Hdd ssd and flight simulator 2020 installation

tbonepiano77

Hi. I assembled my computer a few years ago. I've played a lot of flight sims but I'm not very knowledgeable on installation of the programs on hdd and ssd. I just bought flight sim 2020 and put it on 1 TB hdd where windows 10 is. After the initial 2 or 3 Gigs I was going to put the rest on my 500G SATA ssd but I stopped and realized I don't really know what the h#ll I'm doing. The only thing I have on my ssd is DCS World. X plane 11 works good on hdd. But with flight sim 2020 I have a lot of questions I can't quite find the answers to regarding drives and install.

I have i7 6700k, 16G RAM, 6G Gtx 1060. The only thing I might add is more RAM.

Could someone please answer some questions:

Does flight sim 2020 have to be on the same drive as windows 10?

Should I move my Windows to the ssd?

My internet is 2mbs a lot of the time, and I hear that you can manually cache locations, is that ok on hdd? Or should that be ssd?

Given my computer and gpu, should I bother to buy bigger dedicated ssd (I also have DCS World stuff)? My motherboard is Asus z170a is it worth it to go to M.2 ssd? I don't want to blow a bunch of money on this computer if it really won't improve the flight sim 2020 experience that much. I'm kind of lost in all this...Please help...

Hi. I assembled my computer a few years ago. I've played a lot of flight sims but I'm not very knowledgeable on installation of the programs on hdd and ssd. I just bought flight sim 2020 and put it on 1 TB hdd where windows 10 is. After the initial 2 or 3 Gigs I was going to put the rest on my 500G SATA ssd but I stopped and realized I don't really know what the h#ll I'm doing. The only thing I have on my ssd is DCS World. X plane 11 works good on hdd. But with flight sim 2020 I have a lot of questions I can't quite find the answers to regarding drives and install.

My internet is 2mbs a lot of the time, and I hear that you can manually cache locations, is that ok on hdd? Or should that be ssd?

Given my computer and gpu, should I bother to buy bigger dedicated ssd (I also have DCS World stuff)? My motherboard is Asus z170a is it worth it to go to M.2 ssd? I don't want to blow a bunch of money on this computer if it really won't improve the flight sim 2020 experience that much. I'm kind of lost in all this...Please help...

I woudn't bother with FS2020 on THAT rig... Too little, too old.

It should run, but only on minor settings.

Here is FS2020 running on a similar system to the OP:

With a new GPU, something like a 1660 Super, the OP will get a nice boost in performance.

For reference...please see video content created by Michael Hayward:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFESEwS4dHmBPNJYhrTdu_Q

Here is FS2020 running on a similar system to the OP:

With a new GPU, something like a 1660 Super, the OP will get a nice boost in performance.

For reference...please see video content created by Michael Hayward:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFESEwS4dHmBPNJYhrTdu_Q

Precisely why I wrote what I wrote: Abysmal performance and sub-par frame rates.

Blame You Tube?

Precisely why I wrote what I wrote: Abysmal performance and sub-par frame rates.

Blame You Tube?

Not at all...30FPS is perfectly acceptable to a lot of people (especially in the FS community).

Going by your initial post:

...is unhelpful and offers no good advice.

Yes, the OP can run FS2020, albeit at medium settings, perhaps even higher in less densely populated areas, but with a new GPU (such as the 1660 Super I mentioned), the experience will be more enjoyable.

Hi Russell,

Flight Simulator 2020 (after the initial setup), can be installed to a drive of your choice, preferably an SSD.

In regards to your internet speed...yes, it's a bit on the slow side, so whilst there's not much wrong with your setup (a new GPU would help), your internet speed would hinder your enjoyment.

Yes, you could fly offline, but the experience would be somewhat muted.

So to sum up; I would prioritise (if possible), internet speed, then possibly a new GPU at a later date :-)

Regards

Dominic

Hi Russell,

Flight Simulator 2020 (after the initial setup), can be installed to a drive of your choice, preferably an SSD.

In regards to your internet speed...yes, it's a bit on the slow side, so whilst there's not much wrong with your setup (a new GPU would help), your internet speed would hinder your enjoyment.

Yes, you could fly offline, but the experience would be somewhat muted.

So to sum up; I would prioritise (if possible), internet speed, then possibly a new GPU at a later date :-)

Regards

Dominic

Thanks for the replies Dominic! Yes, telling me my computer is a piece of crap, while true to an extent, is not helpful. I already knew that. I shuffled things around on my drives I have windows 10 and flight sim on my SSD. The ISP got my internet up to 20 Mbs max. I customized the graphics settings in-game; some are off, some are medium, and some are high. It works great!! I read so many negative things about low frame rates. It's not like I really need lense flare on the camera I'm not running 4k. for me that's overkill. I don't watch movies in 4k or blu ray. people are a little spoiled... to point the negativity back on them a little.

It's worth the money, even with my system. I'm going to build some rudder pedals, that's about it.

Over-all a good experience.

I made the Lift Bridge and a bunch of buildings for scenery for Duluth, Minnesota for x-plane 10. I took off from Duluth in fs2020, flew over the hill, held my breath...........No lift bridge:mad:

Hopefully there's freeware or I could add my 3d models into custom scenery like fsx or xplane.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you figure out the answers to your're questions? As I understand it no the game doesn't have to be on the same partition or drive as the OS. It is reported that it puts some necessary information on the C drive then sends the rest to the designated drive on it's own. Our friend Google indicates you have a an M.2 slot so and internal M.2 certainly won't slow you down. I believe the somewhat standard set up is an SSD for the OS and a SATA SSD or physical HD for the data. It is certainly faster to use electronic HDs for both. My new computer is coming with one internal M.2 with 1 TB so everything will live on one partitioned HD with an external USB SSD for backups. If your system bottlenecks around the CPU and or GPU extra ram may not help. Again my new box only has 16 Gb Ram and I'll see how that works before springing for more. There are Youtube Videos about bottle necks and ram.

Don't let the negativity get you down. After all this is about fun. Maybe we'll go flying someday.

Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot: