World Update 3: UK

The latest Live Developer Q&A with ASOBO included an announcement that World Update 3 will be the UK, planned for release on January 26: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/discussion-live-developer-q-a-nov-2020/327047

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Tim, thanks for posting, I can’t wait. Wonder what improvement we’ll see

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I have the ORBX London Airport and Landmarks installed. Makes me wonder if ASOBO consults with scenery developers to avoid conflicts so they will co-exist together.

I contacted ORBX about my installed LOWI Airport after I saw ASOBO also updated their LOWI Airport. They recommended deleting (I'll probably just disable it) the ASOBO LOWI if there was a conflict, some say there are bumps in the runway.

Probably will have to do same for London.

I was going to get the Drzewiecki Design - Washington Landmarks but decided to wait until they updated the President. :) Now looks like with latest ASOBO Washington D.C update it doesn't even seem necessary.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I also wonder if they coordinate at all with developers? Until there's complete photogrammetry for the entire world I'm sure there will be plenty of room for third parties, but it could still be an issue if third party efforts get undercut by these world updates.

The bumps in the runway are not intrinsic to the airport, they are a function of insufficient data transfer rate, usually from a slow internet connection, slow ram speed, or use of a HD. This is particularly a problem in very dense scenery. If you have a fast computer with fast memory and a great internet connection, you won't see the "bumps".
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I wonder how complete the update will be for the UK. I have been designing UK piers (Ryde pier will be the next release) and I am now wondering if I am wasting my time. Asobo's version of Brighton pier is very good so if they are going to do more of them I think that I will hold off.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

It's tough on freeware developers and payware developers alike, but with around 250 UK free-ware scenery addons that i know about (thanks guys for all the efforts!) it's hard to see how a general update won't step on some people's toes. The sad thing is it will probably make freeware developers hold off until after the January update. The main thing I hope for from Asobo / M'soft is the broad base stuff than individuals can't do - like improving the scenery mesh. I'm not sure if they plan to improve the ai place buildings too?

One of the best updates they could do is sort the sea level out. I do a lot of flying around the northwest where there are some stunning beaches and texture variations when the tide is out, but in the sim, the coasts let it down. I spent many a year beach hopping in my microlights in real life but would drown in MSFS trying the same!
System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

Yeah, a few beaches and piers would be nice, along with some regional airport upgrades and cliffs without water running up the sides of them. It would also be nice to have some waves without turning the wind up to 40 knots.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Good point about the waves. I wonder if there is an XML file somewhere that can be altered to change the minimum wave size for a given wind speed
System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

I was going to get the Drzewiecki Design - Washington Landmarks but decided to wait until they updated the President. :) Now looks like with latest ASOBO Washington D.C update it doesn't even seem necessary.

Somebody on Flight Sim 2020 Forum did a comparison, and they said the Drzewiecki Washington DC Landmarks mod was more detailed than the new U.S. World update, and had more major landmark buildings (can't remember which ones now).

Their recommendation was that if you frequently fly low over Washington DC and are looking for as much eye candy as possible, the Drzewiecki mod was probably worth the investment, in particular if you are familiar with DC and are looking for specific structures. Drzewiecki has also dropped the price down to $10.99 now, so I picked it up the other day, but haven't flown over it yet. :pilot:

Originally the White House had no columns and the Washington Memorial looked like a glass office building :) Since it got updated, I'm happy with the default scenery.

Besides, until they update the package after January 20, 2021, I don't want it. Otherwise your MSFS will be subject to Squattergate! ;)

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Besides, until they update the package after January 20, 2021, I don't want it. Otherwise your MSFS will be subject to Squattergate! ;)

Along with you, the rest of us are just Biden our time LOL ;)

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

“Along with you, the rest of us are just Biden our time LOL“

Yes, very good Tim.

How long have you been waiting to use that one? :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

It feels like forever, but I'm just saying' what most others are thinking LOL.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

I also wonder if they coordinate at all with developers? Until there's complete photogrammetry for the entire world I'm sure there will be plenty of room for third parties, but it could still be an issue if third party efforts get undercut by these world updates.

I think this is an essential matter, one that seriously requires to be looked into.

In the meanwhile, could someone please let me know if add-on scenery does always override default scenery for the same area, or they are both shown simultaneously (i.e. they conflict), or that's something yo can select at will?

Thanks in advance, best regards.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

I watched a video on YouTube back in August, showing how the Orbx London landmarks addon replaced some of the default landmarks with awful looking ones.. so I guess addon scenery does overwrite default scenery.

Mind you.. it might be a case of the newest scenery replaces the old.. so the UK update in January might replace any UK addon scenery, but it’d be a case of reinstalling the addon?

ps. I understand Orbx corrected their landmarks addon, but I haven’t bought it so can’t confirm

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

...In the meanwhile, could someone please let me know if add-on scenery does always override default scenery for the same area, or they are both shown simultaneously (i.e. they conflict), or that's something yo can select at will?

Thanks in advance, best regards.

I posed this question (Under my alter ego Mach 2) at ORBX Forum...

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/202405-msfs-v11160-lowi-update-and-orbxs-addon/

FSX would prioritize scenery by being listed higher in the scenery.cfg, not sure how MSFS works. But sounds like they coexist together from what is said in the above thread. Maybe the replacement scenery can remove elements?

I posed this question (Under my alter ego Mach 2) at ORBX Forum...

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/202405-msfs-v11160-lowi-update-and-orbxs-addon/

FSX would prioritize scenery by being listed higher in the scenery.cfg, not sure how MSFS works. But sounds like they coexist together from what is said in the above thread. Maybe the replacement scenery can remove elements?

Ok, and what is your personal experience? (provided you've got LOWI installed or any other duplicity, of course.)

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

In my experience, any scenery or gauges mod in the Community folder automatically excludes the default scenery or gauges listed in the mod's layout.json file. I have several airport and aircraft mods installed without any of the Orbx LOWI runway bump issues.

Over at the flightsimulator.com forums, the runway bump issues have been discussed at length and they've found that this occurs at default airports if your internet speed is very low at the time you're at the airport or overall.

It's also possible that Orbx still haven't got to grips with their exclude polygons when porting over their sceneries from other sims, the default scenery shouldn't need to be uninstalled.

Ok, and what is your personal experience? (provided you've got LOWI installed or any other duplicity, of course.)

EDIT: Thank you Tiger, exclude polygons is the phrase I was thinking of.

LOWI - I ran all the way down the runway and there was a hump about 3/4 the way down. Since there are so many other places to fly, I'm not going to bother removing the default LOWI as suggested. Sounds like ORBX is talking to ASOBO about it and I think ORBX will just update whats necessary. I get ORBX through their Central app. One day soon there will probably be a update to download.

I got 150Mbps download speed, frankly don't understand why that would affect it. Unless you have Dial-up, I would think MSFS downloads the scenery before you touch down.

Edited by dogdish

In my experience, any scenery or gauges mod in the Community folder automatically excludes the default scenery or gauges listed in the mod's layout.json file.

Now that's illuminating, thank you very much.

Sounds like ORBX is talking to ASOBO about it and I think ORBX will just update whats necessary. I get ORBX through their Central app. One day soon there will probably be a update to download.

You lucky, that's another issue: so far I've always bought all my mods from the in-game Marketplace (whenever possible), and this one is proving to be maddeningly slow to introduce product updates.