my basic computing skills I have followed the path to my community folder and can find nothing in it

I took the plunge last night and uninstalled the flight sim , searched to ensure all flight sim files were uninstalled and started the reinstall

I have a new computer built in excess of minimum requirements the sim specifies, and my first task before playing the sim will be to tweak the general settings to hopefully avoid crash to desktop scenario

thanks. silhill ron

I don't think CTDs are really a function of settings. I don't have them, and I have the settings turned up fairly high. I suspect the CTDs are caused either by addons that are problematic, or controllers that create conflicts. I don't have any mods or addons. My controller is a Thrustmaster recognized by the sim. I don't have a yoke or pedals. The simplicity may be the reason I don't have crashes at this point.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Stehle

thanks for reply uninstalled and reinstalled the other day (26hours ouch!) the sim launched ok and I only had the chance (late night) to tweak settings to avoid possible crashes, hope everything springs into life next time I try it

plainsman

thanks for reply, I don’t have any addons, I have a ten year old Logitech attack 3 joystick which shows in the sim but I am unable to allocate functions for it

I am trying to get a 64 bit driver for it as I read somewhere that’s what I need for compatibility but can’t find

I prefer to buy a new joystick like a thrustmaster to avoid any conflicts but can’t get joysticks / yokes for love nor money

silhill ron

I understand a hardware mismatch could cause problems. Have you thought about ordering a joystick from an online source like Newegg. I just checked, and Newegg does have Thrustmasters in stock. The prices have gone up in the last two years!!

My response was to note that CTDs don't seem to result from having grass set to ultra or photogrammetry turned on. I don't use AI generated traffic so that could be an issue??

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU