Question concerning Airport Design Editor

capndon

Depends on what the object is....

If standard object like Aprons, runways taxiways you can use the Unlock menu to unlock all similar items - i.e if you select Aprons it will unlock ALL locked aprons...

If an non standard object (i.e a library object) say a hanger or hangers you must select the item by left clicking on it and then right click and click on the Lock Object option - if an item is locked there is tick next to the Lock Object listing...

Regards

Brian

Thanks for your reply. When I click on the object it turns orange , then I when right click , the Lock Object option doesn't appear as an option. I'm trying to edit a VOR range and this happens with several airports.

Thanks

Actually, HAHAH stock VORs CAN be edited. But it's a core edit. You have to find the main BGL for the region that contains the VOR and decompile the BGL into its XML files. Then go into that massive XML file and edit the VOR characteristics. Then recompile the XML back to a BGL and Bob's your uncle or maybe sister... LOL

Editing the range of the VOR should be no problem, but I would refrain from editing the name and maybe the frequency. The name may be tied to an approach and that could mess things up in the GPS unless you edit the approaches for the airport/s in the surrounding area that use the VOR as part of an approach, go-around, etc. I'm thinking the frequency can be edited without ill recourse. The location though can't be changed unless again, you edit the airport/s that rely on it for flight plans.

The other thing here is that you can't have a VOR with a range of like 500 miles or some extreme number. The Sim hard codes that limit to like 90 miles or something. I know because I added a fictional VOR at my Area-51 project and wanted to see how far I could pick up the VOR and the limit was like 90 miles or something.

Now with DME and being the radio communications dork that I am, low frequency propagation simulation would be awesome in a Sim. Where you might be tuned to a DME in New Mexico and as your flying over Vegas just so happen to pick up the New Mexico DME on say, 400 KHz. In real life people do use their shortwave radios to pick up DMEs all over the world and then send a letter to the DME owner to get in the mail what is called a QSL card. In order to do this though you need a a high quality shortwave radio with good sensitivity and a good antenna. So I've read...

At any rate, all things are possible and every problem has a solution no matter how complex. It's universal law.