Don't Try This at Home

BillD22

After taking off from Half Moon Bay airport (KHAF) near San Francisco on a VFR coastal sight seeing flight in our FS2020 C172 G1000 we decide to add a little thrill to the day by flying under the Golden Gate Bridge.

My dad, who was a career Navy pilot, actually did this in a Navy OS2U shortly after the end of World War II while he was temporarily stationed at Alameda Naval Air Station across the bay. In his words, "It was a piece of cake."

Somewhere in a long lost family photo album I remember seeing a b & w picture of him with his canopy open waving to his wingman who took the photo with the bridge in the background.

Turning in, flying under the bridge, and climbing out the other side. Fun fact: The Golden Gate bridge center span height is listed as 220 feet above the water.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b7.jpg

b6.jpg

Edited by BillD22

You know I always longed for those days. I remembered my grandfather telling me a story of the day he paid $4.00 to get a ride in a bi-wing airplane and was able to fly under the Fort Stuben bridge near Steubenville, Ohio. I had the honor of flying him in a C-172 in the early 80's. That is something You can never forget!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You know I always longed for those days. I remembered my grandfather telling me a story of the day he paid $4.00 to get a ride in a bi-wing airplane and was able to fly under the Fort Stuben bridge near Steubenville, Ohio. I had the honor of flying him in a C-172 in the early 80's. That is something You can never forget!

Yes - back in the day you could do stuff like that and nobody got too excited.

Yes - back in the day you could do stuff like that and nobody got too excited.

True enough! And when in the military whether deployed or about to be deployed during a war you were forgiven a lot of stuff as well! They couldn't afford to take us out of the cockpits when we were replacing people already killed or wounded!

Nice shots!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

But did you fly over Deans birthplace, is the question.