Fsx startup please?

pcohen

Hi shubharora734, Thanks for reply.

As you have probably read, already, I have 3 X FSX Gold Editions One of which Contains the Acceleration Disk Addition. (Now 4 if you include FSX Steam Edition).

I spent best part Of Three Weeks with a lot of help from the Guys on the Forums getting FSX to Re-Install after purchasing a New a Gaming PC.

Finally, after much persuading by others I Purchased The FSX Steam Edition, Was only 15 Dollars which is about just over £10 in GBP's It Loaded first Time without any hassle whatsoever.

The Only Problem I Had was getting Ultimate Terrain USA to load again but there is also an updated Version of this as well.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Processor: AMD Ryzon 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz.

Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB.

System type: 64-bit Operating System X64-based processor.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi TextRich. Yet another Question Please.

Now this Steam Download Version of Microsoft Flight Simulator X is up and running OK. Is it Possible to Burn it To a DVD as it is or would I still have to go through the agony of setting up Ultimate Terrain USA again.

Thanks

Paul.

You can back up these folders:

-C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX (main FSX folder)

*C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

*C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

-C:\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

For the two marked with *, you need to set in Windows Explorer the View to Hidden Files. I don't know where your UTX folder is, but include it as well.

shubharora734, it is possible your online license have expired. FSX:Steam Edition is the easiest way to get back up and running. If you must have the boxed version working again, I suggest creating a new thread.

Hi Everybody, Me again.

FSX Steam Edition has been running OK for Two or Three Days now without any Issues whatever.

But Today for whatever reason Has started Crashing to Desktop with Visual Basic Problems?

I have lots of Microsoft Visual Basic C+ + Installed ranging From 2005 through till

Microsoft Visual Basic C+ + 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) - 14.27.29016.

But unsure as to whether I need all of them.

I Also have the latest .NET Framework 2008? but sure this is not the problem.

Thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Hey Paul, see this post (under #1) to find the exact Visual Basic Redistributables that FSX:SE needs.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/2566437997126824291/#c2566437997126861758

Visual Basic Redistributables do not exclude the need to install older versions. So for example a 2015-2019 Redistributable will not substitute for the need of a 2005 Redistributable. So install everything you find in that Steam folder explained in the above link. Windows will not re-install anything that is exactly the same.

For your reference, the below screen shot is all the Redists I have. I am NOT saying you need to find and install every one of them, but I do not have startup problems at all so if you have all of those too HOPEFULLY you will be OK. Try the link above first and try running FSX:SE after BEFORE you go hunting for more downloads. :-) I probably got a handful of Redistributables from other computer games and not FSX, though.

Redist.PNG

Good Morning TextRich.

I also have all of these Listed in Control Panel/Programs and Features. and also, all are Listed in the Revo Uninstaller Page.

Not sure all of these are Required to run FSX but tend to leave Unknown Issues alone.

Thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Good Morning TextRich.

I also have all of these Listed in Control Panel/Programs and Features. and also, all are Listed in the Revo Uninstaller Page.

Not sure all of these are Required to run FSX but tend to leave Unknown Issues alone.

Thanks

Paul.

They are. Don't touch them...

Re-install from that folder I showed you in the last link anyway. Who knows, one of them may have gotten corrupted.

According to this tutorial:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-quickly-check-net-framework-version-windows-10

I have these .NET versions. Who knows, you may be missing one of them - they have been amassed over many years and for different applications.

If all else fails, verify the integrity of your FSX:SE files using the Steam application. First I suggest disabling your UTX USA (just use the Quick Disable function in the setup tool) so you don't lose the UTX files and textures. Then in Steam go to Library and scroll down to Microsoft FSX:SE. Right click on it and select Properties. Then select Local Files, and finally click on the Verify Files. The Steam App will re-download any missing or corrupted files. This is a frequent go-to fix for common FSX:SE errors.

Other than what I have posted here I actually have very little experience with those errors. So if you are still stuck I suggest opening a new thread with a more specific title of your issue to make your issue more visible to others.

Edited by TextRich

Hi TextRich. thanks for reply.

Have done as suggested, but as you know sometimes you have to wait a Couple of Hours to see if It Is working correctly.

Thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Hello everybody. this is where I have got to so far. AGAIN.

Have a new FSX STEAM EDITION Installed (steam crashed Yesterday for whatever reason, no explanation)

Have Installed Ultimate Terrain USA VERSION 2 and Ultimate Terrain EUROPE 2 and now trying to get them to Run

This is supposed to be the entry to Change FSX Location:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX It also shows a single GREEN CHECK BOX. on the First screen.

But when Screen closes am told:

The FSX SCENERY.CFG orFSX.CFG file(s) could be located at the expected location below:

C:\Users\paulc\AppData\roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY>CFG

This is a Critical problem. Please visit the Ultimate Terrain

support forum at: http://www.simforums.com/forum

Hope this lot makes sense this time.

Thanks.

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

The FSX SCENERY.CFG orFSX.CFG file(s) could be located at the expected location below:

I think you mistyped SCENERY.CFG as SCENERY>CFG. The USA and Europe tools may have different settings so make sure the settings for Europe is the same as USA's.

