flight sim 2020

There will always be those who will defend the new sim no matter what, but the tales of woe just convince me that I have made the right decision to stick with FSX for a couple of years until most of the MSFS bugs are ironed out.

See you in 2022!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will always be those who will defend the new sim no matter what, but the tales of woe just convince me that I have made the right decision to stick with FSX for a couple of years until most of the MSFS bugs are ironed out.

See you in 2022!

Its great for low and slow VFR in cessna. Otherwise your right. Not sure why it matters for the heavy crowd anyways. When you spend most of your time 30 thousand plus feet on auto pilot the other sims cut it just fine.

I am one who tried it, pulled my hair out and dumped it. Good thing I only paid $1 to try it out.

The good thing that could have happened, and probably will not, is wide exposure to flight sims to those who haven’t tried it. Bugs and the absence of any sort of manual will lead to complete frustration with the product. There is an opportunity to lead more users to the community via x-box and I really hope the game (its not really a sim yet) will result in a big shot in the arm for developers.

Meanwhile, back to XP-11 which, in my opinion, is the best sim out there.

Why do some of us manage to fly without problems??

Dissatisfied customers typically tell nine to 15 other people about their experience; some tell 20 or more (White House Office of Consumer Affairs).

A customer who has a negative experience is highly likely to share that experience by leaving a bad review.

A customer who has a positive experience, on the other hand, is unlikely to leave a good review. In our experience, only one in 10 happy customers leaves a good review.

We have not wanted to belong to the silent majority ...

Edited by howlak

See you in 2022!

I can certainly understand why you, and others, would choose to do this. But here is why I made a different choice. Despite some problems with MSFS (such as getting the autopilot in the A320 to work), I am having an absolute blast flying in smaller planes in locales all over the world in breathtaking scenery and real weather, with a feeling of real flight like I never had in any other sim (I am a 20-year veteran of FS9 and FSX). I would much rather be doing this over the next few years than just waiting for the sim's problems to be ironed out. But that's just my take on it.

I am frankly getting fed up with all the negativity about this ground breaking sim, I would prefer the fs2004/fsx/P34 crowd to stick to their own forums!

Sure it has some problems, but the developers are doing their best to rectify it by issuing regular patches. I have all of the other iterations of the flightsim on my hard drive, and believe me I enjoy all of them.

Admittedly MS2020 is going to take time to mature, but please be grateful to Asobo and Microsoft for finally bringing a brand new flightsim to us. Just think about all the photo scenery we had to purchase for P3D / FSX in order to enjoy some eye candy, at least in FS2020 I recognise Shobdon airfield ( Shobdon Aerodrome ICAO: EGBS is an airport 6.9 miles west of Leominster, UK) and the surrounding area like it is suppose to be. I can fly over my house in the Malvern hills enjoying great scenery VFR out of the box!

Please lets have some positive comments about FS 2020 and what we are enjoying in this sim and report any bugs/problems on the Microsoft ZEN desk.

Greets to Kapitan, Plainsman, Cobalt and all:D

Edited by misbah

There are not many positives to report .Right now there are more problems than things that work.

By which you mean that YOUR GoFlight controllers don't work with it, and that's everyone else's fault except GoFlight's and your own. Microsoft made it perfectly clear which controllers would be supported right now, in fact here's the list once again since you obviously didn't bother to read it:

Microsoft Flight Simulator: Recommended peripherals

For those who plan to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator, the company recommends the following peripherals, which include a variety of flight controls:

Honeycomb

Honeycomb Aeronautical

Logitech:

Extreme 3D Pro

Flight Rudder Pedals

Flight Throttle Quadrant

Flight Yoke System

X52

X52 Pro

X56

Thrustmaster

F/A-18 Grip

Warthog HOTAS (stick + throttle)

MFD Cougar

Pendular Rudder

T.Flight Stick X

T.16000M (stick only)

T.16000M FCS (stick + throttle + rudder)

T.Flight HOTAS 4

T.Flight HOTAS One

T.Flight HOTAS X

T-Flight Rudder Pedals

TWCS Throttle

Virtual Fly

Ruddo+

TQ3+

TQ6+

V3rnio TPM

Yoko+

Microsoft

Xbox Controller

Xbox Adaptive Controller

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

By which you mean that YOUR GoFlight controllers don't work with it, and that's everyone else's fault except GoFlight's and your own. Microsoft made it perfectly clear which controllers would be supported right now, in fact here's the list once again since you obviously didn't bother to read it:

Microsoft Flight Simulator: Recommended peripherals

For those who plan to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator, the company recommends the following peripherals, which include a variety of flight controls:

