Speed button with King Air 350i

Hi everyone,

FS2020's King Air 350i -- one of my favorite aircraft to fly -- has a speed button in it.

I don't understand how that works or what it does. I can dial it to increase or to decrease the speed, but I don't see how to activate the choice I make. Is this supposed to be an auto-throttle?

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

Hi everyone,

FS2020's King Air 350i -- one of my favorite aircraft to fly -- has a speed button in it.

I don't understand how that works or what it does. I can dial it to increase or to decrease the speed, but I don't see how to activate the choice I make. Is this supposed to be an auto-throttle?

Thank you.

Stanley

Holding current speed, if the sim is working as it should be. Depends on your patch level.

Hi Stanley, glad you're enjoying the King Air which is one of my favourites too.

The Speed setting can be used along with the FLC or Flight Level Change mode during climb or descent, it won't work with any other mode. There's a great King Air checkride video here:

you may want to fast forward a few minutes to the actual startup sequence and watch the taxi, take off and climb to cruise level parts.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the reference to the YouTube video. I watched it all the way through, but I didn't see where he talked about either the FLC or the speed setting. Maybe I missed it.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

Hi Stanley, sorry this guy is using VS mode instead of FLC mode. I checked a few other videos of the King Air, and they all do the same! I use VS mode myself because it's more predictable than FLC, but FLC is supposed to work like this:

After engaging FD, NAV and AP, select the climb speed with the Speed knob and then select FLC.

The autopilot will now adjust the climb rate to maintain the selected speed. The same applies when descending.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64