FSX landing practice program

engineertom

You can actually do this already from withen the Sim. Albeit minus some user friendly settings and programing code fluff in what the program you used to use may have offered.

What you do is start out at the airport in a parking spot. Now open your built-in map and drag the airplane icon some distance before and inline with the runway threshold. Next, set your appropriate airplane elevation in the map. I can't remember if the elevation in the map is expressed as AGL or MSL. It might even say. Then I believe there's another input box there in the map to change your heading. This way you can face the runway threshold. Now it isn't perfect so what you may have to do is once you save and exit the map and are in the Sim again, pause the Sim and press the Y key to enter slew mode and further refine your plane position with the arrow or number keypad if your keyboard is an extended keyboard with a Num pad. While you are paused, go into the cockpit and setup your radios and what not. Now unpause and you're on your way for a quick and dirty ILS practice approach. You can of course change the weather for a CAT III landing or even add wind to practice crabing. I used to do this many times.

At first you may find that you need to set your plane at least 3 miles or so from the runway threshold in an effort to get under or on glideslope. Or learn how to set your elevation accordingly.

It may sound like a lot to do in the absence of a program, but it's all really easy to do without the need for a program, and I'm sure that's just one reason why this map exists in the Sim with those capabilities in the first place. I even think you can punch in a Lat and Long coordinate to take your plane right to that location.

It's been a while since I fired up the Sim's map, and it's been a while since I flown in the Sim. Just been busy with other projects and games at the moment. Just got done reinstalling Simcity 4 and GTA V so been busy with those as of late. Crazy how you build up so many hours in the Sim for years on end and a few months pass without flying and can't even recall some basic Sim capabilities you've used on more than one occasion.

In my original FSX setup I had a program that allowed you to position your aircraft some distance from the runway and you could practice landings as well as ILS. Does this ring a bell with anyone.

EngineerTom, KTPL

81 and still flying.

Do it with ANY flight: Simply save the flight when on approach.

No fancy tricks or software needed, just relaunch the flight from the point where you save it!

Thank you one and all for answers. I think I can work it out.

😜🇺🇸

In my original FSX setup I had a program that allowed you to position your aircraft some distance from the runway and you could practice landings as well as ILS. Does this ring a bell with anyone.

EngineerTom, KTPL

81 and still flying.

Do it with ANY flight: Simply save the flight when on approach.

No fancy tricks or software needed, just relaunch the flight from the point where you save it!

Exactly ! Just hit the reset flight after you landed and there ya go...

FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

• 3 weeks later...