Honeycomb

Honeycomb Aeronautical

Logitech:

Extreme 3D Pro

Flight Rudder Pedals

Flight Throttle Quadrant

Flight Yoke System

X52

X52 Pro

X56

Thrustmaster

F/A-18 Grip

Warthog HOTAS (stick + throttle)

MFD Cougar

Pendular Rudder

T.Flight Stick X

T.16000M (stick only)

T.16000M FCS (stick + throttle + rudder)

T.Flight HOTAS 4

T.Flight HOTAS One

T.Flight HOTAS X

T-Flight Rudder Pedals

TWCS Throttle

Virtual Fly

Ruddo+

TQ3+

TQ6+

V3rnio TPM

Yoko+

Microsoft

Xbox Controller

Xbox Adaptive Controller

Mine work just fine its MSFS that doesnt work.

Mine work just fine its MSFS that doesnt work.

MSFS doesn't work with GoFlight products, which is why Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joysticks sold out worldwide when MSFS was launched, and even Honeycomb yokes are still hard to get hold of.

Just because YOU can't get MSFS to work, doesn't mean that no-one else can.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

There is no doubt that this program has some major and minor problems when compared to the mature simulators. However I think we were advised that this was a product that would continue to be developed as we gained more experience. Given the complexities of the program, the partners involved and the ongoing development required; I'm concerned the developers will run out of money before all the problems are solved. Nonetheless, I'm enjoying the experience so far and expected to fiddle with the program and the peripherals as much as I did with FSX. And hey, I have a nice new rig to fun FSX if MSFS doesn't make it to full maturity.

Lastly, over a million copies of the sim have been sold and there surely aren't a million complaints on the forums.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, GIGABYTE AMD Radeon 5700XT, 32mb DDR4 RAM @ 3600 mbs, Asrock X570 motherboard

I'm concerned the developers will run out of money before all the problems are solved.

They've sold over a million copies at $60-$120 each! If they never sell another copy, they'll still have around $100,000,000 to plough back into the sim. The future looks bright!

I am NOT a 'devout' flight sim person, more an occasional flight simmer who uses them on and off to address his true passion for all things aviation.

MSFS is a brand spanking new product offering that I am finding to be simply phenomenal, even with its growing pains and early release anticipated woes, bugs and gremlins.

For those rabid consumers in the flight sim world at near Shiite levels? Perhaps you might consider taking off your pretend Airline Pilot uniform, come out of your basement scale recreation of the front 20' of an Airbus, have a sammich, go for a walk or a bike ride, see how truly amazing the real world is and wait out this million person "Beta Test" currently underway at Asobo..... Or just play something else for a while?

It's a $60 game fer cryin' out loud, NOT the miracle Covid 19 vaccine/cure for which we've all been praying to our mythical gods.

Sheesh!@

Just sayin'.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

My 4 attempts to download took 14 hours with ethernet cable to modem connection. Download speed for me average 20Mb/s over a phone line (that's phone line). There is no fiber optics or cable service here. The best wifi speed money can buy for phone line service here is 31Mb/s downlink and 3Mb/s uplink. I don't doubt that bit errors are causing problems with my Digital Edition download. I've monitored the Install Packages path files at C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore.

Personally, I can't tell if all files are downloaded, complete or somehow corrupted. I have 68 files @95Gb and only 2 out of 30 planes are listed.

I would be thankful if someone could share their file size and content for comparison.

The 2 out of 30 planes showing is a known issue and the fix is listed on the microsoft MSFS website

"Installing the base sim using a different installation folder than the default folder will only download the mandatory content. To install the non-mandatory content, please do the following:

Step 1: Go to Profile > Content Manager

Step 2: Select the content you want to see in the sim

Step 3: Download and install the content you selected

Step 3: Reboot your computerStep 4: Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator"

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I can certainly understand why you, and others, would choose to do this. But here is why I made a different choice. Despite some problems with MSFS (such as getting the autopilot in the A320 to work), I am having an absolute blast flying in smaller planes in locales all over the world in breathtaking scenery and real weather, with a feeling of real flight like I never had in any other sim (I am a 20-year veteran of FS9 and FSX). I would much rather be doing this over the next few years than just waiting for the sim's problems to be ironed out. But that's just my take on it.

Pretty much the way I feel. This is the first sim ever where the low and slow fly it by hand VFR guys did not get the short end of the stick. In fact we may have gotten the only part of the stick that is working well right now.

I know its going to make me sound like a jerk but I cant help but laugh about that a bit. Its literally been twenty five years in the making. If it takes ASOBO 24 years to make this right for the airline crowd they still did better than me by a year.

