Same here. I bought the Premium Edition from Steam and it downloaded without a glitch. It took a long time even though I have a 1 Gig fiber at my house. But I do recall some people on Steam complaining that some of the add on they paid for did not get installed. MS fixed the issue later, at least on Steam.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of my grandma years ago, who hated her new electric stove and insisted the food cooked on her old coal stove tasted much better. Have fun with FS9 and other technologies from 20 years ago I assume you also are still using your Commodore 2000 computer (or maybe a Radio Shack Tandy). Great machines, those -- for their time.

Hey, I am 65 years old too and I remember playing my first MSFS on my Commodore "AMIGA 500" pc, and that thing was ahead of the times. I remember buying my first external SCSI hard drive for it: $750 for a 20 megabyte (yes, megabytes) drive!!!! and retracing the motherboard to squeeze a little more out of its SID chip. Times have changed and some people, believe it or not, are now complaining to developers because their new games are no longer compatible with Windows 7!

I originally signed up with XPass because I figured MSFS just looked too good to be true and since it was super cheap to try I figured why not. The install simply didn't work for me(Win 10 Pro). I have multiple drives, and the brain dead XPass installer implemented something Microsoft wished developers used but nobody does - assigning the category of a drive to be either a system or data drive(I forget the Microsoft terms). Long story short, it refused to let me install it where I wanted, and I didn't have enough room on my C:\ drive. It wasn't just MSFS - a number of games were like that. Forums all over were flooded with frustrated users that had whatever set of conditions I had. I just cancelled XPass, never to return, and bought it from Steam and it's been fine ever since(the slow rollout of updates aside). I since built a new system and I'm sure it would have worked fine with a new system install but I won't touch Windows Store/XPass again. Another frustration is if you didn't buy the super-deluxe version out of the gate, they penalize you by charging you more to upgrade than buy it. The business model at Microsoft just boggles my mind.

MSFS itself, though, is working fine.

Hi all,

Well, I'm 73, also a Windows 10 user, also an IT veteran and a long time flightsim user. Did not bother with Xbox or PlayStore at all, but bought my MSFS from Steam. No problem with the installation or with updates.

Edited by tvringen

Having great fun exploring the world in Flight Simulator 2020 (when time permits of course) :pilot:

Dominic

For me this is the biggest bug, as work always seems to get in the way of me enjoying the sim even more.... :D :D

i7-9700KF; RTX 2070 Super; Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, 32gb G Skill 3600;

2TB 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVme; 2TB 860 EVO SSD; 1TB 860 EVO SSD; Li 205 ATX Case; Windows 10 Pro x64

It is amazing how different people's experience has been. I purchased the Deluxe Premium version from Steam, and have had absolutely no problems other than the known bugs.

It could be that Steam follows a slightly different installation route than does Microsoft Store. Also, the differences in experiences could be based on what game version a user installed from.

My first install went better than my second install. And my first install was on the previous game version from the current game version, which was updated one day after my first install.

I am running from the MicroSoft Store and i have not had any significant problems. I just ran the update and it completed nicely.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

New MSFS 2020 update from Microsoft Store today.

It seemed to run ok. Can't fly till later today, so keeping my fingers crossed! :pilot:

And by the way, I'm not an MSFS 2020 basher...I want it to work. It is beautiful, and the 152 and 172 models are pretty good (the two planes I got my private pilot ticket in a long time ago IRL), and they brought back memories of those times.

Edited by bucksnort

GKKnupper,

Really unfortunate you are having problems (of some sort). Fortunately you didn't have to pay tons of money to get it, and can go back to your other sims you enjoy.

In the meantime, this "masochist" (you really shouldn't label folks too freely) is going back to do some more beautiful bush flying! My only challenge is to decide where...Patagonia, Australia, Africa, Asia, or the US. Guess it depends on what the weather is.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you could use it.

BTW, I spent 42 years in the simulator training world where we made do with what we had and worked hard to make it better.

