Default Mooney Nav Lights

scott_295

I've been flying the Mooney a lot, lately and I love it. There's just one problem: the uber bright "spot light" on the tail. I checked the lights section in the aircraft.cfg file and there isn't even one assigned to that position. There should be one aft of the beacon but there isn't. And, yet, when I go into spot view, there is it. No other plane is like this... at least, that I'm aware of.

Anyone know how I can modify this light so it isn't so bright?

If the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... hee hee. Oh, you ought to see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a 52 - vrooom! Ha! Its jet exhaust frying chickens in the barnyard! Ha ha! - Gen Buck Turgidson

I have no such light on the tail. Are you using a default livery? If not, have you tried one of those?

I'm pretty certain it's a default livery. It's the one that's "white with blue".

If it is a default, where in God's name did that light come from?

If the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... hee hee. Oh, you ought to see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a 52 - vrooom! Ha! Its jet exhaust frying chickens in the barnyard! Ha ha! - Gen Buck Turgidson

I'm pretty certain it's a default livery. It's the one that's "white with blue".

Any chance you can [ost a screenshot? Do any other liveries have that light? White light like a tail strobe light? Blinking or non blinking?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The default White & Blue & the White & Black have the white light on the tail under the rudder.

John

KFRG

New York

Hey there Tom,

That's strange. My default Mooney's tail light is also very bright, white and large, completely different to the correct looking one in your screen pic. Not only that but my Mooney has no landing lights, like your's does seem to have, either.

If I temporarily de-activate all lights in my Mooney's aircraft.cfg's [Lights] section, the white tail light remains unchanged and can only be switched on/off via my keyboard "L" key and via my third party cockpit "Nav-lights" switch.

You are therefore correct in saying that this light is selected/positioned by the Mooney's model file, is not part of the aircraft.cfg [Lights] section and can therfore not be directly edited. Great pity.

However, I've been testing some other of my (addon and default) aircraft and it now seems that with quite some of them, different selections of their lights are also part of their model files but these at least all look and work normally.

Going back to the Mooney, the only thing I can now think of is that it's horrible looking tail light texture has at some time in the past automatically been edited or somehow redirected to another lights texture, most likely by an automatic installer program for another aircraft.

Can you think of any way of finding the offending lights texture itself because I must now hope that it's no longer one of those contained in the standard fx_2.bmp lights texture. However, if all fails then the only possibility as I see it now, will be to replace the Mooney's model file by the one from one of the installation CDs.

Regards

Hans

O.K. guys, I've found the culprit.

The horrible looking Mooney tail light is/was caused by a texture file by the name of: "Halo.bmp" and can be found in the main FS9 texture folder.

After quite some hours of trial and error testing by deleting/restoring large groups of main FS9 texture files with testing in between, suddenly the Mooney's tail light was no longer there. This rather quickly led to the above mentioned texture file as being the culprit.

I replaced it by a very old and very different version from one of my old backups and PRESTO. Problem solved !!

The tail light is still there but it now at least looks very much more realistic.

The problem was caused by my quite recently downloaded and installed new halo lighting effects, which in fact did look quite good here and there but which evidently also had some negative side effects of which this was one of them.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem(s).

Happy landings.

Hans

O.K. guys, I've found the culprit.

The horrible looking Mooney tail light is/was caused by a texture file by the name of: "Halo.bmp" and can be found in the main FS9 texture folder.

After quite some hours of trial and error testing by deleting/restoring large groups of main FS9 texture files with testing in between, suddenly the Mooney's tail light was no longer there. This rather quickly led to the above mentioned texture file as being the culprit.

I replaced it by a very old and very different version from one of my old backups and PRESTO. Problem solved !!

The tail light is still there but it now at least looks very much more realistic.

The problem was caused by my quite recently downloaded and installed new halo lighting effects, which in fact did look quite good here and there but which evidently also had some negative side effects of which this was one of them.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem(s).

Happy landings.

Hans

OMG. Thank you so much! My memory being what it is these days, I couldn't remember if this light was always so bright or what, but it didn't seem like I had this issue before. Good to know I'm not crazy.

Again, thanks..

Edited by scott_295

• 2 weeks later...
Scott,

I've sent you a private message about the Halo.bmp file problem.

Hans

Got it and replied. Thanks.

Hal