Dear God Help Me

casey jones

I do not like complaining to the people who work hard so I can fly everywhere but

this time I'm at a loss as to why Mr Mike Pearson creates the AI B-52 series which

is a work of art from B52a through B52H and after I wade through all his pages

of this work which is interesting ONLY to find NO instructions for traffic or files

and left without a glue of what to do next...I presume that Mr pearson belives

no one needs instructions for these files from MAIW which I think is a wonderful

piece of work, I give thanks to the people who created McDill AFB and gave me

step by step instructions as to where the traffic files and B-47s went which I fly

today. There are new people joining here everyday many do not know what to

do when DL files. Please to the masters of creation of AC, Scenery, ect take time

out to answer in writing to these new people, I know many already put in their

instructions God Bless You, in my 20 yrs with FS5,FS98,FS2000, FS2002,FS9

I thank you.

If it's flight plans, I can tell you exactly how to do that or I can make them for you.

And yes, I've been known to be called God... dans la chambre. Ooh la, la!... LOL!

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Dear douga66,

I had posted asking for help how I can create traffic for Mr Person's MAIW B-52s 1-12 I have all of

the B-52s for FS9 can you help me create traffic for them?

Thank You

Casey

I can tell you that the best way is to learn how to make them yourself. I learned over time starting many years ago and that was when only TTools was available for the most part.

A great tool available now is the terrific Ai Flight Planner available here http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?Folder=AIFP&JS=TRUE

There is a bit of a learning curve but I would be happy to help with that. Check it out you might just get addicted. ;)

To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Read the manual about Ttools here: http://www.stuff4fs.com/Applications/AIFP/TTools%20User%20Manual.htm

I can't for the life of me find Ttools in the library here at all. Once you learn how to create flight plans by hand you can migrate to AIFP and understand it all.

Casey,

If you are inclined to go at this yourself there is other things to consider other than just learning how to make the flight plans. You have to lay some groundwork too. I see Mike's models cover several eras of B-52' from the 50's all the way to present. So you want to figure out which of those you want flying unless you want everything which of course is your choice.

Also you need to figure out the actual flights you want the aircraft to take such as starting point airport (which you already know) and destination or just TNG's or a combination of both. You can also choose weekly plans where they do something different each day of the week or a 24 hour plan where the same thing occurs every day.

Just food for thought...

To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

there shouldn't be much need to worry about adding one plane made by a great or well done modeler, just look up how to make ai flightplans!!

heres a vido tutorial...that um "hint" "hint"

Edited by darrenvox

Casey;

You might also want to jump down the rabbit hole and try flying the beast, yourself. :cool:

Go over to Vertavia.com and check out their Freeware section. You'll find a really nice B-52 G and H package to download.

I can hook you up with my sound sets for both aircraft if you need them.

I'm also figuring that you're running FS9, do yourself a favor and install the optional "complex" flight dynamics. In the long run it will make things easier. Then start out at Castle AFB (KMER) for flight training.

As Tom noted, pick a period when you want to fly. B-52 operations changed over the years and there are some distinct "eras" to take into account:

1950's to mid 1960's- High altitude "SIOP" missions and silver planes.

Mid 1960's to mid 1970's- Low level SIOP and high altitude conventional bombing. Camouflage ("SIOP1") becomes popular.

Mid 1970's to mid 1980's- The "SIOP1" paint is starting to fade but the mission remains. B-52's transition from dropping bombs to flying as cruise missile launch platforms. "SIOP2"/Euro/lizard paint shows up (my favorite era).

Mid 80's to early 1990's- SAC starts to feel the pinch as the SIOP mission draws down. Conventional bombing returns as the primary mission. "SIOP2" paint changes to Gunship Gray.

Mid 90's to present- SAC disbands, ACC/GSC take over. SAC bases start to close leaving only Barksdale and Minot.

Each "era" had its own wrinkles in terms of how the planes were flown but for the most part the flight time for the crews breaks down something like this- one week "off" in the Alert Shack then three weeks flying one training mission/sortie per week. Each training mission ran 8-12 hours in total and involved all of the different specialties the crew needed to stay current (Nav legs and timing, refueling, high level and low level bombing, and two hours of "pattern work" at or near the home base).

Flying the B-52 in FS takes commitment. Its actually easier to learn if you haven't spent time in the other "big iron" planes. The B-52 doesn't fly like ANYTHING else and a lot of it is "seat of the pants" with your hands on the yoke. Timing is very hard at first, you HAVE to be on time (plus or minus two minutes) for normal ops and there are other phases where you need to hit your waypoints within 10-15 seconds. I can teach you the basics if you want me to BUT you have to develop your OWN experience to really get it right.

BTW, it isn't impossible. I've logged over 300 hours of flight time with the B-52 in FS. :pilot: Once you figure it out, its a rush. You really feel like you accomplished something.

Anyway, enough of the sales pitch. :cool:

One last thing are some common mis-conceptions about the B-52:

-"Nose art" was pretty rare during the SAC era. SAC was all about standardization and pretty ladies on the nose wasn't "standard".

-Flight crews didn't "own" an airplane. There were usually three crews in each squadron for each plane. If anyone, the Crew Chief owned the plane and the crews got to borrow it from them for training flights. Which ever plane was ready was the one they flew.

- The B-52 is HEAVILY weight-dependent. Your fuel weight (never the amount of gallons) is what determines how the plane gets flown and its a surprising amount of fuel that the plane can carry. Fairly early on, you'll have 488 thousand pounds and 325 thousand pounds etched into your memory (gross max take off weight and gross max landing weight).

- The B-52 CANNOT vent extra fuel unless the tanks get shot up. Let's say you take off at a gross weight of 400 thousand pounds and an engine explodes. You'll either have to eject or call a Mayday and putter around until you burn off 100 thousand pounds of fuel. :eek:

That's a six hour Mayday, btw. Its happened, it happened to a B-52 staged out of Diego Garcia during Desert Storm and they were carrying full racks of bombs.

-Considering the size of the wings and tail planes, the B-52 has tiny control surfaces. This becomes important (really, really important) when you're taking off or landing in cross winds. You can hold the rudder at what ever position you want and it won't make ANY difference until you get above 90 knots. Likewise, "elephant walking" a B-52 during taxi ops is a bit of an art. You really should limit your first two to three training flights to just getting used to how the plane taxis in calm winds and heavier cross winds (that vert tail really likes to weather vane the plane below 90 knots). That also brings up the subject of Minot AFB. Trust me, you'll really get good at taxi ops if you chose Minot as your home field. ;)

-Its perfectly normal to be flying straight and level at a holding altitude with the nose pointing 5 degrees DOWN. :confused:

Likewise, those external fuel tanks on the G and H models work kinda backwards from every other plane that uses external tanks. That isn't fuel, its a counter weight to help reduce the wing flex (18 feet of wing flex up AND down at the tips) and you won't pull fuel from those tanks until you're nearly empty. The B-52 is also limited to +2 and -1 G but once you get enough experience, 0 G is great way to quickly pick up speed. :cool:

- Your attitude is critical during take off and landing. The B-52 is best thought of as a "flat flier" and you don't want to exceed 2 degrees up after take off while your flaps are still deployed and you REALLY want to be sure the rear main wheels touch down just before the fronts (like, within seconds) when landing. On the real plane, having the front mains touch first results in what's known as a "pogo" that shoots the nose back up until the plane stalls and drops, which puts the fronts mains on the ground first, again, which results in another pogo and eventually you'll either be explaining to the base commander why you wanted to be a pilot (and how much you'll miss it) or else you'll make a very large and expensive crater. In other words, never pogo the plane. ;) One last thing about landing, "greasing" the plane onto the ground where the wheels just barely kiss the runway is usually not the best way. Wet or cold runways and crosswinds usually mean its better to "slam" the gear down as quickly as possible (again, rear mains always first).

Anyway, the flight model of the Virtavia/Alphasim B-52 is quite accurate once you learn to fly it and it is (IMO) one of the toughest planes to master in FS, plus its free. :cool:

B-52 flight crews were always somewhat unique.

In most branches of the military, if you aren't moving up you should be thinking about moving on (if you miss a promotion, that's pretty much your glass ceiling). In SAC (especially), a B-52 flight crew could stay together for many years at the same ranks and it was no big deal. You were in demand and SAC didn't mind if you stalled out as a Captain or even a Lieutenant (there were guys who were very happy to be Lieutenants and considered themselves top-level co-pilots and Navs, never wanting to take over the other seat) . All that mattered was having enough crews to cover the SIOP.