Edited by g8tr

"EVERYTHING is broken in MSFS. Literally EVERYTHING does not work properly."

Mark, Then how do you explain those of us that are able to fly where we want, to navigate to the appropriate destination, to cruise at correct speeds, to enjoy fabulous scenery, to enjoy polished aircraft visuals, and to capture scenic details

So you are telling me:

Aircraft need no further patching?

AI need no further patching?

ATC needs no further patching?

Real weather needs no further patching?

Navigation needs no further patching?

Scenery needs no further patching?

Log book needs no further patching?

This is off the top of my head. Regarding CTD's, just because some users have no issues does not mean the software is not flawed. There are enough people who have CTD's they can clearly be attributed to the MSFS software.

My expectation is for all those questions to be answered with a no. I'm not interested in a Bing maps simulator, I want a flight simulator. It's sad to see the acceptance of eye candy over solid software across games these days. I do want a new flight sim as much as anyone else but I don't fit in with the "I'll accept anything" crowd.

As the OP has said, MSFS is a pile of junk.

And cobalt, I always look forward to reading your posts. lol

Mark Daniels

It's debatable if this opportunity will ever come to test the theory because you won't see PMDG attempt to develop for something like MSFS in it's current state and I really doubt MSFS will ever be close to reasonably bug free. If I was to bet money, I would take the good odds you would get right now and place money that MSFS will never see a PMDG aircraft.

Edit: I should say on the PC MSFS version btw. You may see a PMDG aircraft on the Xbox MSFS. You heard the suggestion here first! lol

Interesting hypothesis given that PMDG has been quite open about already developing for MSFS. Mr. Randazzo also seems impressed with the effort Asobo is putting into updating the SDK to allow them to fully develop their aircraft.

https://www.thresholdx.net/news/pmdg73

Interesting hypothesis given that PMDG has been quite open about already developing for MSFS. Mr. Randazzo also seems impressed with the effort Asobo is putting into updating the SDK to allow them to fully develop their aircraft.

https://www.thresholdx.net/news/pmdg73

Note it is stated, "all subject to change"

I'll go with that! lol

Mark Daniels

"So you are telling me:

Aircraft need no further patching?

AI need no further patching?

ATC needs no further patching?

Real weather needs no further patching?

Navigation needs no further patching?

Scenery needs no further patching?

Log book needs no further patching?"

The log book isn't my priority, IDK?

Scenery looks superb to me. Yes

Navigation needs more work but you can navigate to a destination effectively now.

I don't use real weather??

ATC is very poor, I give you that!!

AI seems acceptable now, for what I use it, to fly while I take a screen shot. It could be better if you want it to fly accurately, but it does function.

The GA aircraft are very good. The airliners look nice, but they are surely not "study level". I don't flip AC switches, so isn't a big deal for me.

I am able to fly to places I want to go. That says everything isn't broken!

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I am able to fly to places I want to go. That says everything isn't broken!

There might be a Dora the Explorer plane game that will do that too.

However, Dora wouldn't be a replacement or even a complimentary sim for my FS9.

All comes down to what you are willing to accept.

Mark Daniels

This is the ONLY simulator I have tried (I have not tried P3D V5 or V5.1), that leaves me feeling like I am actually in that location. That is the thing I can't endure when i go back to FSX or X-Plane 11.5. I love the selection of aircraft in FSX, but it feels like I am flying in a cartoon now. X-Plane 11.5 feels a little better, but you still don't get the feeling you are there, the terrain doesn't really look right, and the aircraft are very inconsistent, some very good works, some very unpleasant!! I can live with lousy ATC!

This is the ONLY simulator I have tried (I have not tried P3D V5 or V5.1), that leaves me feeling like I am actually in that location.

Here is the difference between us. I want the feeling I am flying a real aircraft. It is a flight simulator after all.

A good quality airport in FS9 gives me all the visual immersion I am looking for and FS9 fills all the other needs of a flight sim.

