Do I need 2 Joysticks ?

While I have MSFS installed and up and running , I still have FSX performing perfectly .

Should I have a dedicated controller , that is , a separate one for MSFS ?

I haven't yet configured the joystick for MSFS .

HP Gaming Desktop 790-00xx Windows 10

Intel® Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

RAM 16.0GB 64-bit Operating System x64-based processor.

Hi, if your current joystick works with MSFS then there’s no need to buy a second one. You can have any number of sims/games all using the same controller. You only play one game at a time (presumably :) ) so one is enough.

Of course you may want to get more advanced controller sometime... like a yoke..pedals.. throttle unit.. but that’s up to you. Many of us have such setups.

I would try your current joystick first though & see if you can set it up ok.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I had very bad luck with an old Microsoft Sidewinder, and am doing great with a Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas 1 ($80), as far as automatic button assignments, gain (sensitivity) adjustments, with the exception that it seems to decouple at times and I have to disconnect the USB or reboot ...

Bought Micro Center Power Spec 434: I79700K, Zotac NVidia RTX 2070 Super Mini, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, (added a second 1 TB SSD), CPU cooler/lights, 27 inch curved AOC C27G1 monitor (have 2011 Alienware M17X-R3 laptop with FSX and lots of 3rd party scenery installed).

If you want more realism, you need a yoke for Boeing (and others) and a joystick for Airbus (and others).
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I think what I really meant was , if I configure the joystick to the MSFS commands , will the joystick retain the FSX commands when I choose to fly FSX ? Or do I have to reset ?

HP Gaming Desktop 790-00xx Windows 10

Intel® Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

RAM 16.0GB 64-bit Operating System x64-based processor.

When you setup the controls, it’s the simulator that remembers (saves/loads) the settings, not the joystick.

You can have a dozen flight sims, all with different commands, all using the same joystick. Hope this makes sense.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

In FSX the joystick responses are part of the sim settings, not part of the joystick and its software. So I'd expect you'd have to set responses separately in the new sim and each sim should keep its own settings.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

You’re welcome.

Hopefully you won’t have any problems setting up your current joystick with MSFS, as there is a shortage on controllers at the moment.

Happy flying :)

Regards

Steve