Fsx startup please?

pcohen

I stand by my posts, PCohen. If you looked at the second image in post #122, you will see the full website address for the UTX guide that would certainly help you. You can type each character and hit Enter yourself if it is more comfortable for you. The problem with this message board is that long web site addresses are not displayed in full, so normally you need to click on them and not copy and paste the truncated address.

I really enjoyed using UTX with FSX before I switched to Orbx. FSX scenery at maximum settings does not have what UTX has. It's the truth, unfortunately. If you do not feel the extra effort on your part required to make the add-on you paid for work with FSX:SE is worth it, then that is your prerogative.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi TextRich, thanks again for reply.

I'm not looking for a slanging match here but What do you mean by "the extra effort on your part".

I purchased this new Gaming Computer on the 30th September 2020 and have not been able to use it properly YET. Because I've spent Two Months on the Forums trying to sort out the Problem Firstly with the Activation Issue on/In FSX and secondly with getting UTX working.

I think Effort Is not the Issue?

Many thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Processor: AMD Ryzon 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz.

Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB.

System type: 64-bit Operating System X64-based processor.

I'm not looking for a slanging match here but What do you mean by "the extra effort on your part".

I purchased this new Gaming Computer on the 30th September 2020 and have not been able to use it properly YET. Because I've spent Two Months on the Forums trying to sort out the Problem Firstly with the Activation Issue on/In FSX and secondly with getting UTX working. Only response I get is The specified FSX path is not valid ?

I think Effort Is not the Issue?

Many thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Paul, your computer is working. That is not an issue.

Your FSX:SE installation is working. That is not an issue.

You want to use UTX USA with FSX:SE, which has been confirmed by me, a fellow FSX:SE and UTX user, as being possible. However, you are getting a path not found error. That is your issue.

The extra effort I am referring to is following the same solution given to you over several posts and/or looking at the UTX USA manual. You were given a link for the manual, a screen shot with its exact web address, and right now I am telling you that you can even Google and find that manual.

The screen shot, taken from the manual, is the exact instruction required to solve your issue:

UTXManual.PNG

Now it is on you to, yes, put in the extra effort to click on several things in the setup program to tell it where your main Steam/steamapps/common/FSX/ folder is.

Computers and their software cannot think for themselves. They rely on correct instructions and file paths. They don't care about how much money you spent on it or how badly you want to see accurate highways and coastlines in FSX:SE. If they give you errors, it is on you to do the work to resolve them.

You have asked the correct questions and now you have the instructions on how to resolve that error. Now it's time for some extra effort. UTX is not able to fix its error by itself. If you do not feel you can click on a few things as instructed to resolve it, then no problem at all. FSX is still a great simulator even without the extra perks that UTX brings to it.

Hello again everybody.

I have the Ultimate Terrain X - Setup Tool window open for the Umteenth Time this week ?

Clicking on the FSX (2nd option) It shows:

1st option Modify FSX Settings/Performance Report.

2nd option Change FSX Location.

My FSX Files are In C:\steam\steamapps\common\FSX

The Change FSX Location Window when opened has Two boxes:

FSX Location in Windows Registry

Or

FSX Location Used By Ultimate Terrain

But for whatever Reason am only allowed to Type in the bottom box FSX Location Used By Ultimate Terrain? Cannot type in top box.

I appreciate and thank all the Guys out there on the Forums who Are trying to sort this out. But there is still something wrong Somewhere because Red Tick stays Red.

Many thanks

Regards

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

The "Use Registry" button is only clicked on if the path shown on the top box is correct. If it is not correct, do not click on Use Registry. Instead use the Browse For Folder button to find the correct path (like you just did - C/steam/steamapps/common/FSX) for the bottom box (I think you can actually type on it instead, but am not 100% sure). When done, click on OK. That is what the paragraph under Figure 8-2 means by "override." The OK button will only use what is on the bottom box and not on the top box, thus overriding what is on the top box. You should then hopefully be able to use UTX as you have normally in the past after that.

