No more FS9 full screen mode with latest W10 update?

JSMR

I love Win10 so much I haven't even upgraded yet, because I know the longer I hold off the better it will be when I finally make the switch!

Just be careful how long you hold off. Hold off long enough FS9 probably won't even work!

I've been using FS9 for 17 years as have most of us I would say. I intend to be using it in another 17 years from now. There is absolutely no hope this will be possible if I'm trying to do it on a Win 10 system.

Mark Daniels

Some months ago I was able to do the update to Win 10 on my existing Win 7 machine. It went pretty smooth and all of my FS9 stuff works like before (with a few one time tweaks) including my old repaint model displaying programs. The only glitch so far is getting Instant Scenery to take after I do a scenery mod. I will figure it out eventually.

I am not sure about a fresh install of Windows 10 and then installing FS9 on that. I heard there are numerous problems with that.

To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not sure what peoples' Win10 problems are. I just recently installed FS9 on a standard Win10 box after several years of not playing it. Absolutely no problems with the installation and it is less crashy than either FSX or P3Dv4 which are supposed to work on Win10. The only real issue I have is that sometimes when I end a flight, it quits and reloads the whole sim. Minor annoyance since it loads back up so quickly. P3D takes 10 minutes to load on my system (not kidding, I timed it) so that would get old fast if that happened there.

August

I'm not sure what peoples' Win10 problems are. I just recently installed FS9 on a standard Win10 box after several years of not playing it. Absolutely no problems with the installation and it is less crashy than either FSX or P3Dv4 which are supposed to work on Win10. The only real issue I have is that sometimes when I end a flight, it quits and reloads the whole sim. Minor annoyance since it loads back up so quickly. P3D takes 10 minutes to load on my system (not kidding, I timed it) so that would get old fast if that happened there.

August

There are several complex add-ons that don't work properly. The other issue is Win 10 and some newer hardware is preventing FS9 from running at all for some users. Their workaround around is using compatibility modes but this then creates other problems.

Most things still work on Win 10 but if you run enough add-ons, sooner or later you will find problems that don't exist on other operating systems.

Mark Daniels

It seems that, as per Mark, the Windows 10 issues are probably with certain jet tubeliners.

I have not picked up issues with my CS C-130 either. As I dont fly jet tubes, I dont have an issue with Windows 10 at all.

But for those that do have issues.. Windows 7 seems to work.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I would like to add my opion here. Upgraded my pc new mobo etc. Followed the advice of zswobbie1 and after a few interesting glitches i am up and running swimmingly. All addons ASE, GE Pro, AI Smooth, etc,etc. All my aircraft, can't speak for all as i don't have all the ones listed. My Capt. Sim C-130 works a charm. Shout out to all members who have assisted over the many years. You are GREAT. You know who you are. Thanks everyone, and keep the blue sky up. Cheers
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

I use Windows 10 and have used the Level-D, PMDG, Wilco, Ifly, Captainsim, etc. they all work fine for me. ive had no problems at all. heck, check my youtube channel. I just livestreamed the Airsimmer Wilco Merge last weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/ShortFinal

Level-D had some kind of stutter or fps issues with gauges I think. There are problems with some of the aircraft I listed. Wilco for example had issues under Win 7 but they fixed some of those. As I said, I haven't tested anything myself as I want longevity from FS9 so dumped Win 10 quickly and went back to Win 7 for this reason and to guarantee a trouble free FS9.

All addons ASE, GE Pro, AI Smooth, etc,etc.

You're running AI Smooth as admin right?

Mark Daniels

Hi, when i had the computer upgraded i was made administrator, i run everything as admin. Some Airports and such reccomend you do.
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

Hi, when i had the computer upgraded i was made administrator, i run everything as admin. Some Airports and such reccomend you do.

That's really a bad idea. There are a host of problems and risks you take doing this. Anyhow, I can only warn, tried a million times now over using compatibility modes and running as admin. It's your PC.

Mark Daniels

Hey guys. When I started this thread I didn’t think it would degenerate i to name calling, abuse and totally off topic. Mods, please close this one.

Just kiiiiiiiiding. :p :D

I hate Windows updates. I actually think it’s MS’s way of controlling the world. I’ve seen it in a movie once.

That's really a bad idea. There are a host of problems and risks you take doing this. Anyhow, I can only warn, tried a million times now over using compatibility modes and running as admin. It's your PC.

Thanks for your input Mark, We will just have to agree to disagree as they say.