Completely confused beginner seeking help and advice!

KellyEllen

Hi. I am a mum with a 10 year old who dreams of being a pilot when he’s older and has been asking for a flight simulator for a while now. Was looking at getting him one for his birthday but am so confused by it all.

Please can I ask your advice on the best one to get for his age?

Thank you x

Hi. I am a mum with a 10 year old who dreams of being a pilot when he’s older and has been asking for a flight simulator for a while now. Was looking at getting him one for his birthday but am so confused by it all.

Please can I ask your advice on the best one to get for his age?

Thank you x

Welcome to the forum!

To start with, what are the specs of the computer it would be run on (or make and model of computer)? How fast is your internet connection? Current flight sims can be pretty hard on a computer, leading to a less than ideal experience.

Besides the computer and internet specs...how good are you or your son at running programs that may need tweaking from time to time? I would recommend not getting the new MSFS 2020 for the next 6 months or so because of all the problems going on with it at the moment.

Maybe he can start with FSX Steam Edition for a fairly low price to start with.

Welcome to the forums, both mum and sun or mom and son! :D

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Your son is quite young at 10. So I'd suggest a simple setup to start with, to see if he likes it, and he can then progress further as he gets older. Often children are very interested and excited about something for a short time, then lose interest and move on to other adventures, which is quite natural in their learning journey. So before you invest a lot of money and effort in a computer and the latest and greatest flight simulator (the world is all abuzz at the moment with Flight Simulator 2020, but as mrzippy said, that's very advanced). I don't have that, I have older software which suits my needs very well, and older sims can be bought very cheaply or got for free, and will work well on older equipment, but that's another story, as kids always want the latest and greatest like their friends and game type software is notorious for needing the latest and greatest computer (hardware).

A good starting place, and quite realistic, with actual aerial photography, is Google Earth. It's free, is well known across the world, and has a built-in flight simulator, which for a 10 year old is not too complicated and will teach him the real experience of flying - ascending, descending, turning, landing etc. (and concepts such as pitch, roll, yaw). It has two planes built-in, a fast jet fighter and a "more normal" plane, he can learn proper flying things in the normal plane, and also have fun with the fighter (and if his friends are visiting him) zooming around. I use Google Earth sim to explore the "real world" (anywhere in the world!). Am happy to help with Google Earth flight simulator if you're interested (as I'm sure many other members can help with tips also.)

You've come to the right place with FlightSim.com, as I'm a new member and am impressed by the very kind, helpful and professional advice, and the many years that this fraternity has been operating. You can feel safe and secure if you wish the FlightSim community take you and your son "under its wing" to get the boy started in the right direction in the right way.

Cheers, Mark (VH-MAD in Australia)

• 1 month later...
This is a fairly old post so you may not see this reply or have already made a decision. Good on your son and anything you can do to encourage his dream is great. First is the cost. A basic can be had for something like $1500 US which my or may not include the flight controls, a yoke, or joystick and hopefully rudder pedals. So if you believe you're son is really committed and you can afford a $1500-$2000 present go for it. Parents spend that much or more on music lessons all the time. Here is an alternative. Has he ever flown in a light plane? An airliner doesn't count. That's just a bus with wings. Your airport will probably have a local flight service that will sell you a ride in a light plane. He should be able to sit in the co-pilot's seat and actually take the controls. Take him for a real flight and find out his reaction. It's just a thought. If you go the sim route there are no end to resources to help him.
Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot:

Besides the computer and internet specs...how good are you or your son at running programs that may need tweaking from time to time? I would recommend not getting the new MSFS 2020 for the next 6 months or so because of all the problems going on with it at the moment.

Maybe he can start with FSX Steam Edition for a fairly low price to start with.

Welcome to the forums, both mum and sun or mom and son! :D

FSX Steam Edition: Your son can tell you how to install on a rig suitable for Steam Edition.

This is a very good suggestion by Raven Flight. I was always interested in airplanes since I was a toddler. My Dad took me to a local airshow when I was about 9 or 10 and we went for a joyride in something like a Cessna. I did just as Raven said, I was in the copilot seat (front, right side), Dad was behind. It was the thrill of my young life! Give your son a Christmas present of such a flight. That will further ignite his passion.

This is a very good suggestion by Raven Flight. I was always interested in airplanes since I was a toddler. My Dad took me to a local airshow when I was about 9 or 10 and we went for a joyride in something like a Cessna. I did just as Raven said, I was in the copilot seat (front, right side), Dad was behind. It was the thrill of my young life! Give your son a Christmas present of such a flight. That will further ignite his passion.

If he's of the age I was when exposed to aviation, then get him in a plane ASAP, not simming!

I learned to fly (gliders) at about 12 years of age.