Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No Scenery

Hi Richard,

I hope all is working. Sometimes, we tend to over analyze, & end up with analysis paralysis, often the easiest way is better.
    Anyway, give a shoutout if you get stuck, or if there are any issues.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Robin,
    If I were to download VFR Terrain and scenery should I let it install where it suggest or install it into c:/?
    I went through the motions and let it install where it suggested and whether it be right or wrong I don't know, I copied and pasted into c:/, then used the registry repair tool, at that stage the pc chuntered on a bit then froze. I tried various ways to try and start the pc even using safe mode and got nowhere. At this stage I thought I had really messed up something so I decided to reinstall windows 7 then fs9.
    This a dedicated pc initially for fs9 so thought I wanted it right to continue and at the moment it is doing a windows update for the last 2.5 hours and hopefully when sorted I would like to install the scenery and terrain. I would appreciate your comments on the best way to continue.

Richard

I would have installed it into a 'dummy' folder, then moved it into Fs2004.
    The Registry Repair tool is only for FS2004, telling the registry where the FS9.exe is situated.
    The VFR scenery should not have crashed the PC. That's an odd one.

Once you have installed FS2004, and added stuff to it.. basic favourite aircraft & scenery, not complicated stuff, Copy & Paste the whole folder to a portable drive. That way, you have a good backup, should you ever need to reinstall. Just copy & paste the backup, instead of a complete reinstall. It works perfectly.

Further to that, I'm not sure how I can help with the VFR scenery. What you have done seems ok, in installing it into C:.
    Also, any scenery can be installed out of the sim folder, You would then go into the scenery library as usual, & point it to any external folder where scenery is. This helps with multiple installs, as scenery then does not have to be duplicated.

Phew, I hope that explains.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Robin

Once again many thanks for the detailed reply.
    I'll try and not mess it up this time.

Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2