AI Landing on wrong end of Runway

Stewie

Does anyone know how to stop AI from landing on the wrong end of the runway? I'm using the E Joshua St. Vincent scenery. Runway 7 is used for landing and Runway 25 for takeoff. Unfortunately, AI is landing through the mountain at the end of Runway 25. I've tried changing everything I could think of in the afcad and nothing changes. Any support in how to correct this would be appreciated.

Regards,

Stewie

Edited by Stewie
Add picture

Hi,

There is no approach code for this airport. The AI uses a default approach, which ignores terrain.

As Tom said, single end operations don't work in FS9 (I wonder if it's finally possible in MSFS?)...

If you want to close a runway with AFCAD or ADE, you have to close both ends for takeoff or landing.

An approach code could be written for RWY25, either a straight in (if possible), or a curved approach.

That way, AI would at least stop flying through terrain. But it would have to be ILS code, for AI to always use it.

Regards,

DDP.

Thank you for the feedback. I guess I could live with flights coming through the mountain, but now i've discovered that some of the other ai just appear at a gate without landing. I assumed that it might be an issue with the flight time, but when I tried flying to the island, it never cleared me to land. It does give instructions to circle rnwy 25 to land on rnwy 7. The altitude assigned would cause the plane to collide with the mountain at rnwy 25. In order to clear the mountain, it would require 2500ft to clear successfully. Is there a way to create an ILS for the afcad, even though it's not realistic for this airport?

Hi,

TVSV is permanently closed since Feb 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyle_International_Airport

There is a fs2004 scenery available:

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=200569

Beat me to it... :)

That would be the realistic solution, and there's no mountains on either runway end there.

Of course you will need to edit AI flightplans for AI to show up at TVSA.

Also, I like a challenge, so I'll try to make an approach code for RWY25.

Regards,

DDP.

Does anyone know how to stop AI from landing on the wrong end of the runway? I'm using the E Joshua St. Vincent scenery. Runway 7 is used for landing and Runway 25 for takeoff. Unfortunately, AI is landing through the mountain at the end of Runway 25. I've tried changing everything I could think of in the afcad and nothing changes. Any support in how to correct this would be appreciated.

Regards,

Stewie

Reset the wind. You have control.

I just rechecked to be sure before I write this, but SceneGenX (which I use for scenery) allows a runway to be one-ended, and it does actually work. I have only used this once, for Monument Valley, where there is a solid lump of rock to the north. FS9 acts strangely when you try to state which runway you are about to use for take off; a quote from my installation instructions here:-

"Do not be surprised when you ask to select a runway for take off and FS9 only gives you 16 as a choice, even though you know this is the wrong one. When you accept it FS9 will quickly switch it to 34; apart from a possible sense of humour I have no idea why it does this."

That statement about trade wind directions is true overall, but not necessarily so locally. Trinidad is around 7 degrees North and the locals told me that the winds there and further north up the chain of islands were almost always from the south side of east. I lived there for two years and I found that to be true. The shortest runway I have ever seen is on Saba island at under 1,000 feet and it is aligned 12-30, presumably for that reason. There are video on YouTube, take a look:

Nice, we had 3 times some weeks holidays on Tobago, Turtle Beach about 25 years ago.

:)

On a sailing trip from St. Lucia to the Grenadines we could feel the wind, especially between the islands.

Perhaps the wind at Trinidad is deflected from the south american continent?

Anyway, have a look : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_winds

On Saba is no other place for a runway, I suppose

Obviously I wasn't flying every day of every week for two years (hmmmm, missed opportunity?) so I can only say what I found, and anything is possible. With the short summer rain storms the wind was often from the west! Tobago is a nice island. The cops there only carry pistols, while in Trinidad they have automatic weapons. Trinidad with a population of around 3m has 2 or 3 or 5 daily murders and a higher murder rate than New York with 10 million.

FYI - the weather in FS9 does play a role in which runway is active for landing/takeoff. I would still like to find a solution to avoid AI from having to fly through the mountain to land. I know DDP may possibly create an approach code for rwy25. Question though, I have some AI that won't land at all. They just show up at the gate. There is no problem with them taking off, just with some landing. My thought is it could be an AI Flightplan issue? Not sure. Any thoughts?

They show up on the parking because flying into a mountain stops the rest of their flying and they skip on down to the next planned part of their flight, which is to park. Happens a lot with AI in hilly areas, and it just takes luck for it all to work properly.

I did mention before the single end runway that I made and which worked for me. I noticed just now that I misquoted the runway ends; it was the take off to the south that was stopped and all planes landed from the north and took off towards the north. Is SceneGenX the only airfield programme that makes a single end runway that works? Wouldn't that solve your problem? Or have I misread it all?

Edited by Roger Wensley