Hi TextRich, thanks for reply.

Don't think I know what I'm doing anymore.

Ultimate Terrain USA, I think is working, not 100% sure although I can only seem to get One GREEN CHECK BOX when using the Command Lines for the FSX entry.

Ultimate Terrain EUROPE, Shows Two boxes, One of which you have to run Twice to Install and the other, Run Once for the Lights to Install.

However, Just took a trip from London Heathrow to berlin Just to try out, but when you get across the English Channel the Scenery is non existent? Looks pretty Basic. Mainly green grass.

Also still having Problems with the Runtime errors, Flight Crashes after about an Hour with Runtime Error Messages.

Not sure what to do next?

Going out shortly, so will be back at it again in the Morning.

Thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

I haven't followed this thread, but for what's it worth:

even disregarding the propable typo (SCENERY>CFG vs SCENERY.CFG), this is NOT the correct location of the active scenery.cfg.

The correct location is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

I personally have hit my personal limit for this thread, especially for someone who states he doesn't even know what he is doing anymore. PERSONALLY in your situation with my level of computer ability I would uninstall everything UTX and FSX:SE (but keep Steam), delete all boxed and Steam FSX registry entries I can find, re-install FSX:Steam, run it to make sure everything is working, and then re-install and test the two UTX add-ons one at a time.

How to fully uninstall FSX:SE (but it doesn't tell you how to delete Windows registry entries):

https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/47/14

Two UTX threads that likely pertain to your situation (including how to remove registry entries):

https://www.simforums.com/forums/utxeuropev2-installation-on-fsxse_topic53163.html

https://www.simforums.com/forums/solved-the-scenery-cfg-could-not-be-located_topic52063.html

I'll totally understand if it is too much computing for your liking. There is always the new Microsoft Flight Simulator and so far it has been doing a pretty good job of not requiring so much computer tinkering compared to the older simulator. In addition its default scenery pretty much makes most FSX scenery add-ons obsolete in terms of visual quality (if not always accuracy) Whatever you end up doing Paul I hope you get all the stable simming time you deserve in the end.

Hi TextRich, thanks for reply again.

Not Impressed with the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 as previously stated.

OK, Have done exactly as you suggested in your Last Post by Uninstalling everything UTX and FSX:SE. and keeping Steam.

When Reinstalling and running FSX the first messages I get are Scenery.cfg's 121 to 129 canot be found. I have ignored this previously and carried on with the Install proccess because I thought it would be present when loading FSX for the first Time when completed.

Have run FSX for a Couple of Hours now and it seems to be running fine.

But, here's the but, Firstly when trying to load Ultimate Terrain (UTX-Usa-23) does the Original UT have to be Present or is this a completly new UT.

And despite my best efforts and following the advice of others on the Forum am still having problems with these Command Lines as other Forum Members have Suggested

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg (GUESSING ONE OF THESE FOR THE LIGHTS)

C:\Users\paulc\AppData\roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG

All I get is The specific FSX path is not valid. The new path will not be saved if you exit now. Are you sure you want exit ? YES/NO

Even when continuing IT doesn't Install properly.

Thanks for all your previous help and assistance, really much appreciated.

If I don't get it working soon I think I'll be going back to my Trainset.

Best regards

Paul.

Edited by pcohen
chsnge

Windows 10 2020.

Sorry I wasn't more explicit Paul: you need to FULLY UNINSTALL FSX. The 1st link in my post (Dovetail Games, which used to distribute FSX:SE) tells you how to do that. You also need to delete registry entries before you re-install FSX:SE, as described in one of the other links I sent you in my last reply. Your errors posted are exactly what I knew would happen when one does not fully uninstall FSX:SE. Using Steam isn't enough.

Glad to help, and I also am not pleased with MSFS in its current state, but at least you won't have to do so much legwork with your computer. At least you have your train set as a fallback hobby.

Hi Everybody, breaking news!!

All the times I have tried to load Microsoft Flight Simulator-STEAM EDITION over the past few weeks and failed completely

I Have never seen this: Performing first time setup 1 of 12. Then proceeded to load Various Items Including Visual Basic files.

HOPEFULLY, I might Have a bit better luck this time?

Thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Still need to know Please If Ultimate Terrain (original) Is required to be Installed for Ultimate Terrain USA Version 2 to run?

Or is Ultimate Terrain USA Version 2 a Standalone Version.

Many thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

OK If you know what to look for, I'm no Computer wizard.

Thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Hi TextRich, hope your well.

Following on from Post No. 191.

Yesterday And Today I have been running FSX - SE on it's own without any additions to see how far I could get before any Runtime Errors stopped the Simulation.

Well, I have flown from Vancouver, Canada to Miami International in Florida without any problems or more importantly any Run Time Errors cropping up.

This Morning I have Installed Ultimate Terrain USA 2 and Ultimate Terrain Europe 2 and guess what? Both are running Fine!!!

Would like to thank you for all your time and Patience and all the other Guys who have added their Input over the last few Weeks

Thanks Guys, very much appreciated.

Best Regards

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.