Air File

Mowgli22

I accidentally changed the Air file in FS9 and can't figure out how to change it back to notepad. When i select notepad and open it all i can see in the file is a mixture of characters and numbers, having not opened the air file before, i don't know if that is the way it should look. Help please.
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

You are seeing what are called "control characters" which are closer to binary and machine language.

Don't use notepad to edit an air file, search the "must have" files for FS9 and get a copy of AIRED ("air-ed").

You can edit air files to your heart's content, just be careful with the changes you make.

Aired will show you a type of "branch" display and what kind of actions those numbers control. The usual important stuff you'll want to edit are found near the top of the data and in "section 1101", you'll see what I mean once you install Aired.

Once you have it installed (you can install it pretty much anywhere), right click on a .air file and chose the "Open with" function, then select Aired and you're done. After that, you can just double click on your .air files and they'll automatically open in Aired.

Edited by BobSeaman

Thanks guys, All the files went back to default. I'll look into Air-Ed. Does anyone know if it works in WIN 10?
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

Yes, I am running a version of AirEd in Windows 10. I use it all the time. I have never had a problem.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Thanks for that. Sorry for the late reply, life you know.