Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS9 Myth Busting - Stutters!

Default FS9 Myth Busting - Stutters!

I'm incredibly happy with the state of my FS9. It's running and looking great except for one thing...stutters!

I've never really made a specific attempt to find the cause of stutters other than do all the known things to prevent them. Even after doing this, they are still there!

Last week I decided stutters are bothering me too much. Once and for all I needed to find the cause to hopefully get rid of them permanently.

Well, it took all of 15 minutes.
    What causes stutters? FSUIPC causes stutters!

After finding FSUIPC to be the cause, I searched for any forum threads on this. There are a handful of results but any such suggestions appear to have been brushed off as something else causing the stutters. Well, it's not something else, it's FSUIPC!

I've now tested across both Win 10 and Win 7 on 2 separate systems. I've tested old FSUIPC versions and the last/latest available version for FS9. I've tested registered and non registered versions to be certain specific FSUIPC settings may not contribute to stutters.
    I also tested the latest non registered version in FSX, same result! Stutters! I don't have P3D to test but it is highly, highly likely it will suffer the same problem and some forum threads indicate this. Even MSFS may possibly suffer the same problem.

Test FSUIPC yourself and confirm what I am claiming. If we get some comfirmations, I will happily email the developer (Pete Dowson) to see if he would take a look at it to resolve the problem.

If it was brought to his attention, I'm certain he will want to fix it. Whatever the problem is, it's likely to be the identical problem requiring the identical fix in all FSUIPC's versions for the various sims. It should not be difficult to release a fixed FSUIPC version for all the sims be they still supported or not.

Here is a simple way to test your FSUIPC:

First, remove it from your sim. You can easily do this by selecting all the files that begin with FSUIPC in your modules folder.
    Once selected, right click and select "Send to" and then "Compressed (zipped) folder"
    Name your created zip "FSUIPC Backup" or something similar.
    Now delete all the FSUIPC files you originally selected to remove it from your FS9 installation.

The zip can stay in your modules folder. You can use it as a permanent backup to install FSUIPC in the future. There is no need to use the FSUIPC installer again. All your custom FSUIPC settings and registration is also contained within the zip.

Once you have removed FSUIPC you are ready to test.
    Set FS9 to a locked 30fps. (Important!)
    Don't run any other programs you may normally run with FS9 (eg weather programs) during testing.
    Load up a standard default KSEA flight from the active runway using cockpit view either 2D or VC.
    The only thing you need to change is the time of day so you have daylight. Everything else stays default.

Take off in the 172. You only need to get literally in the air 700-800 feet or so.
    Start a right hand bank and hold it between 30-40 degrees.
    Just keep that horizon spinning past, your bad flying doesn't matter.
    Watch the horizon carefully for stutters as you circle.

The horizon should remain silky smooth as you make 360 turns in the sky.
    If it is not, there are other issues with your FS9 causing the stutters or you are stressing your hardware.
    Try turning your FS settings right down and/or disable scenery till you have a perfectly smooth FS.
    Complete the test to verify your FS is silky smooth.

Now extract your FSUIPC zip files back in to the modules folder to renable FSUIPC.
    Run the same test again and watch the horizon during your banks.
    It should become quite clear FSUIPC has introduced stutters.

Those who know their FS well should easily see differences with and without FSUIPC in other situations.
    For example, I can go to a high end airport in the iFly 737, load up masses of traffic, put on heavy weather etc.
    I can just leave the 737 sitting at the gate and go to outside view and pan around.
    With FSUIPC installed, I'll get stutters.
    Without FSUIPC installed, everything is silky smooth even in the toughest running situations as outlined above.

Try different situations on your system with and without FSUIPC and note the difference in any stutters.
    You could run a default FS9 and it will run smooth. Introduce FSUIPC and your default FS9 will now stutter.

A user fix:
    I have spent only a short period of time messing with this but it appears you can resolve the issue by setting unlimited fps in FS9.
    The problem is, this only seems to work ok while your fps holds above around 60 fps or so. Anything lower and you will again get stutters.
    To maintain 60fps in FS9 under all situations, running the most intense types of add-ons, I estimate you need somewhere around a 5GHz CPU for FS9!
    For FSX or P3D you have no hope of curing anything.

Unfortunately, FSUIPC is the one FS add-on the vast majority of us absolutely must have so it's not a case of uninstalling and not using it. Many of our other add-ons require FSUIPC to function.

We really need a fix for this as it is a major downer for all flight simmers who use FSUIPC.

I'm running high end aircraft, custom textures for everything in my FS9, have close to 600 scenery config entries at the moment, I run all the WOAI airline packages, I run several other types of add-ons. Once you fix any stutter issues with individual add-ons everything is blissfully smooth. Add FSUIPC and there goes all the bliss!

