AI Smooth in Win10

Mowgli22

Hi, i have read that AI Smooth works in Win10 with fs9. I install it in the modules folder and it works but when i end that flight and start another it does not work. When i open it, it is not connected to FSUIPC which is registered and also says FS9 is not running, but it is. Update when i open my modules folder and click run as admin. it works, but starting from the taskbar shortcut no joy. Edited by Mowgli22
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

If you're not already, I'm assuming you may need to completely close out the Sim and relaunch to get the module to run again for a new flight. That's just my guess. It might be due to some DLL caching mechanism in Windows 10. I have no idea. What I do know is that Windows 10 requires a bottle of Aspirin with all of its crap.

Now something else worth mentioning, and I say this a lot. In the OS' Vista on up, you need to install the Sim outside of the default programs folder. The reason being is due to the fact Windows protects the programs folder in such a way that it can really muck up add-ons, modules and other stuff from running correctly. Now when I had FS2004 installed it was installed to C:/FS2004. The FS2004 folder was on the C drive its self outside of the protected programs folder. Now with my install of FSX my path is simply C:/FSX and so far so good.

So if in fact you do have the Sim installed under the programs folder, this could be the reason why the AI Smooth module is giving you issues. Though, I'm not for certain. An easy fix to find out and just for the sake of any future issues would be to just create a folder on C drive called FS2004 and do a copy/paste of all the files inside your current FS2004 install to this new folder called FS2004 on C drive. Then you'd have to delete everything in the FS2004 folder that is in the programs folder and run the FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool from here which should redo the registry value to reflect the new FS2004 install on the root of C drive. However, any add-ons you have installed now will have to be uninstalled and reinstalled. So you'd need to uninstall the add-ons first before the great copy/paste migration.

The FS2004 programs folder install causing this issue is only a guess. It could be a whole host of other issues. Did you right click the FS9.exe file and chose properties | Compatibility and set it for XP SP2 and to run as Administrator? I did this with FS2004 and FSX. I don't use XP SP3, just SP2 since SP2 was probably out during the time FS2004 and FSX came out, though I'm not for certain. SP2 is indeed a lot older than SP3 anyway so for good measure I just chose SP2. I'm sure SP3 will work just fine though and I think many people just use SP3.

Food for thought. There is a way to run AI Smooth and AI Separation together to get the benefit of both worlds since both AI Smooth and AI Separation do two different things. Here in the library search for manual.zip. It'll tell you everything you need to know on using both modules together.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Thank you for the info, al lthe points you make are in effect. ie; outside of program files, etc. As long as i click run as admin. it's all good, and that works for me, cheers.
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

One of the less obvious things about running an app/program in Win10 ADMIN mode is that there are two ways to set it up.

Right-click on the shortcut and set ADMIN mode runs the prog ONCE as ADMIN.

Dig down and find the actual .EXE file in its folder, then right-click and select PROPERTIES and THEN set ADMIN, and it always launches that way.

I went thru that trying to get all the functions working for AFCAD2 last week. :rolleyes:

I guess the idea is to try ADMIN on the shortcut first to see if it works, then set the actual .EXE to ADMIN once you're sure.

One of the less obvious things about running an app/program in Win10 ADMIN mode is that there are two ways to set it up.

Right-click on the shortcut and set ADMIN mode runs the prog ONCE as ADMIN.

Dig down and find the actual .EXE file in its folder, then right-click and select PROPERTIES and THEN set ADMIN, and it always launches that way.

I went thru that trying to get all the functions working for AFCAD2 last week. :rolleyes:

I guess the idea is to try ADMIN on the shortcut first to see if it works, then set the actual .EXE to ADMIN once you're sure.

I don't think this is true for Windows 7. If I set a game .exe as Admin and XP compatibility mode via the shortcut, launch the game, exit the game and then relaunch the game again, the Admin and XP compatibility mode sticks via the shortcut.

Further, if I right click the shortcut and open the file location, I see that the source .exe's compatibility settings are also set as Admin and XP just like how I set it via the shortcut.

I think I'm right because I've been setting compatibility mode for various programs and games via the shortcut icon for years and years and never once discovered a reversion of what I had just set in the shortcut icon.

Now Windows 10 being Windows 10 in its "greatness" going backwards might do exactly what you say it does in that compatibility settings set via the shortcut is only a temporary thing.

Something else to consider about shortcuts to .exe's. Some games or programs allow you to pass certain commands to the exe for things like display resolution or to direct an exe to use a settings ini file, etc. You can set that command path via the target box in the shortcut properties and the .exe will do as you ask as that command path in the target box is passed directly to the source .exe. These commands passed via the target box in a shortcut simply don't disappear on a temporary basis. But again, Windows 10 may be a completely different beast compared to what was capable in the now older Windows 7. Though, I would find it hard to believe Microsoft would make options set via the shortcut only a temporary thing seen as how the compatibility and target box settings are right there in the shortcut for you to use from the get go. I'd have to experiment with my Windows 10 LTSC VMware install to find out if there is in fact any differences between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Hi, i have read that AI Smooth works in Win10 with fs9. I install it in the modules folder and it works but when i end that flight and start another it does not work. When i open it, it is not connected to FSUIPC which is registered and also says FS9 is not running, but it is. Update when i open my modules folder and click run as admin. it works, but starting from the taskbar shortcut no joy.

Take FS9 and AI Smooth off Run as Admin and while you are there also off Win XP compatibility mode.

Let me know if magic happens. I reckon you'll see rabbits coming out of your hat! lol

Mark Daniels