Thread: How do I steer on the ground?

Default How do I steer on the ground?

I can't seem to be able to get off the runway in any decent way. I don't appear to have the ability to steer the aircraft once I've landed. Any advice, please?

Clear skies!
    Rick

Turning off the runway onto a 90 degree taxiway can sometimes require differential braking, especially on the larger planes. Look for what keys are used for left brake and right brake.

Quote Originally Posted by rhadkins View Post
    I can't seem to be able to get off the runway in any decent way. I don't appear to have the ability to steer the aircraft once I've landed. Any advice, please?
    If you don't have rudder pedals or a twist grip joystick, you can enable a setting to provide assistance on takeoffs, but I don't know what to do about landings and taxiing. FSX had an auto-rudder setting, but I don't see it in MSFS.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

Quote Originally Posted by Art_P View Post
    If you don't have rudder pedals or a twist grip joystick, you can enable a setting to provide assistance on takeoffs, but I don't know what to do about landings and taxiing. FSX had an auto-rudder setting, but I don't see it in MSFS.
    left/right brake is in the options menu?

Quote Originally Posted by Art_P View Post
    It has one -- I think under assistance/piloting.

It just occurred to me that many of the small prop planes don't have a steerable nose wheel. The Cessnas are steerable, but if you check the Cirrus, Diamond-40 etc. you'll see that the nose wheel doesn't turn with the rudder.

For the SR22, the rudder pedals actually operate the differential braking for you. The DA-40 is a castering nosewheel only and you have to apply the differentail braking for yourself to turn at low speed.

I think that there is a problem with the ground steering in the flight model as well. I was trying to taxi with the Boeing 747 and noticed that it was turning very sluggishly. I went to the exterior view and noticed that the nosewheel was sliding sideways and not turning in the direction that the nosewheel was pointing, almost as if the plane was sliding on ice. The weather was partly cloudy and well above freezing so the nosewheel should not have been sliding.

Quote Originally Posted by gxm149 View Post
    I think that there is a problem with the ground steering in the flight model as well. I was trying to taxi with the Boeing 747 and noticed that it was turning very sluggishly. I went to the exterior view and noticed that the nosewheel was sliding sideways and not turning in the direction that the nosewheel was pointing, almost as if the plane was sliding on ice. The weather was partly cloudy and well above freezing so the nosewheel should not have been sliding.
    Assisting steering moment with left/right brake is what you want.
    Real pilots KNOW this, and it has nothing to do with ice...