Kind of an aside story; Every time I get a new sim I drag my brother over to take a look. He is a non compter guy with not much interest in aviation. Every sim befor this was met with pretty much a ho hum reaction.

When I showed him FS 2020 for the first time flying over our home town on the west coast of FL. the first words out of his mouth were "you can fly this one by site". Out of the mouths of babes comes wisdon.

Edited by natman1965

I am frankly getting fed up with all the negativity about this ground breaking sim, I would prefer the fs2004/fsx/P34 crowd to stick to their own forums!

Sure it has some problems, but the developers are doing their best to rectify it by issuing regular patches. I have all of the other iterations of the flightsim on my hard drive, and believe me I enjoy all of them.

Admittedly MS2020 is going to take time to mature, but please be grateful to Asobo and Microsoft for finally bringing a brand new flightsim to us. Just think about all the photo scenery we had to purchase for P3D / FSX in order to enjoy some eye candy, at least in FS2020 I recognise Shobdon airfield ( Shobdon Aerodrome ICAO: EGBS is an airport 6.9 miles west of Leominster, UK) and the surrounding area like it is suppose to be. I can fly over my house in the Malvern hills enjoying great scenery VFR out of the box!

Please lets have some positive comments about FS 2020 and what we are enjoying in this sim and report any bugs/problems on the Microsoft ZEN desk.

Greets to Kapitan, Plainsman, Cobalt and all:D

Its nice you want to defend this ms2020 , but in my opinion how can we defend something this bad from the beginning it was launched .If we had this much problem with anything we purchase we would be returning it would we expect a car to not run right and to expect the car manufacturer to correct it within the next 10 years ? The truth is its a bad fight sim from the beginning. It was thrown om the market without any testing at all , gosh look at the updates ! by the time they get done with updates we will run out of space on our drives It was only a money grabbing idea fior microsoft I wish i could feel positive but i cant pretend its any good at all Alan

I don't have the problems, so I don't have bad experiences to tell me it is "this bad"?? Mine works about as I expected. There are some annoyances, airliners rocking side to side on AP, and a few missing airports, but my aircraft fly generally as they should, I don't have a problem getting where I want to go in any of the planes I fly (I have not really tried the 747).

Something is causing some folks to have a terrible experience, and others are quite happy? I don't know if it is internet connection, computer issues, setup conflicts, or addons, or all of the above? I do have a good internet connection (78MB/s), I have a reasonably fast processor and GPU and memory. I do have a fast M.2. I don''t think MS deliberately sent out 25% bugged software. Something in your setup is causing the issue, because mine is not experiencing the problems!

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

The 2 out of 30 planes showing is a known issue and the fix is listed on the microsoft MSFS website

Enable "On Line Functionality".

This setting resolved "greyed out" issues I was having with MS20. Resolution may vary with other users.

Content Manager now has 107 instead of 2 results found

My Library is full of more Content than I can deal with right now

Market Place is no longer greyed out.

Summary: Updates downloaded as normal. Data Limit Cap was not an issue. My problems were all due to operator error.

Screen shots for reference.

ON-LINE-a.jpg

Sign-In-a.jpg

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

Its nice you want to defend this ms2020 , but in my opinion how can we defend something this bad from the beginning it was launched .If we had this much problem with anything we purchase we would be returning it would we expect a car to not run right and to expect the car manufacturer to correct it within the next 10 years ? The truth is its a bad fight sim from the beginning. It was thrown om the market without any testing at all , gosh look at the updates ! by the time they get done with updates we will run out of space on our drives It was only a money grabbing idea fior microsoft I wish i could feel positive but i cant pretend its any good at all Alan

Here is the problem: you are having a bad experience with MSFS; to you, that makes it a bad product. But many of us are having much better results, and to us it is not a bad product -- in fact, speaking for myself, but I think many others as well, it has already provided many hours of great enjoyment, by far the best, most immersive ans satisfying flight-simming I have had in 30+ years of doing it. So, you and other MSFS-trashers are in the position of trying to tell us that we are wrong -- that we are either idiots or liars. Clearly that is not a persuasive argument. I suggest you try another tack.

Here is the problem: you are having a bad experience with MSFS; to you, that makes it a bad product. But many of us are having much better results, and to us it is not a bad product -- in fact, speaking for myself, but I think many others as well, it has already provided many hours of great enjoyment, by far the best, most immersive ans satisfying flight-simming I have had in 30+ years of doing it. So, you and other MSFS-trashers are in the position of trying to tell us that we are wrong -- that we are either idiots or liars. Clearly that is not a persuasive argument. I suggest you try another tack.

Yes! I concur 100%

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

Actually, the experience for both groups is true to their reality. The group that abhors it have many different reasons they are unhappy.