You probably knew that already, but ensure FSX is NOT open and running whenever you are using the UTX Setup Utility. Fingers are crossed for three check marks soon!

Edited by TextRich

Hi TextRich. thanks for reply.

Have this new info thanks but leaving it till Morning.

Had enough Today.

Thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Good Morning everybody.

Really thought this was nearly sorted out?

OK, When entering "C/steam/steamapps/common/FSX" Get a Green check mark but when clicking OK goes back to Three Boxes with the First Box checked RED! and other Two blank.

Also Critical Error Box Message "The FSX SCENERY.CFG orFSX.CFG files could not be located at the expected location below:

C:\Users\paulc\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG But thought this was supposed to be: C/steam/steamapps/common/FSX

This is a critical problem. Please visit the Ultimate Terrain support forum at: www.simforums.com\forum

Tried to visit site But get: the famous 404 - File or directory not found message.

what do I do now please?

Regards

Thanks

Paul.

Edited by pcohen
addition

Windows 10 2020.

Hi Paul. I see the new errors as a good thing because it shows that you are making progress. :-)

For the 404 error, the web address is incorrect. It should be:

www.simforums.com/forums/

That new path you see with an /AppData/ folder is the settings folder that FSX:SE creates when it is run for the first time. FSX.cfg is the file that has all your FSX settings and scenery.cfg is your scenery library. These settings are NOT installed in your normal Steam FSX folder. The reason for that is that you can safely uninstall and reinstall FSX and not lose your settings. Before you blame Steam, it is the same way for boxed FSX.

In addition, AppData is normally an invisible folder in Windows. You can make it visible by opening any File Explorer window in Windows 10 and checking the box indicated in the below image by my black arrow.

FE.PNG

After you have checked that box, I suggest you do next:

1) Run FSX:SE. Say yes and OK to any and all messages that may appear.

2) Start any free flight. It can be the default one with the flying Trike.

3) When you are airborne, quit FSX:SE normally. It may take 30 seconds or so for Steam to fully shut the software down.

4) In Windows go to the C folder, then Users, then paulc, then AppData, then Roaming, then Microsoft.

5) Do you see only one FSX folder, or do you see a FSX folder and also a FSX-SE folder? FSX-SE is created by FSX:SE if Windows already has boxed FSX in its registry. This is done so boxed and Steam FSX do not conflict with each other. Right now we want FSX only and no FSX-SE.

IF YOU SEE A FSX FOLDER ONLY

Open that folder to verify you have FSX.cfg and scenery.cfg files in that folder (any other files are fine). If you do not see .cfg, in Windows explorer, check the box above the Hidden Items box (File name extensions) to force Windows to show you extensions (like .cfg, .txt, .htm, etc.). If you do see them, then run UTX again and see if you get the error message again.

IF YOU SEE A FSX-SE FOLDER

***DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING STEPS BELOW IF YOU DO NOT SEE A FSX-SE FOLDER!!!!***

I saw this in UTX's forums and I figure this will be the easiest fix:

1) Go to the folder that has UTX USA. I think it will be in C:/Flight One Software/UtxUsaFsx or something like that. Again I do not have that software installed now, so if you see a similar name, please take the initiative to go to that folder. :-)

1a) Alternatively, you could go to the icon you use to launch UTX in Windows. Right-click on it, select More, and then Open File Location to reveal the folder. Or right-click on the alias for UTX.

The main point of 1 and 1a is to go to that folder. :-)

2) There should be a file called Product.INI in that folder. Right-click on it and select copy, and then right-click on an empty part of the folder and select paste. It makes a backup file in case anything goes wrong.

3) Right-click on Product.INI and select Open With. I suggest using Notepad but Wordpad works as well.

4) There should be a section that reads something like this:

[Product]

Region=USA

Version=2.3.0

Platform=FSX

Product=Ultimate Terrain X - USA

[settings]

NoWarningCheck=0

Developer=1

DefaultWaterTextures=0

DefaultTextureRes=1024

HaloTexture=0

Path=C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX

Registry=Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

SceneryCfg=Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG

FsxCfg=Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG

TerrainCfg=C:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX

Exe=fsx.exe

In the SceneryCfg line, change \FSX\ to \FSX-SE\. In the FsxCfg line, change \FSX\ to \FSX-SE\.

5) Save the file and close it.

6) Try running UTX again and report back.

I do have another possible fix in mind, but let's say it may be a little intimidating. So I will hold off on that idea until you try the above procedures.

Edited by TextRich

Hi TextRich, thanks. have info but this will probably take a while.

Was awaiting a new pair of specs just before Covid Virus kicked in, Still waiting.

Catch you later.

Thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Hi TextRich

Got as far as section 4 but no mention of this:

In the SceneryCfg line, change \FSX\ to \FSX-SE\. In the FsxCfg line, change \FSX\ to \FSX-SE\.

Only this:

SceneryComplexityMin=1.0

SceneryComplexityMax=1.36

Hope this makes sense

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Hello Again

I only Have One Folder in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft which is the the FSX-SE folder which is your second Folder.

Thanks

Paul

Windows 10 2020.

OK that is very good to know. That Product.ini file, open it again. I assume it looks like this:

[settings]

SceneryComplexityMin=1.0

Under SceneryComplexity Max, copy and paste these two lines:

SceneryCfg=Microsoft\FSX-SE\SCENERY.CFG

FsxCfg=Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX.CFG

So the final file should look like this:

[settings]

SceneryComplexityMin=1.0

SceneryCfg=Microsoft\FSX-SE\SCENERY.CFG

FsxCfg=Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX.CFG

Save it and try running UTX again. The reason those two lines were not there in the first place is that the default settings have not been changed, so there was no reason for the lines to be written in the .ini files. I don't see anything in the manual about manually changing the paths for the AppData/FSX-SE/ folder, so I am hoping adding those two lines to the .ini file will do the trick.

Hello again.

Product.ini File now reading as your last Post and saved. But still getting following Error Messages when trying to open "Change FSX Location"

" When entering "C/steam/steamapps/common/FSX" Get a Green check mark but when clicking OK goes back to Three Boxes with the First Box checked RED! and other Two blank.

Also Critical Error Box Message "The FSX SCENERY.CFG orFSX.CFG files could not be located at the expected location below:

C:\Users\paulc\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG But thought this was supposed to be: C/steam/steamapps/common/FSX

This is a critical problem. Please visit the Ultimate Terrain support forum at: www.simforums.com\forum

Not sure where were going next?

Many thanks for continued help.

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Since I care about this so much, I went ahead and re-installed UTX in my computer. ;-)

I think what happened is either:

a) when you installed UTX, you accidentally chose Boxed FSX instead of FSX (Steam).

or

b) You installed UTX for your old boxed FSX BEFORE you purchased and installed FSX:SE.

See the screen shot for what you should do if you install UTX after FSX:SE:

installer.PNG

This is what I suggest you do now:

1) Go to Programs and Files in Windows (you can find it in the white search box). Scroll down to Ultimate Terrain X - USA V2.3.

2) Click on it and select Uninstall. Confirm/OK all subsequent dialogues.

3) Find your UTX installer. It is probably in the folder Flight One Software and the installer's name is UtxUsa23IM.exe. I wouldn't know where you downloaded it. You may need to re-download it if necessary.

4) Right-click on that installer and select Run as Administrator. Confirm everything, and select FSX Steam Edition for both the top and bottom (the bottom is for the optional UTX Lights. Go ahead and install that too if you want).

5) In my Steam install, the UTX folder is located in C:/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX/Flight One Software/UtUsaFx/. In that folder right click on UtSetup.exe and select Run as administrator.

6) HOPEFULLY You will get 3 green check marks!!! If you then see a big red X that says Disabled, go to Terrain-->Quick UTX Enable/Disable to Enable it and get a green check mark instead. You will then be good to go.

By the way I tried my Product.INI edit and the fix I suggested works for me. Those two steps I tell you to run as administrator will hopefully force UTX to install correctly. Some Windows systems have too much file protection going on and I'm hoping to avoid having you to change the file protection settings. This is my current suspicion because your Product.INI file has only two lines while the one I have has many lines in it. I have almost no file protection in my FSX setup to make add-on installing and editing easier.

Edited by TextRich

This thread needs renaming i think? Anyone else with the same ongoing saga will never find it using 'search'

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

I Hope I'm wrong, I only have "Ultimate Terrain X - USA"

Your going to tell me theirs "Another Version".

Is this Correct please?

Many thanks

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Hi Paul. No, I indeed have Ultimate Terrain X. I believe you have version 2.3, just like I do. I take it my installer's screen shot differs from yours? This is the one I own.

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utxusa

As long as your version says version 2.3, it shouldn't matter. It may be possible we purchased UTX from different vendors so the installation packages look slightly different.

Edited by TextRich

Hi TextRich, Thanks again.

I Have never been offered this Option.

"you accidentally chose Boxed FSX instead of FSX (Steam)."

Thinking of Uninstalling "FSX Steam Edition" and "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Gold Edition" Using Revo Uninstaller and Starting with a New Installation of both.

What do you think Please ? ? ?

Paul.

Edited by pcohen

Windows 10 2020.

Paul, I wonder if you did not see options for both because at the time you installed UTX you did not yet have FSX:SE, so the installer did not detect two simulators? If you uninstall and reinstall UTX, you should be given options. So have you tried that?

If you feel it would be easier to have a clean slate and completely uninstall both FSX (and uninstall UTX as well), that's fine, sometimes it is less work that way to be honest. However I would personally suggest that you not re-install the boxed edition at all. As long as you have the Steam edition you will not need the boxed edition at all, and it will just get in the way of future add-on installations. Approximately 95% of available FSX add-ons are easily compatible with the Steam edition and a few more % of that only needs minor tweaks to be compatible. In addition you won't have to worry about reactivation issues with the boxed edition.

If you try uninstalling everything and reinstalling only FSX:SE, and you STILL have issues, then there is another fix that is very likely to work, but it is a quite intensive fix (registry editing) so I would prefer to save that for when all else fails. I don't know how well Revo does in wiping out registry entries.

Edited by TextRich

Hello TextRich. Revo Uninstaller, I Think, Is brilliant.

Once it Uninstalls A programme it Does A Registry Scan for Left over Files Or Folders, then gives You, the option of keeping or Deleting the Files. Well worth a look at.

I will Uninstall both FSX Steam Edition and Ultimate Terrain X - USA and Start Again from scratch.

Wish me Luck !!!

Paul.

Windows 10 2020.

Hi everybody, back again!

I have Reinstalled Microsoft Flight Simulator STEAM EDITION And Ultimate Terrain X - USA ONLY!!!

Am back at the stage where Ultimate Terrain Has a Green Checkmark but when clicked on goes RED.

I am still not getting the option of choosing between the Boxed FSX instead of FSX (Steam). Or other way around.

Thanks

PAUL.

Edited by pcohen

Windows 10 2020.

Hi everybody, back again!

I have Reinstalled Microsoft Flight Simulator STEAM EDITION And Ultimate Terrain X - USA ONLY!!!

Am back at the stage where Ultimate Terrain Has a Green Checkmark but when clicked on goes RED.

I don't understand this part. What do you mean by "has a green checkmark"? As in "Enabled" with Red being "Disabled"? Or one out of the three check mark boxes is green and the others are red or? Being more specific with the issues now would provide more clarity. Many thanks.

Just to save a bit more time down the road, do you recall where you purchased your UTX USA from? And when? I can't help but wonder if your installer was made BEFORE FSX:SE was even released.

Edited by TextRich

Just to save a bit more time down the road, do you recall where you purchased your UTX USA from? And when? I can't help but wonder if your installer was made BEFORE FSX:SE was even released.

I suspect this could be the issue. You are referencing UTX USA v2, while Paul may have the first version.

May also be worth asking about this over in the official support forums as well.

https://www.simforums.com/Forums/ultimate-terrain-and-xpresssim-products_forums_cat7.html