Each to their own but you are clearly putting visuals above all else and visuals alone you must admit does not make a flight simulator. MSFS is lacking in every other area.

Edit: Should also state I don't like the MSFS visuals. The clouds are horrendous imo. I would likely turn them off permanently. I know most people don't see they are blurry or the color and contrast problems. Some users certainly did pre-release and I imagine you don't see comments from them after release because they have not purchased MSFS.

The ground scenery is just pictures and there are major drawbacks using this method. I went over it in detail at AVSIM. Explained to people how it all worked and what to expect. Told I had no idea what I was talking about and post release what I was suggesting is there exactly as I explained and suggested. Everything I said was correct and complaints like the overexposed threads that were here not long ago are complaints regarding the same restrictions in MSFS I outlined over at AVSIM.

Sorry, I am just so unimpressed with MSFS and the only reason I come here is I would like to find a way to like it. It's just not possible.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Here is the difference between us. I want the feeling I am flying a real aircraft. It is a flight simulator after all.

A good quality airport in FS9 gives me all the visual immersion I am looking for and FS9 fills all the other needs of a flight sim.

Each to their own but you are clearly putting visuals above all else and visuals alone you must admit does not make a flight simulator. MSFS is lacking in every other area.

MSFS is not just about "visuals". With its advanced flight modeling, weather, and ultra-realistic scenery, it provides absolutely the closest feeling to real flight of I have felt outside of a real-life cockpit. No other sim is even close, and I have seen enough posts here and elsewhere to tell me that I have plenty of company.

What intrigues me about your argument is that your favorite sim is -- of all things -- FS9, a 20 year old relic that was great in its day but was rendered technologically obsolete by FSX, and that was 14 years ago! To me this is is hard to fathom, especially as I well remember FS9 and its pixellated ground terrain, among other now-quaint features. Clearly you and I have very different needs -- indeed so different that I see no way to bridge the gap. It is like my grandma and her beloved coal stove (see above). Bless her heart, and bless yours as well! Carry on and enjoy FS9. I will do likewise with MSFS. Peace.

MSFS is not just about "visuals". With its advanced flight modeling, weather, and ultra-realistic scenery, it provides absolutely the closest feeling to real flight of I have felt outside of a real-life cockpit. No other sim is even close, and I have seen enough posts here and elsewhere to tell me that I have plenty of company.

What intrigues me about your argument is that your favorite sim is -- of all things -- FS9, a 20 year old relic that was great in its day but was rendered technologically obsolete by FSX, and that was 14 years ago! To me this is is hard to fathom, especially as I well remember FS9 and its pixellated ground terrain, among other now-quaint features. Clearly you and I have very different needs -- indeed so different that I see no way to bridge the gap. It is like my grandma and her beloved coal stove (see above). Bless her heart, and bless yours as well! Carry on and enjoy FS9. I will do likewise with MSFS. Peace.

And I bet you haven't used FS9 in at least 10 years? That's the problem, you need to use it with some of the newer content. It makes all the difference.

Anyhow, let's not get in a sim war and yes, as you please and peace.

Mark Daniels

Just grabbed ORBX San Jose Airport.

Airport good, was MIND BLOWN by the default MSFS scenery! Wish there were markers for all the Silicon Valley Tech companies!

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

And I bet you haven't used FS9 in at least 10 years? That's the problem, you need to use it with some of the newer content. It makes all the difference.

Anyhow, let's not get in a sim war and yes, as you please and peace.

It's been 14 years -- I dropped FS9 as soon as FSX came out. No interest whatever in going back to either one.

Everybody is looking for "immersion". I can't think of anything being more important to immersion than the environment in which you are flying, i.e. the cockpit and outside scenery. The realism of the handling of the aircraft certainly is important, but probably only to those who have real piloting experience. The scenery in MSFS trumps all other flight sims, and many of the planes and cockpit are on par.