First, it was an enormous mistake to release such a complex departure from the conventions of FS2000-FSX in both procedures and commands, without a comprehensive manual! Many of the unhappy users have been flying simulators back to before FS2000. They have become accustomed to the way that series of programs worked, how the autopilot worked, which keys dropped the flaps, and their controllers were made to match the idiosyncrasies of those programs. They first have to unlearn all that old command structure, and learn a new one, without a manual.

Second, you have a lot of folks that have become accustomed to using every addon that appears. Since FS2000-FSX used much of the same code, developers could reliably release new addons without fear of compatibility issues. The new program has a very different code structure, and each update changes the playing field. Developers have to account for a myriad of different hardware, and the largely still minimally understood code of the new program. If you add every finagle you find in some obscure website, your chances of corrupting the program are immense!

Third, you have that enormous pool of hardware created for a different program. Even more problematic, the amount of data this program processes is off the charts compared to any of it's predecessors. The scenery alone would require HUNDREDS of 4TB SSDs to hold the data. Think about that! Then you get the guy with an I5-6400 or an AMD Ryzen 3 1600, that wants to run the sim at 4K on Ultra. Their equipment can't process the unreasonable settings, and you get scenery artifacts that wreck their aircraft. Likewise, you have a huge number of folks with substandard internet connections, who end up with corrupted downloads or streaming artifacts that wreck their aircraft. You have folks that have a Jiwaziy 17 joystick from Albania, and it doesn't calibrate correctly. You have folks that have two yokes and three joysticks, and dozens of conflicts.

Then you have people that have a copy of Windows they bought from a street vendor in Bangladesh. Sure it was only $12.00 but the program crashes or they get locked out.

All of these and a jillion other mismatches, are real to the user that experiences that failure.

Then you have folks that have installed the program on hardware that isn't upgraded every week, they keep a conservative install, that don't add every mod and gimmick, and their computers are effective enough to run the reasonable settings they chose. Those folks don't experience the problems. Their experience is also real! They are not morons, they just manage their setup differently.

Or maybe MicroSoft chose to issue 26% defective software just to hack off their customers? I don't think that is very reasonable!!

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

As someone who's been doing the flight simulators since the subLogic days, I have found that getting the newest and supposedly greatest simulator is always going to have it's teething problems.

I was a hardened FS2004 guy for many years, I swore at one point I would never get FSX. I read all the problems, all the gripes, and thought, I'll just sit here and fly my FS2004. Plus, my machine couldn't handle that anyways. Fast forward 3 years, and I get a system the can handle FSX and I installed it and thought what the heck and tried it. Took my a while to get used to flying with a virtual cockpit, the movements within the cockpit when taking off, the navigating around the cockpit while flying. I didn't care for it at first, but then it grew on me, and I wondered why I hadn't flown virtual cockpits before. My FSX isn't on the best system, but it works, and does exactly what I expect. Have I had problems with it, sure I have. But the majority of the times, I've looked into myself outside the forums. A couple of times, I've mentioned a problem to the forum, and have gotten great responses, usually followed by a "duh" moment in my own head when I read their responses.

Will I go to MSFS, probably not. I have way to much invested with FSX, and I'm very happy with it. I have seen some great videos of it, and looks very nice. But, I'm more of an IFR flier, flying above 30,000 ft, so all the great scenery wouldn't do really anything for me. Plus, I've been doing alot of my own things within FSX, creating military AI traffic, updating military bases (I'm a 12-year veteran of the US Navy, and was a jet engine mechanic on fighters and ASW aircraft), and even recently bringing back some old bases that were either closed or abandoned. All the while, having a blast doing so.

Now, for those who post about their problems in MSFS. Yes, the software has problems, all software do in it's first year or two. I know, I used to work for a major software company and supported those products that came out, some with some bugs nobody expected. But, bashing the program saying it's crap doesn't do you or the program any justice. I very rarely buy a new program within the first 2 years of it coming out, (especially the FS series) because it's going to have teething problems right out of the box. It's common knowledge around the world about software (see Windows OS's). It's going to take a few patches to get it where it needs to be. Take a step back to what you were flying, relax and let things smooth out if you don't like it now. Simple.

Now, for those commenting on those poor souls having issues, be polite and stop being condescending. The old line of "it works fine on my machine" gets very old when you see it. Sure it works fine on your machine, but the other person just might have a system that's fully capable of running it, but it could be a driver, hardware incompatibilty, bad-damaged-corrupt file, who knows what their problem could be. But, they came on here for help, and that's what they should get. Don't try to make your system better than anybody else, you wouldn't like it if someone did that to you, would you?