Thread: Flight simulator economy (campaign mode)

Default Flight simulator economy (campaign mode)

Ever heard of a flight sim eco game/app?

A flight sim eco (“flight simulator economy”) game/app, which is a fun way to add immersion and meaning to flight simulators like Flight Simulator 2020. It's like a campaign mode, but it's a separate gamified app that runs alongside a flight simulator and connects via a plugin. Notable apps in this genre are: OnAir, Air Hauler 2, and FSEconomy.

This genre has actually been around for years (maybe 10+ years). But, FSEconomy is extremely archaic now, Air Hauler 2 has an overly complex interface (some say unfinished), and OnAir has a poorly designed server architecture (slow page loads, downtime, etc).

I've been using OnAir for a few months and was totally addicted, but I found their customer support a little bit lacking, the screens very slow to load, and the 3 hours of weekly downtime was driving me nuts (they also banned me on Discord for criticising them on this issue). It's because they insist on using a slow monolithic TCP/IP server instead of speedy modern serverless pub/sub... their view on architecture is surprisingly old fashioned.

So, I decided to fund development of a competitor app and we're now in the user experience (UX) design stage. If you're interested in sharing your thoughts about how we should go about this, here's a few UX research questions: https://research.typeform.com/to/FIMkVF6Q

Well there is another one, Neofly, maybe you can talk to them and join the project instead of creating a new one.

Yes, I've heard a lot about NeoFly in the last few days. Do you know why OnAir is the front runner and not NeoFly?

Quote Originally Posted by nbolton View Post
    Yes, I've heard a lot about NeoFly in the last few days. Do you know why OnAir is the front runner and not NeoFly?
    i dont know if it is, OnAir is a commercial software with a monthly payment, Neofly is a one man show, its more simple and less restrictive, Neolord as been adding more features as they are asked by the community, https://discord.gg/Y3zZXPtU , and the developer team as been growing with time.

Survey results so far...

Name:  OnAir vs FSEconomy vs Air Hauler 2.PNG
Views: 559
Size:  22.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Neofly is the best without doubt. I've done a 4.5hr passenger and cargo flight from Russia to the UK in the Citation Cj4, and a 30 minute sightseeing flight in the Beech 58 to the Bon Scott (ACDC) statue near Dundee, among many, many other memorable flights. Highly Recommended, and FREE.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.28GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k Monitor, Windows 10 Pro x64

I actually have both OnAir and NeoFly installed. My son likes using Neo when he flies, whereas I prefer OnAir. I like the idea of the add on utilities as it just makes the flying experience for me more enjoyable. I use the B350 as my main fly around ride and use the AI to rack up the cargo miles. My only wish is I could figure out how to set regular passenger routes instead of the hodge podge charter route.