Let's try and get a smooth FS. Post your results!
    Mark Daniels

Very interesting, something I will try. Well found!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Mark,
    What I don't see you mention is your system specs and what you have running in the background when you fire up FS9. While some people may have very similar, or even the same system specs, they may have different programs/apps running, and different AV suites running, etc. All of these factors can, I didn't say "are", I said "can" introduce variables that will differ from system to system.
    Is your AV interrogating FSUIPC in any way while FS9 is active?

My old Win7 gaming machine (10 years old when it went RIP) system was pretty capable, overall, of playing FS9 with almost no stutters, and reasonable FS. My FS9 - there is nothing "default" about it, so it is all aftermarket from the ground up.
    My new WIN10 gaming machine, not considered today's cutting edge: i5 10400F 2.9ghz; 16gb ram; GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6gig - handles FS9 with high FPS and absolute smooth as silk performance no matter what plane, airport, or part of the globe I am flying, and no matter the view I am enjoying. I'm just not seeing any stutters. Not stating there is never a single stutter within a flying session, but when I am looking for them, I am not seeing them. And, I have FSUIPC fully configured (a registered version).

This said, I disconnect from the internet and shutdown my AV suite (Kaspersky Internet Security Suite) when I run MSFS or MSTS, so that may aid in alleviating some stutters.
    On my old Win7 system, I used to use AlacrityPC to shut down all programs and services to help gain more system resource, use the 4g gain patch, and all of that kind of stuff.
    On the new WIN10, no need - the performance in my sims do not suffer a bit, that I can see, with leaving everything running, sans the AV suite.

YMMV, of course.

Good luck in your quest though.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Qballbandit View Post
    high FPS and absolute smooth as silk performance no matter what plane, airport, or part of the globe I am flying, and no matter the view I am enjoying.
    Neil,

Run my 172 test.
    Remove FSUIPC, run the test, watch the horizon carefully and do at least a couple of 360 degree turns with the horizon moving rapidly.
    Then reinstall FSUIPC and do the test again.
    Mark Daniels

I'll just make it clear, running the first part of the 172 test without FSUIPC will remove any FS9 specific or system specific problems from the equation.
    You should see the horizon just pan on by with no stutters and no skips.
    If you get a stutter or a skip it is your system or your FS9 that is the problem.
    As I suggested, if this happens drop FS9 settings down and disable scenery to remove system or FS9 specific problems causing your stutters.
    Only when you can see you have zero stutters/skips without FSUIPC, then add FSUIPC and do the test again.
    FS9 must be run at 30fps. If you are running 60fps or unlimited during the test, it will give a completely false result.
    Last edited by Skywatcher12; 11-27-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    Mark Daniels

I am in no doubt whatsoever that FSUIPC causes stutters. For me it was aircraft specific. The Wilco B737 and LevelD 767 both caused me a lot of problems I could not figure out. At the suggestion of someone else I removed autosave and this helped a lot.

Having said that, using Windows 10, I also turned off Window security for FLT and WX files, fs9.exe and flight simulator files in documents. After this all stutters were gone, I was able to reactivate autosave and still everything was smooth. So, perhaps it is not FSUIPC that is the problem alone, but its interaction with Windows security.
    Worth a try,
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by durhambuilder View Post
    I am in no doubt whatsoever that FSUIPC causes stutters. For me it was aircraft specific. The Wilco B737 and LevelD 767 both caused me a lot of problems I could not figure out. At the suggestion of someone else I removed autosave and this helped a lot.

Having said that, using Windows 10, I also turned off Window security for FLT and WX files, fs9.exe and flight simulator files in documents. After this all stutters were gone, I was able to reactivate autosave and still everything was smooth. So, perhaps it is not FSUIPC that is the problem alone, but its interaction with Windows security.
    Worth a try,
    Geoff
    Geoff,

Please entertain me and run my 172 test.
    Mark Daniels

Geoff,
    Don’t just run FS9 with FSUIPC installed, do circles and skip the test part without FSUIPC. Do both parts, getting that horizon moving at a good rate for at least 2 360 degree turns without and with FSUIPC.

I havnt tested it yet as I'm about 55 installs away from catching up to where I wanna be. But tis makes sense and a quick google search has others in the past a little convinced FSUIPC causes some stutters.

Sometimes the sim can run smooth, or appear smooth, but a concentrated look one can see the micro stutters at times.

I just ran the test and sure enough there was a difference. With fsuipc I would see a 1fps drop, whereas without it held solid at 30.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast