I need some questions getting back to Flight Simulator

173ABN

I have not done any playing for years. Everything is out dated. I have at hand, tower, Ipad and xbox. The tower is 8-10 years old. I just want to get started again. What equipment do I have to get that will work on equipment that I do have.

What OS is on the tower? I have Windows XP HPE on my tower, and Windows 7 32 Bit on the Laptop! I'm running Fs98 and Fs2002 on the 7 computer fine! WinXP runs Fs98 and Fs2002 great! I have a Logitech Remote Mouse and 101 Key Key Board connected to the Laptop!

Thanks, 173ABN!

Christopher Tarana

Edited by CTarana45

What OS is on the tower? I have Windows XP HPE on my tower, and Windows 7 32 Bit on the Laptop! I'm running Fs98 and Fs2002 on the 7 computer fine! WinXP runs Fs98 and Fs2002 great! I have a Logitech Remote Mouse and 101 Key Key Board connected to the Laptop!

Thanks, 173ABN!

Christopher Tarana

Almost inevitably, new computer required, if you are to take advantage of any of the advances of the last 8-10 years.

Windows 10 is needed to take advantage of 64-bit computing... Look at the recommended specs.

If you can find FS2004, it is still very well supported, it could maybe, possibly run on your tower, depending on the operating system & RAM

No need to spend a small fortune to get a new PC to run the latest simulator as this stage.

Start small, & see how you like it.

Christopher, both your tower & laptop will run FS2004, which is very much still being supported.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I'm perfectly fine running Fs98 and Fs2002 Standard Edition! I have two installs of Fs98 running now, C:\Fs98 and C:\Fs98GW. In the latter, I've installed Bill Lyon's Golden Wings Addon. In Fs2002 I have all Bill's addon's installed too! :pilot:

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher Tarana

"Windows 10 is needed to take advantage of 64-bit computing..."

Windows 7 also provides "the advantage of 64-bit computing". Just install the 64-bit version (just like you'd have to do with windows 10).

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

"Windows 10 is needed to take advantage of 64-bit computing..."

Windows 7 also provides "the advantage of 64-bit computing". Just install the 64-bit version (just like you'd have to do with windows 10).

Yes but DX12 is only aupported in 64-bit compuiting by Window 10... One is only doing half the job with Windows 7...

I hope you're not serious about this..................
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I'm perfectly fine running Fs98 and Fs2002 Standard Edition! I have two installs of Fs98 running now, C:\Fs98 and C:\Fs98GW. In the latter, I've installed Bill Lyon's Golden Wings Addon. In Fs2002 I have all Bill's addon's installed too! :pilot:

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher Tarana

If you happy, thats great, no need to change. I'm also running all of Bill's add-ons in a separate install of Golden Wings. I'm using FS2004, quite a few of Bill's add-ons are for FS2002, but work perfectly in FS2004. I also have a separate version of Golden Wings, but for Vintage aircraft only, thats all the pre GW aircraft. I kept the 2 installs separate, with different splash screens.

Bill's add-ons are great, all with a back story & a car or a boat. Good times, he is missed from our hobby.

I started in the good old days, when the sim came out on stiffy disks. Great fun when my old laptop died & I had to replace it. The new one came without a DVD drive, so I had to remove the hard drive from the old laptop, put it into a case & copy the stuff across. And everything worked! So I ended up with an additional 1TB portable drive. Joys of PC's indeed.

Oh, my laptop has 8GB RAM. Remember that the sims are all 32bit and can only address less than 4GB of ram, no matter how much RAM you have., including the RAM of the graphics card. There is a 4GB patch that will allow the sim to use all 4GB, which does help.

See here: https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Enjoy!!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Bill is a master at using Exclude files to remove some things like Airports and buildings! Tom Gibson said Bill hand modified the Fs98 textures! There are different objects between Fs98 and Fs98 Golden Wings. :pilot: I'm working on a list of landmarks for now for GW!

Thanks, Guys

Christopher Tarana