Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: KerrSpectives - State Of The Sim

Blog Entries

Default Article: KerrSpectives - State Of The Sim

Agree with you 100%. For the time being I am staying away from MODs, including those from official FS2020 contributors/developers. I am new with Flight Simulators, played with them before when the first FS was released and never got into it I guess because of the lack of realism, but I have been in PC gaming since 1982 and I am used to it by now, because it never fails, every time a game receives a patch, it steps on the mod's toes. It does not matter if the game have a "MOD folder" like the Sims 4, for example, or a "Community Folder" like FS2020, MODs always break and have to play catchup. I think Asobo should have kept the Community folder in a temporary locked state until they iron out the bugs.
    By the way, when the Rex Weather Force app/plugin broke, it took the developer a day to fix it. Liveries/skins broke too, but to fix them, the creators will have to tweak each one of them, which is tedious work.
    I am one of those newbies, so it doesn't affect me much and I am happy if I can just keep my plane in the air, but I can see how someone like you will get upset about it. Now, go pet your dog and give him a treat!

Thank you for and HONEST analysis of the state of MSFS. I was one of the holdouts who decided not to buy this sim, realizing it is in the Beta mode and not fully developed to the point where nothing breaks. I have a feeling it will be quite some time before all the issues are resolved. If the sim survives, I will buy it at some point in the future, but not today. I will stick with my P3dv4.5 and watch MSFS to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SpookyDiver View Post
    Agree with you 100%. For the time being I am staying away from MODs, including those from official FS2020 contributors/developers. I am new with Flight Simulators, played with them before when the first FS was released and never got into it I guess because of the lack of realism, but I have been in PC gaming since 1982 and I am used to it by now, because it never fails, every time a game receives a patch, it steps on the mod's toes. It does not matter if the game have a "MOD folder" like the Sims 4, for example, or a "Community Folder" like FS2020, MODs always break and have to play catchup. I think Asobo should have kept the Community folder in a temporary locked state until they iron out the bugs.
    By the way, when the Rex Weather Force app/plugin broke, it took the developer a day to fix it. Liveries/skins broke too, but to fix them, the creators will have to tweak each one of them, which is tedious work.
    I am one of those newbies, so it doesn't affect me much and I am happy if I can just keep my plane in the air, but I can see how someone like you will get upset about it. Now, go pet your dog and give him a treat!
    Thank you for your comments, and welcome "back" to our wonderful hobby. Like you, I am happy to "keep my plane in the air." I use flightsim mostly for short VFR flights in General Aviation aircraft. As such, what I really hope for is consistency of the experience, along with a general evolution to better fidelity. The new sim promised the latter in spades, and they went a very long way towards delivering it. That's why I am so saddened when their incremental "fix the fix" approach removes consistency and reliability from the experience. They are capable of more, but the approach needs to be re-thought now, before they get in so deep it is hard to dig out..

And, the dog is just fine! (See picture below!)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pilotDutchie.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	223593
    Last edited by KennethKerr; 11-01-2020 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by owend View Post
    Thank you for and HONEST analysis of the state of MSFS. I was one of the holdouts who decided not to buy this sim, realizing it is in the Beta mode and not fully developed to the point where nothing breaks. I have a feeling it will be quite some time before all the issues are resolved. If the sim survives, I will buy it at some point in the future, but not today. I will stick with my P3dv4.5 and watch MSFS to see what happens.
    In some ways, I wish I had also waited. I would still be happy with P3d, and not frustrated with MSFS. In the past, I waited years to go from FS2004 to FSX, and then even more years to go from FSX to P3d. In each case, the move was from a stable sim to a stable sim. This time, my impatience caused me to be an "early adopter" and that has clearly brought ramifications I was not anticipating. I think the new sim will survive, and it will become stable over time. But, the current approach may not be serving their highest good, and might ultimately lengthen that period. I believe it was another Frenchman, Napoleon, who once suggested they had to fall back to the original lines in order to regroup and advance.

I am one of the lucky ones who has not had issues with the sim, but I have only flown the TBM 930 and I have not added any mods. I know the TBM well. The TBM performs as it should with the autopilot, follows flight plans, STARS and SIDS correctly. Manual flight for VFR is also great. Based on the number of issues, I certainly agree that more testing should be implemented before additional patches are released. Point #5 in your comments is definitely correct. I am sure that Asobo Studios did not want to release August 18th. That was Microsoft’s decision. Way to many setups and preferences contributing to reported problems. Examples of flight planning, autopilot and manual control are all part of my latest video flying the TBM 930 into the Courchevel Altiport if interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzhgSjRzoNE&t=1945s

Please, don't give up on this sim. Asobo and Microsoft have taken flight simulation forward a giant step. For the first time, I can look out the windscreen and see the world as it appears in real life. That's huge. I guess I'm also one of the lucky ones, because I really haven't had many issues. I'm willing to be patient as this sim is developed and improved, and in the mean time, I'm going to go flying.

I completely agree. I want to buy this sim, but can't sink my hard earned into it yet. If the present path of patches upon patches continues, I have to wonder if it will still be on the market when I do want to make the move. But mostly, I have to wonder what all the so called alpha testers were doing. Flying over your own house forever doesn't make someone a program tester; just another user. Clearly, Asobo didn't get the results they needed from those alpha testers, and the beta testing was way too short. I used to be involved in business systems development, and if these were the best results, I'd have been sacked and the project abandoned. I hope they can find a way out of this mess as we need something better than FSX or FSX spin-offs now. This is an ambitious project and one that we all want to succeed. BTW, loved your VIP addons for FS98. Your add on planes were what cemented me in as a long term flight simmer.

Quote Originally Posted by KennethKerr View Post
    Thank you for your comments, and welcome "back" to our wonderful hobby. Like you, I am happy to "keep my plane in the air." I use flightsim mostly for short VFR flights in General Aviation aircraft. As such, what I really hope for is consistency of the experience, along with a general evolution to better fidelity. The new sim promised the latter in spades, and they went a very long way towards delivering it. That's why I am so saddened when their incremental "fix the fix" approach removes consistency and reliability from the experience. They are capable of more, but the approach needs to be re-thought now, before they get in so deep it is hard to dig out..

And, the dog is just fine! (See picture below!)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pilotDutchie.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	223593
    Thank you for sharing your dog's picture. I had a miniature Schnauzer that used to get on my lap while I work/or play on my PC, or just laydown next to me when he got old. He passed away a couple of years ago and I missed him very much.

I love the new sim. I love that they released it when they did. I love watching the evolution of the process. It's a magnificent sim to experience even if it's imperfect. And it WILL get better. Remember what FSX was liked in the beginning ? Remember the first few editions of X-Plane ? Geese, remember the first few editions of Android OS ? Give them time and support. My biggest fear is that all the nay sayers will discourage the thinking heads at Osobo and Microsoft and they'll pull the plug if they get too much negative publicity ? Let's keep it positive folks ! We live in an amazing age of technology and creature comforts. We get to have a life like simulator on our home computers. This would have been unthinkable 50 years ago. I say Thank you to Asobo and thank you to Microsoft and thank you to all the third party developers who add to the experience. Thanks to all the positive people on this forum. Let's keep going folks.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast