Joystick Control Resetting On Exit

c.r36156636

Hi all, I have probably missed a thread on here already covering this so sorry if I have, but I have been racking my brain to try and figure out how to stop FSX reassigning my joystick controls when the sim exits.

I have removed all button commands for my Joystick(s) with in the default FSX control settings as I use FSUIPC. How ever when I fly my Aerosoft A320, 50% of the time the sim crashes on exit which is known to happen. When I load the sim again the next time, the FSX controls are all reassigned to the default state meaning I have to go though and remove them all again. Which then conflicts with commands sent via FSUIPC.

I've seen a thread with something similar to this but was not sure if it was referring to this kind of issue. If someone can please offer me some assistance with stopping this from happening, id really appreciate it, Many Thanks !

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8-4.4GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz RAM, 1TB Kingston NV1 SSD, 1TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD, 240GB Maxtor Z1 2.5" SSD, MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT.

Hi all, I have probably missed a thread on here already covering this so sorry if I have, but I have been racking my brain to try and figure out how to stop FSX reassigning my joystick controls when the sim exits.

I have removed all button commands for my Joystick(s) with in the default FSX control settings as I use FSUIPC. How ever when I fly my Aerosoft A320, 50% of the time the sim crashes on exit which is known to happen. When I load the sim again the next time, the FSX controls are all reassigned to the default state meaning I have to go though and remove them all again. Which then conflicts with commands sent via FSUIPC.

I've seen a thread with something similar to this but was not sure if it was referring to this kind of issue. If someone can please offer me some assistance with stopping this from happening, id really appreciate it, Many Thanks !

Save them outside of the sim, then they can be copied back.

Use the option to name the file something memorable.

Simples!

Question: Have you exited the sim cleanly after making the assignment changes? This is when those changes are saved. So if you crash the sim after making changes, they won't be saved. Another possible problem is if the fsx.cfg file is in some write-protected folder, though that's less likely in FSX.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Question: Have you exited the sim cleanly after making the assignment changes? This is when those changes are saved. So if you crash the sim after making changes, they won't be saved. Another possible problem is if the fsx.cfg file is in some write-protected folder, though that's less likely in FSX.

I am exiting the sim using the "End Flight" option, however with the Aerosoft A320 the sim sometimes crashes. When it does not crash, the settings stick but they revert to default after a CTD. The CTD happens about 50% of the time with the AS A320 and may not happen for 2 or 3 flights then suddenly it will happen on "End Flight". FSX has full access to files and folders on my system, it is run as admin by default.

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8-4.4GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz RAM, 1TB Kingston NV1 SSD, 1TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD, 240GB Maxtor Z1 2.5" SSD, MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT.

I don't use FSUIPC to modify joystick controls but perhaps this will still help...

I've only lost key bindings once in the past so I also keep a copy of the Standard.xml file to repair my bindings - actually several copies.

The active Standard.xml file is found in the user's AppData folder here: ...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\Standard.XML. I initially made a copy of the default configuration and also a copy with the changes I've made so I can copy-past back into the active copy (Standard.xml)

In addition I wondered where the repair version came from that restored a damaged/lost file - found it here: FSX/Standard.xml. This is the 'default' bindings that are used to 'restore defaults' so what I did was

1) save a copy as insurance

2) overwrite the 'default' file (FSX\standard.xml)with my customized version from the appData folder so that:

3) if I somehow lose my active copy I just press the [Restore Defaults] button and everything is restored (including my changes).

As a side note, I also don't have to shut down the sim to do a copy-paste operation to effect a repair.

Side note #2 --- FSUIPC and key bindings...

Reading the FSUIPC documentation years ago, I noticed some sim functions that caught my eye - GEAR_UP and GEAR_DOWN. These functions are not in the list of available bindings within the sim but they can be added manually to the standard.xml file: I use the left Windows + G keys as the trigger for Gear Down and right Windows + G keys for the Gear up function. Works like a champ! So no more Toggling gear up before landing because I thought mistakenly that the gear was still up. Gear Down means DOWN and only DOWN.

My code additions

VK_RWIN+G

GEAR_UP

VK_LWIN+G

GEAR_DOWN

You can optionally use other available keys/key combinations.

To edit xml files, right-click and select 'EDIT'. If you select open you will just view the file without the ability to edit.

Loyd

Edited by llivaudais

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners