Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Fsx startup please?

The "Use Registry" button is only clicked on if the path shown on the top box is correct. If it is not correct, do not click on Use Registry. Instead use the Browse For Folder button to find the correct path (like you just did - C/steam/steamapps/common/FSX) for the bottom box (I think you can actually type on it instead, but am not 100% sure). When done, click on OK. That is what the paragraph under Figure 8-2 means by "override." The OK button will only use what is on the bottom box and not on the top box, thus overriding what is on the top box. You should then hopefully be able to use UTX as you have normally in the past after that.

You probably knew that already, but ensure FSX is NOT open and running whenever you are using the UTX Setup Utility. Fingers are crossed for three check marks soon!
    Last edited by TextRich; 12-03-2020 at 01:58 PM.

Hi TextRich. thanks for reply.

Have this new info thanks but leaving it till Morning.

Had enough Today.

Thanks

Paul.
    Windows 10 2020.
    Processor: AMD Ryzon 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz.
    Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB.
    System type: 64-bit Operating System X64-based processor.

Good Morning everybody.

Really thought this was nearly sorted out?

OK, When entering "C/steam/steamapps/common/FSX" Get a Green check mark but when clicking OK goes back to Three Boxes with the First Box checked RED! and other Two blank.

Also Critical Error Box Message "The FSX SCENERY.CFG orFSX.CFG files could not be located at the expected location below:

C:\Users\paulc\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG But thought this was supposed to be: C/steam/steamapps/common/FSX

This is a critical problem. Please visit the Ultimate Terrain support forum at: www.simforums.com\forum

Tried to visit site But get: the famous 404 - File or directory not found message.

what do I do now please?

Regards

Thanks

Paul.
    Last edited by pcohen; 12-04-2020 at 04:24 AM. Reason: addition
    Windows 10 2020.

Hi Paul. I see the new errors as a good thing because it shows that you are making progress. :-)

For the 404 error, the web address is incorrect. It should be:

www.simforums.com/forums/

That new path you see with an /AppData/ folder is the settings folder that FSX:SE creates when it is run for the first time. FSX.cfg is the file that has all your FSX settings and scenery.cfg is your scenery library. These settings are NOT installed in your normal Steam FSX folder. The reason for that is that you can safely uninstall and reinstall FSX and not lose your settings. Before you blame Steam, it is the same way for boxed FSX.

In addition, AppData is normally an invisible folder in Windows. You can make it visible by opening any File Explorer window in Windows 10 and checking the box indicated in the below image by my black arrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	224067

After you have checked that box, I suggest you do next:

1) Run FSX:SE. Say yes and OK to any and all messages that may appear.
    2) Start any free flight. It can be the default one with the flying Trike.
    3) When you are airborne, quit FSX:SE normally. It may take 30 seconds or so for Steam to fully shut the software down.
    4) In Windows go to the C folder, then Users, then paulc, then AppData, then Roaming, then Microsoft.
    5) Do you see only one FSX folder, or do you see a FSX folder and also a FSX-SE folder? FSX-SE is created by FSX:SE if Windows already has boxed FSX in its registry. This is done so boxed and Steam FSX do not conflict with each other. Right now we want FSX only and no FSX-SE.

IF YOU SEE A FSX FOLDER ONLY
    Open that folder to verify you have FSX.cfg and scenery.cfg files in that folder (any other files are fine). If you do not see .cfg, in Windows explorer, check the box above the Hidden Items box (File name extensions) to force Windows to show you extensions (like .cfg, .txt, .htm, etc.). If you do see them, then run UTX again and see if you get the error message again.

IF YOU SEE A FSX-SE FOLDER
    ***DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING STEPS BELOW IF YOU DO NOT SEE A FSX-SE FOLDER!!!!***
    I saw this in UTX's forums and I figure this will be the easiest fix:

1) Go to the folder that has UTX USA. I think it will be in C:/Flight One Software/UtxUsaFsx or something like that. Again I do not have that software installed now, so if you see a similar name, please take the initiative to go to that folder. :-)
    1a) Alternatively, you could go to the icon you use to launch UTX in Windows. Right-click on it, select More, and then Open File Location to reveal the folder. Or right-click on the alias for UTX.
    The main point of 1 and 1a is to go to that folder. :-)

2) There should be a file called Product.INI in that folder. Right-click on it and select copy, and then right-click on an empty part of the folder and select paste. It makes a backup file in case anything goes wrong.

3) Right-click on Product.INI and select Open With. I suggest using Notepad but Wordpad works as well.

4) There should be a section that reads something like this:
    [Product]
    Region=USA
    Version=2.3.0
    Platform=FSX
    Product=Ultimate Terrain X - USA
    [Settings]
    NoWarningCheck=0
    Developer=1
    DefaultWaterTextures=0
    DefaultTextureRes=1024
    HaloTexture=0
    Path=C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX
    Registry=Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0
    SceneryCfg=Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG
    FsxCfg=Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG
    TerrainCfg=C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX
    Exe=fsx.exe

In the SceneryCfg line, change \FSX\ to \FSX-SE\. In the FsxCfg line, change \FSX\ to \FSX-SE\.

5) Save the file and close it.

6) Try running UTX again and report back.

I do have another possible fix in mind, but let's say it may be a little intimidating. So I will hold off on that idea until you try the above procedures.
    Last edited by TextRich; 12-04-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Hi TextRich, thanks. have info but this will probably take a while.

Was awaiting a new pair of specs just before Covid Virus kicked in, Still waiting.

Catch you later.

Thanks

Paul.
    Windows 10 2020.

Hi TextRich

Got as far as section 4 but no mention of this:

In the SceneryCfg line, change \FSX\ to \FSX-SE\. In the FsxCfg line, change \FSX\ to \FSX-SE\.

Only this:

SceneryComplexityMin=1.0
    SceneryComplexityMax=1.36

Hope this makes sense

Paul.
    Windows 10 2020.

Before we continue any further, Paul, in the AppData/Roaming/Microsoft folder, do you see both a FSX and a FSX-SE folder, or only a FSX folder? Please confirm.

Hello Again

I only Have One Folder in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft which is the the FSX-SE folder which is your second Folder.

Thanks

Paul
    Windows 10 2020.

OK that is very good to know. That Product.ini file, open it again. I assume it looks like this:

[Settings]
    SceneryComplexityMin=1.0

Under SceneryComplexity Max, copy and paste these two lines:
    SceneryCfg=Microsoft\FSX-SE\SCENERY.CFG
    FsxCfg=Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX.CFG

So the final file should look like this:
    [Settings]
    SceneryComplexityMin=1.0
    SceneryCfg=Microsoft\FSX-SE\SCENERY.CFG
    FsxCfg=Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX.CFG

Save it and try running UTX again. The reason those two lines were not there in the first place is that the default settings have not been changed, so there was no reason for the lines to be written in the .ini files. I don't see anything in the manual about manually changing the paths for the AppData/FSX-SE/ folder, so I am hoping adding those two lines to the .ini file will do the trick.

Hello again.

Product.ini File now reading as your last Post and saved. But still getting following Error Messages when trying to open "Change FSX Location"

" When entering "C/steam/steamapps/common/FSX" Get a Green check mark but when clicking OK goes back to Three Boxes with the First Box checked RED! and other Two blank.

Also Critical Error Box Message "The FSX SCENERY.CFG orFSX.CFG files could not be located at the expected location below:

C:\Users\paulc\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG But thought this was supposed to be: C/steam/steamapps/common/FSX

This is a critical problem. Please visit the Ultimate Terrain support forum at: www.simforums.com\forum

Not sure where were going next?

Many thanks for continued help.

Paul.
    Windows 10 2020.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast