Someone refresh my memory please...

sonnymayer

Wasn't sure how to do a search for this but I recall that on a long flight there was something you could do with the ATC so you could leave your seat for a while and not get disconnected from your flight plan for not responded to ATC but I can't remember what it was. Thanks.

I doubt this is the answer you are after, but I rarely communicate with ATC on an IFR flight until I'm getting ready to descend. Same reason though, so I wasn't disconnected from flight plan. Been awhile since I did that as I've never been impressed with ATC vectoring which I always felt threw me out absurd distances from the airport.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Wasn't sure how to do a search for this but I recall that on a long flight there was something you could do with the ATC so you could leave your seat for a while and not get disconnected from your flight plan for not responded to ATC but I can't remember what it was. Thanks.

The only way I can think of is to wait for a hand-off and acknowledge it, but to NOT contact the controller you are handed off to.

Whenever you are ready, you will be able to contact the appropriate controller for whatever point you have reached.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

The only way I can think of is to wait for a hand-off and acknowledge it, but to NOT contact the controller you are handed off to.

Whenever you are ready, you will be able to contact the appropriate controller for whatever point you have reached.

John

Yes I believe that was it. Thank you.

'Pause' will work also.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

John

This is what I used to do on cruise, then once I was within at least 40 or 50 nautical miles from my destination airport I would make contact to ATC ready for the approach instructions.

Now a days I don't even fly an IFR flight plan due to how asinine ATC can be sometimes. Especially since I long distance fly all around the world in my F-22 moving extremely fast where sometimes you can be handed off to other ATC virtual centers some four times a minute. California would have to be the absolute worst. And what makes it even more of a pain on work load is flying and communicating while playing the roll of ATC yourself in an effort to stay away from lots of other AI in busy skies. And my AI traffic density slider is set to around 40%. Though, I have no absolute control over GA traffic density other than the flight plans themselves. I used a program to create world-wide GA that will only use GA airports for realism all the while keeping them away from commercial airports, their airdromes and occupying already limited and precious parking.

In aviation it's aviate, navigate, communicate. In that order. But in the Sim with very mundane ATC it's, aviate, navigate, ignore. LOL!

"American 1540, turn right 055, descend and maintain.. *TRAFFIC, TRAFFIC* five thousand, contact... *DESCEND, DESCEND NOW!* Joshua Tree approach on 125.325. *CLEAR OF CONFLICT*.

Exactly five seconds latter you're being handed off yet again and dodging AI like mosquitoes on a freeway with the bitching Betty going off constantly and having to aviate, and communicate all at once. Now jump into my shoes and step it up a notch by a factor of 10^5 power where you're in a high performance jet. So in this instance it's aviate, know your aircraft, navigate, communicate.

• 4 weeks later...